Google
LasVegasAdvisor.com
Web

Navigation:

FORUMS > Vegas Free-for-All < refresh >
Topic Title: Bone In vs. Boneless Ribeye Steak: What's the Best Value Buy?
Created On 5/7/11 2:31 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wrosie

5/7/11 2:31 AM

Hopefully some of the foodies on this site can answer this question. I did several Google searches and basically found a lot of information on chicken instead of beef.

The question is: I see specials for bone in rib-eye's for $3.99 per pound on occasion. This week it's boneless rib-eyes for $4.99 per pound.

Which is the better deal? Or are they equal?

I don't have a kitchen scale to weight the bones, so I can't comment on their weight.

-------------------------
It's not an age, it's an attitude!

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so. - Mark Twain

Bottom

vpman80

5/7/11 4:27 AM

To figure the best "Value" will depend on what the weight of the bone is.

Bottom

MoneyLA

5/7/11 5:43 AM

Isnt the difference between bone or no bone in the taste and the size of the cut? bone-in cuts are generally larger? and some say they taste better?

just watch out for cows that have had hip replacements... those steel rods in the bones can weigh a lot.

Bottom

orchid

5/7/11 11:29 AM
User is offline View users profile

Personally, I prefer the bone in over the boneless. Somehow it just seems to taste better.

Bottom

chefantwon

5/7/11 3:38 PM

It's not always the case, but the bone-in stuff is larger. Boneless meats are always more pricey than bone in because of the bone. The reason why the bone-in tastes better is the marrow from the bone. Why do you think we broke them up? The marrow is the best part, it very good for you.

I'm Tony and I'm addicted to Vegas.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Bottom

hockeydad

5/7/11 3:49 PM

If I am marinating a steak, I prefer boneless. If just seasoning I prefer bone in. My dog prefers that I do bone in steaks as well as he gets the goodies afterwards.

Bottom

LeoXVI

5/9/11 3:42 PM

Either way, both are a very good price. I buy bone in rib eye (ask the butcher for a 3 rib roast) for oven roasting. For grilling, I ususally buy boneless, cut at least 1 1/2" thick, again, talk to the butcher.

Bottom

double_zero

5/9/11 3:48 PM

Originally posted by: wrosie
Hopefully some of the foodies on this site can answer this question. I did several Google searches and basically found a lot of information on chicken instead of beef.

The question is: I see specials for bone in rib-eye's for $3.99 per pound on occasion. This week it's boneless rib-eyes for $4.99 per pound.

I don't have a kitchen scale to weight the bones, so I can't comment on their weight.

I haven't seen ribeyes at those prices in years. Wow

Bottom

BlackjackPooch

5/9/11 4:58 PM

As far as I am concerned, steaks without a bone should be outlawed. Such purchase penalized by up to 15 years in prison.

What? You've never seen a wiener on the forums?

Bottom

chefantwon

5/9/11 7:12 PM

Originally posted by: double_zero

Originally posted by: wrosie

I haven't seen ribeyes at those prices in years. Wow

Years?? You should shop at Kroger, they have them all the time at those prices.

[/url]

Bottom

vpman80

5/9/11 9:27 PM

If someone is worried about Value first... I don't think they care much about taste...

Bottom

MoneyLA

5/10/11 2:32 AM

Let me put a Vegas spin on this... At Nero's I get the rib eye without the bone, because the rib eye with the bone in is too damn big. add the lobster tail to the smaller rib eye. lucious.

now back to "supermarket sweep."

Bottom

joespoolhall

5/10/11 5:39 AM

A bone in ribeye is a rib steak. Boneless is a true ribeye. Cooking with the bone in will enhance the flavor a bit. Boneless will cost more because it's all meat. Something that hasn't been mentioned is grade. A ribeye with the prices you mentioned is probably select, not choice. I think you're taking a chance on buying a select cut, particularly in a rib/ribeye. Pay a little more and enjoy.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

INdianapaddler

5/10/11 10:17 AM

Generally with steaks, the meat closest to the bone (porterhouse, t-bone, ribeye, etc.) is the tenderest. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Bottom

chefantwon

5/10/11 6:39 PM

Originally posted by: joespoolhall
A bone in ribeye is a rib steak. Boneless is a true ribeye. Cooking with the bone in will enhance the flavor a bit. Boneless will cost more because it's all meat. Something that hasn't been mentioned is grade. A ribeye with the prices you mentioned is probably select, not choice. I think you're taking a chance on buying a select cut, particularly in a rib/ribeye. Pay a little more and enjoy.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Generally, the big drop off in flavor for normal folks is just below the third one. (select) Anything after that will taste loads different as it won't be as tender. Besides, you can doctor select cuts and they will taste quite good without paying the extra money.

[/url]

Bottom

wrosie

5/12/11 2:42 PM

$3.99 T-bones this week, I'm pick some up for the weekend.

I believe this is choice and not select as I have had no issues with the past purchases being tough.

It's not an age, it's an attitude!

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so. - Mark Twain

Bottom

LeoXVI

5/12/11 3:33 PM

It should state on the label if it's select or choice...or just ask the butcher.
Seriously, talk to the butcher. When our local Safeway had Ranchers Reserve choice bone-in Porterhouse for $4.99 a #, we were right over. Hubby talked to the butcher, asked for 3 steaks, cut 2" thick with a nice filet. The butcher brought out a tray, we ended up buying 4. Grilled one for supper that evening(rare-medium). So tender you could cut it w/a fork. The other 3 were suckered using our food-saver. Now, this is a big steak, more than enough for the 2 of us....I use the l/o's for tacos.

Bottom

chefantwon

5/12/11 7:51 PM

Originally posted by: LeoXVI
It should state on the label if it's select or choice...or just ask the butcher.
Seriously, talk to the butcher. When our local Safeway had Ranchers Reserve choice bone-in Porterhouse for $4.99 a #, we were right over. Hubby talked to the butcher, asked for 3 steaks, cut 2" thick with a nice filet. The butcher brought out a tray, we ended up buying 4. Grilled one for supper that evening(rare-medium). So tender you could cut it w/a fork. The other 3 were suckered using our food-saver. Now, this is a big steak, more than enough for the 2 of us....I use the l/o's for tacos.

If you work with meats alot you should be able to see the differences between choice and select. If not, there are cook books that explain the differences and how to spot them.

[/url]

Bottom

boogaooga

5/13/11 2:46 PM

Actually, it doesn't have to be either - the USDA grading process for cuts of meat is purely voluntary. There's a grocery store around here that perennially sells has a special on family packs of KC Strips for $4.99 / lb. It sounds like a great bargain, but if you examine the label closely the cuts are ungraded and frankly not very good - I'm not sure where they get them from, but they're more like top round than strip steaks.

Bottom

LeoXVI

5/15/11 3:40 PM

Originally posted by: boogaooga

Actually, it doesn't have to be either - the USDA grading process for cuts of meat is purely voluntary. There's a grocery store around here that perennially sells has a special on family packs of KC Strips for $4.99 / lb. It sounds like a great bargain, but if you examine the label closely the cuts are ungraded and frankly not very good - I'm not sure where they get them from, but they're more like top round than strip steaks.

Now that is sad. I can certainly tell the difference between top round and a strip steak, and I can tell the difference between select & choice, it's all in the marbling. People get with it....I'm saying again...get to know the butcher...talk to 'em...ask questions...tell them what you want. The butchers know what is being sold. If you're shopping at a reputable grocer, the butcher should be able to answer any questions, and most are happy to...if not, I wouldn't shop at the grocer. My Grandparents worked in the stockyards in Chicago, they knew the cuts of beef. I will always treasure Sunday family dinner, the best part, Grandma would roast beef bones and we would scoop out the marrow and slather it on her fresh baked rye bread. Now, this was free to employees, scraps to feed your family. Now a days, roasted beef bones are a high end dish in top dollar so called gourmet restaurants especially in NYC.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Vegas Free-for-All < refresh >

Navigation: