Topic Title: Tour Player of the Year Nominees
Created On 11/27/10 10:21 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

joespoolhall

11/27/10 10:21 AM
User is offline View users profile

Here they are.

Dustin Johnson - 20/23 cuts made, 2 wins, 7 top 10s, 70.46 scoring average and $4.4 mill in earnings.
Ernie Els - 17/20 cuts made, 2 wins, 7 top 10s, 70.37 scoring average and $4.5 mill in earnings.
Jim Furyk - 18/21 cuts made, 3 wins, 7 top 10s, 70.23 soring average and $.8 mill in earnings.
Matt Kutcher - 23/26 cuts made, 1 win, 11 top 10s, 69.43 scoring average and $4.9 mill in earnings.
Phil Mickelson - 18/20 cuts made, 1 win, 7 top 10s, 70.34 scoring average and $3.8 mill in earnings.

Who's your chice and why?

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

Malibugolfer

11/29/10 9:30 AM

Ric, Furyk. Just for the one more win. If Dustin could have hung on to either major, then no contest. I love that there are 3 old guys.

Bottom

joespoolhall

11/29/10 10:16 AM

Funny, I call those three young guys, go fgger! Anyway, I can't argue with your logic. The one on the list that suprises me is Mickelson. The Masters win was a tear jerker and all. but I didn't feel he had any consistancy this year. I'm sure the arthritis was a big factor and all, but the player of the year should be a factor in more tournaments than Phil was. We'll have to wait and see.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

ken2v

12/1/10 11:02 AM

With a second win I give it to Phil, without a doubt. Might even give it to him, regardless. The most important thing in this sport is majors. He got one, the others didn't. I guess my clincher is -- the 10M annuity notwithstanding -- if you ask the boys whose season they'd swap for, I think they all swap for Phil's, and he'd keep his. That's Player of the Year material.

Look at 1998. Duval won four times, took the Vardon and Palmer awards, and lost out to a guy who caught lightning in a bottle ... O'Meara and his two majors. Yes, two is more than one, but four is pretty impressive in terms of season-long performance, plus scoring average and the coin haul tallied up with the most wins? And the talent level was pretty high across the board in the late-90s. Yet ... O'Meara O'Meara O'Meara and no looking back.

Majors.

-------------------------
Best Travel Writing About America 2011
About.com Guide

Bottom

Malibugolfer

12/1/10 1:51 PM

If I could overcome my emotional side I'd agree with Ken. While Furyk was disappointing at the RC, especially in singles, Phil was abysmal. And I can't shake that. But the Masters was significant and he did clutch out to win.

Bottom

ken2v

12/1/10 3:53 PM

One of Tiger's best retorts is apt here:

"What's Jack's Ryder Cup record?"

About.com Guide

Bottom

joespoolhall

12/1/10 4:07 PM

As much as I'd like to vote for Phil, I can't. I joke from time to time about the old "tits Mickelson," but he's always been a favorite for me. What he does on and off the course can't be denied. No doubt the major is huge, but I feel there was more consistancy with the others, although Ernie had a down period too. Forget the ten mill bonus, I consider that the PGA's version of the lottery. One more win gives it to Phil, but as things stand, I gotta go with Furyk, another of golf's good guys.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

ken2v

12/1/10 4:07 PM

You know, this conundrum really highlights what a superhuman run Tiger had for sooooooooo damn long. A Vijay here or a Duval or O'Meara there, but it's all been Tiger. Maybe this IS the standard condition of the game.

If you guys get a chance check out the new edition of Alaska Airlines Magazine; there's now a digital version on the website. I have a lengthy article in there about pro-ams, with some reflections on how great these guys are. Sure, there's Tiger and everyone else, but those everyone else guys all the way down to 125 and beyond are simply phenomenal players. I played with a guy no one's ever heard of -- Canadian Tour -- and I stand a better chance of winning a Pulitzer than even being qualified to carry his bag, yet no one's ever heard of him. Amazing talent.

About.com Guide

Edited: 12/1/10 at 4:13 PM by ken2v

Bottom

ken2v

12/1/10 4:12 PM

Nothing wrong with that, Ric, makes absolute sense. I guess part of the equation could be the award itself, is it for who is "best," who had the best year, who had the most significant or most impactful year, etc.? If we go with impactful I might run right on over to DJ and give him the goods. But I still like the major and I particular still like what I'm assuming all the guys would say if given the chance to swap hardware for the year.

About.com Guide

Bottom

joespoolhall

12/2/10 9:30 AM

Talking about the talent level out there, about five years ago or so my buddy and I went to the final day of the LV stop. We varied from our usual MO in that we got there around 10am instead of 7am. Walking towards the practice range, which is our favorite part of the tournament. We didn't realize they were going off of slit tees that day to fit in with tv time constraints. Only one person was hitting balls as all the players were already on the course. When we got close we saw that person was Ian Baker Finch, who would be doing analyst chores for the show. We sat and watched him hit perfect shot after perfect shot. This was the guy that took himself off of tour because he had a hard time breaking 75! All we could think was wow! He can't make it on tour anymore, but he hits shot after shot like that. Just shows how good those guys really are.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

ken2v

12/2/10 9:44 AM

And IBF will be the first to admit it's all between his ears. He'd shoot 63s in rounds at the club then go be the first person in history to hit Snappy the Clown OB on the 1st at St. Andrews.

Here's another ... Michael Campbell.

Great story, Ric. Thanks.

About.com Guide

Bottom

Malibugolfer

12/2/10 10:37 AM

I often play with the men's and senior men's champions at Valencia CC. Ask the Champions tour guys about that track. The older guy has played in the Senior US Amateur. He says that an average tour pro is as much better than either of them as they are to 15 indexers. The talent level is ridiculous. And the Nationwide guys are soooo long and so many good guys there too.
The "between the ears" is so applicable to Tiger. A slight hiccup here and there and a 68 becomes a 73. And the fear factor of him must be regained. Not an easy task as in the words of my old college roomate and one time course record holder at Corvallis CC, "the hardest thing to do in sports is regain momentum once you've lost it."
I'll check out Alaska Air Ken.

Bottom

joespoolhall

12/2/10 11:33 AM

It's amazing. You always hear on telecasts that the players on the Nationwide Tour are just as phyically talented as the guys on the big tour. The difference in the tour lays between their ears. The same can probably be daid for the journeyman that always finishes 100- 125 on the money list. He has the talent to be on tour, but lacks the mental game to finish strong. You have to perform when the lights go on.

Good Luck!
Ric at Joes

Bottom

ken2v

12/2/10 12:29 PM

Mal, you are so right. I know a multi senior state open champ and that's the word, a scratch has less chance against a top tour pro than we have against the scratch.

About.com Guide

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > LVA Golf < refresh >

Navigation: