Compiled by LVA Research
• September 1, 2015 17:27 Free Comedy Central Show Tonight: Comedienne Shayma Tash is shooting a Comedy Central show tonight at downtown's Inspire Theater. Tickets are free if you're willing to go through a not-too-tough registration process at showtickets4locals.com. The show shoots from 9 to 10:30 p.m.
• September 1, 2015 16:46 Airfare Sale at Spirit, Too: The budget airline that prides itself on offering no frills, but no hidden fees, is also holding a sale right now, we learned from a helpful Twitter follower. Must book by 11:59 p.m. September 2. (Note that separate fare tariffs apply for Spirit's "$9 Fare Club" members and for the general public.)
• September 1, 2015 15:00 The D Takes the Pis: Surprise! The "headliner" at the D is a statue that will stand at the northwest corner entrance. The statue is a larger version of the artwork from Brussels Belgium called Manneken Pis ("Little man Pee" in Dutch), that depicts a naked boy urinating into a fountain. The Stevens brothers, who own the D, are of Belgian descent and the statue is both a nod to that heritage and yet another sure-to-be popular photo op that will serve to promote the D. "I don't get it," commented Anthony Curtis upon the unveiling, but now he says it's beginning to make sense in the whole PR scheme of things. "That's why Derek owns casinos and I write about them," Anthony conceded.
• September 1, 2015 12:41 New (Secret) Headliner Coming to the D: It's only going to be secret until 1 p.m., so stay tuned; in the meantime, enjoy this hilarious video tease from Derek Stevens and the team at the D and stay tuned for the update -- Anthony Curtis is on-site and an invitee to the official-announcement event.
• September 1, 2015 11:04 Dancer on Maximizing Casino Promos: "Intelligent gambling consists of making a series of smart moves. Some of them pay off. Most don't. But I like the chances of those players who are always seeking and finding ways of gaining an extra edge," writes video poker pro Bob Dancer in this week's column. To gain an insight into what that means, using the specific example of some recent promos that Bob took advantage of, check out the full article.
• September 1, 2015 10:29 PT's Upgrades Two Taverns: The PT's Tavern locations at S. Decatur Blvd. and the 215, and at Lake Mead and Rampart, have recently undergone a remodel, including the addition of USB chargers at the bar seats.
• September 1, 2015 10:13 Southwest Sale: Today through Thursday, Sept. 3, Southwest Airlines is holding a fall airfare sale, with discounted flights to/from destinations around the country, including flights from Las Vegas to select California cities starting at $63 (one-way) and to most other destinations for under $200. Visit the official website for a complete list of routes and fares and full terms and conditions. Travel must be between September 8 2015 and March 3, 2016.
• September 1, 2015 09:57 New $45 Burrito-Eating Challenge: The latest restaurant to throw down the "we dare you to attempt this" gauntlet is Rockhouse at Venetian, with the "Rock Out With Your Guac Out Challenge." The four-pound burrito is filled with carne asada, pico de gallo, sautéed onion, green chilies, cheddar cheese, fries, and lettuce, all wrapped in three 12-inch flour tortillas and topped with sour cream and guacamole. It costs $45.00 to enter the challenge; complete the mission to finish it in 20 minutes or less and the burrito is free. According to our reckoning, this brings the total number of eating challenges in town to 28.
• August 31, 2015 16:07 Football Contest Update: Speaking of LVASports, as we were earlier, check out the latest post from Frank B about the two contests, paid and free, running concurrently at Aliante Hotel + Casino this year. It's his latest in a series of posts that will tell you all you need to know about the football-contest scene, with season-long updates from Frank and Anthony Curtis, so be sure to keep checking out the dedicated Football Contest section, supplemented by regular posts and tweets from @LVASports.
• August 31, 2015 12:54 Downtown (Not So) Grand? Further to last week's talk of trouble at the Downtown Grand, Frank B of LVASports was at the property this morning and all seemed normal; he stepped out for a couple of hours and just returned to find the entire pit cordoned off and in the process of being broken down -- we'll be posting photographic evidence to @LVA_Tweet momentarily. When questioned, staff responded that they're just changing things up and relocating their gaming area, as per last week's official press release (see initial link above). Time will tell, but there are definitely some drastic changes afoot at the Grand, where the Mob Bar has already been bottle-less for awhile.