Compiled by LVA Research
• October 22, 2016 10:36 Big Mess Opens: After jumping the gun last month, we can now report accurately that the Big Mess Bar-BQ has opened at Sam's Town. It's located in the space that was formerly Billy Bob's.
• October 22, 2016 10:28 Debate Scores for Vegas: The third presidential debate was a big winner for Las Vegas, with 71.6 million tuning in and thousands of journalists coming to town. It was the third largest audience ever for a presidential debate, trailing only Reagan/Carter with 80.6 million and the first Clinton/Trump meeting with 84 million.
• October 21, 2016 17:47 Strip Club Debuts Tonight: A new gentlemen's club called Centerfolds Caberet debuts tonight. It's the former Club Paradise across from the Hard Rock. Get more details on tonight's events at ToplessVegasOnline.com.
• October 21, 2016 14:22 Back to the Plaza: Starting at 3 p.m. today, the Plaza is hosting its second annual "Back to the Future" party. The casino was used as the model for the movie's Pleasure Paradise Casino, which was visited by Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) when he went forward in time to Oct. 21, 2015. All three movies in the series will be playing and guests can take photos with the DeLorean time machine. There'll also be a contest for the best costume reminiscent of the movie.
• October 21, 2016 10:22 Halloween Highlights: It's only 10 days away until Halloween and many venues are already well into their ghostly celebrations. Here's some highlights of haunted happenings around the valley:
- Asylum & Hotel Fear - Meadows Mall - $15, Combo ticket $25 - 6:30 p.m.-midnight
- Blood Village - LINQ Promenade - $20, $28 fastpass, $45 High Roller Combo ticket - Wed-Sun and Halloween Night, 7 p.m.-midnight
- Bonnie Screams - Red Rock Canyon - $25 - Oct. 15-31 - 6:30 p.m.-midnight
- Freakling Bros. Trilogy of Terror - 4245 S Grand Canyon Dr. – $14-$35 – Sun-Thurs, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.; Fri-Sat and Halloween, 7 p.m.-midnight - Must be 17 years or older to enter
- Fright Dome – Circus Circus - $36.95-$99.95 – Oct. 21-23, 26-31, 7 p.m.-midnight
Things to Do:
- Avengers Station - Treasure Island – $34 adults; $24 children ages 4 to 11 - Oct. 28 - The first 150 fans in costume will receive free entry.
- Operation Zombie Apocalypse - 4375 S. Valley View Blvd. - $124 – 2 hour virtual adventure.
- Combat Zone Paintball - Zombie Apocalypse - 13011 S. Las Vegas Blvd. - $38 – Fri & Sat, 8 p.m.-midnight
- Container Park – Oct. 28-31 – Free – Open to all ages before 9 p.m. (21+ after 9 p.m.) Enjoy food and beverage specials throughout the day, costume contest, candy walk stations, and live bands.
- HallOVeen at Opportunity Village – $9.99-$21.99 - Oct. 14-31 - 5:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m. - All ages welcome.
- Springs Preserve Haunted Harvest - 333 S. Valley View Blvd. – Oct. 21-23 & 28-30, 5 p.m.-9 p.m. - Family-friendly event featuring trick or treat stations, carnival games and circus activities, a petting zoo, crafts, live entertainment, and much more.
- Haunted Shark Reef - Mandalay Bay – $20 adult; $14 child (Free for children under 12 in costume on Oct. 28, $8 if in costume on Oct. 29) - Oct. 28-29 - 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Town Scary - Town Square – Oct. 31, 4 p.m.-9 p.m. - Trick-or-treating, ghostly games, and creative costume contest.
- Fetish & Fantasy Halloween Ball - Hard Rock - $88 – Oct. 29, 10:30 p.m.-4 a.m. - 21st annual Fetish & Fantasy Halloween Ball featuring 3 rooms and 2 levels of all out Halloween insanity and non-stop entertainment.
- Rock of Horror - Fremont Street – Oct. 5-31 – Free live entertainment and Halloween specials.
• October 20, 2016 17:09 TNF Bears/Packers: The Green Bay Packers are -7.5 favorites over the Chicago Bears in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 46.5. These two teams have a total of 17 Las Vegas bars that follow them, so you have lots of team bar choices tonight.
• October 20, 2016 16:03 Caviar Room: Caesars Palace has opened the Caviar Room inside Restaurant Guy Savoy, featuring caviar-topped appetizers (e.g., kushi oysters and octopus "Pot au Feu") and caviar by the ounce. Three-star Michelin chef and restaurant namesake Guy Savoy will be on the premises Nov. 2-6 to christen the new addition.
• October 20, 2016 10:35 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights: It's the calm before the Halloween storm but that doesn't mean there's a shortage of things to do.
- Mandalay Bay welcomes Billy Idol to the House of Blues (10/21-22)
- Keith Urban is center stage at T-Mobile Arena (10/21) followed by the Rolling Stones (10/22)
- Hard Rock brings Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby Tour to The Joint (10/21)
- The Faint are in the spotlight at Brooklyn Bowl (10/21)
- And comedy-wise there's Norm Macdonald at the South Point (10/21-23); Sarah Silverman at the MGM (1-/21); Don Rickles - Mr. Warmth is at the Orleans (10/22-23), and Tracy Morgan performs at The Star of The Desert Arena in Primm Valley (10/22)
• October 20, 2016 08:18 Trump Bump: Similar to the second debate, Donald Trump picked up a little ground on Hillary Clinton on offshore betting lines. Clinton is still a big favorite, but the pre-debate line of -630 is now down to -590, with Trump backers getting +445. Before the debate, Irish bookmaker Paddy Power announced that it had pre-paid $1 million in bets on Clinton, concluding that the result was a "foregone conclusion." Interesting, but an obvious promotional move from a book known for its creative marketing ideas, as PP is still accepting wagers on the election.
• October 19, 2016 17:11 Dancer Discusses Getting an Edge: One of the best books we've published on video poker is Bob Dancer's Million Dollar Video Poker, because it breaks down, in absolute terms, how a video poker pro gets an edge, then capitalizes on it. Dancer provides a similar explanation with a real-world example in a blog post titled "They Said It -- But They Probably Didn’t Mean It" at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 19, 2016 14:48 Crazy Watch Party: Crazy Horse III is holding a debate watch party tonight, with $5 shots offered every time "Trump complains to a moderator" or "Clinton mentions her relationship with the Obamas." Admission is free for locals, and it's not specified, but non-Nevadans will likely be charged a fee of $33 if you drive yourself and $44 if you arrive by cab.
• October 19, 2016 14:26 Debate Props: Going into tonight's third and final debate of this year's presidential election, Hillary Clinton is a -630 favorite to win the presidency on offshore betting lines. Dozens of props have been posted. Some of the more interesting ones follow.
Clinton says "Billy Bush" +520
Clinton says "basket of deplorables" +2500
Trump says "make America great again" -570
Trump says "locker room talk" +140
Either says "devil" +325
Either says "prison" -120
Either says "LeBron James" +530
Either says "gamble" +220
Either says "blackjack" +1500
Either says "casino" -145
Place your bets.
• October 19, 2016 11:51 Golden Palm Going Down: The building that was the the Golden Palm casino (and before that, Howard Johnson) at Tropicana and Dean Martin Dr. is being demolished. Today! There was no announcement of the demolition, nor anything made public about what may be coming in its place.
• October 19, 2016 08:50 Stones Cancel: Tonight's Rolling Stones concert at the T-Mobile Arena has been canceled. Lead singer Mick Jagger reportedly has laryngitis and decided not to perform on doctor's orders. A second show on Saturday is still scheduled, but could also be canceled, subject to Jagger's condition.
• October 19, 2016 08:36 Debate Snarl: Expect traffic delays all around the University of Nevada-Las Vegas today in connection with the presidential debate. Several roads in the area will be closed from 4 to 10 p.m., including I-15 between Sahara and the 215 Beltway, Maryland Pkwy. between Tropicana and Russell, and westbound Tropicana between Maryland Pkwy. and Swenson. Airport travelers should use Flamingo to Paradise when coming from the east and Tropicana to Paradise from the west.
• October 18, 2016 18:06 Downtown Debate Party: The first debate viewing party we've heard of will be held Wednesday night in the Inspire Theater, located downtown at 107 S. Las Vegas Boulevard. Doors open at 5 p.m. and admission is free, with an after-party following.
• October 18, 2016 14:49 Palace Station Rejects Union: Employees at Palace Station have voted 266-262 via a secret ballot against representation by Culinary Local 226. Earlier this year, Boulder Station employees voted in favor of unionization. The union is disputing the Palace Station result (claiming "manipulation") and is expected to push for votes at other Station properties.
• October 18, 2016 09:14 QoD Switch: Today's "Question of the Day" email listed an incorrect subject for today's insertion. The proper subject is the availability, or lack thereof, of tickets for tomorrow's presidential debate at the Thomas & Mack.
• October 18, 2016 09:09 Governor Signs Off on Stadium: The town is all a twitter over yesterday's signing by the governor of the bill approving financing of a new $1.9 billion stadium designed to attract an NFL team. Now the focus moves to the NFL, where the Oakland Raiders need league approval to move to Las Vegas. Still no solid information on timelines, or even when the stadium will be located, have been divulged.
• October 17, 2016 16:57 MNF Jets/Cardinals: The Arizona Cardinals are -7 favorites over the New York Jets in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 45.5. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 17, 2016 15:14 Grosjean On Betting When the Outcome is Known: Is it cheating to bet when the outcome of a hand is known? Certain gambling statutes indicate that it is. But do those statutes apply to all situations encountered in game play? James Grosjean says no, and he explains why in a new post at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 17, 2016 09:36 Miracle Mile Shops Sold: The Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood has been sold to Institutional Mall Investors LLC. The sale price is being reported as slightly below $1.1 billion, almost the same price as in the recent sale of The Crystals at CityCenter. The 200-store mall is ranked among the top 10 busiest malls in the U.S.
• October 16, 2016 16:31 SNF Texans/Colts: The Houston Texans are -3 favorites over the Indianapolis Colts in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 48.
• October 16, 2016 15:56 Movie Theater Opening Downtown: Eclipse Theaters is expected to open this month downtown at Third and Gass. The three-story complex will have eight theaters, a bar, and a restaurant.
• October 16, 2016 09:57 Sunday Funday 33 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 33" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Along with $100 for first, prizes include an autographed hard cover of The Law for Gamblers, the classic blackjack reference book Blackjack Attack, and our new books, Cherry Picker and Mad Dog Coll. Prizes will again be awarded to the first 14 finishers. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 11805). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• October 16, 2016 09:43 Another Plan for Moulin Rouge: Yet another plan has been proposed to resurrect the Moulin Rouge. A London-based developer wants to build a $1.9 billion resort and convention center that includes a film studio. The renderings look slick, but it's tough to get too excited given all of the proposals that have come and gone for the location since the original casino closed in 1955.
• October 15, 2016 17:58 Sports Bettor Jams Tonight: The band Sin City 4 plays tonight at the Saddle N Spurs Saloon at 2333 N Jones. The bass player is respected sports handicapper Alf Musketa, who was recently quoted in a Wall Street Journal article about sports betting (maybe Alf will throw out a tip or two between sets). The show starts at 10 p.m. and there's no admission fee.
• October 15, 2016 12:15 Free Poker Tourney Tomorrow at Noon: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 33rd Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100, and prizes will be awarded to the top 14 places. Prizes include the autographed hard cover of our new book, The Law for Gamblers, the new Eating Las Vegas 2016, and and the classic Blackjack Attack. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• October 15, 2016 11:27 W Las Vegas Soon to Open at SLS: The giant "W" now in place at SLS is for the W Las Vegas hotel tower at the resort. The 289-room hotel-within-a-hotel is accepting reservations beginning Dec. 1 and a grand opening is planned for February.
• October 15, 2016 10:40 Stadium Plan Approved: The plan to finance a $1.9 billion stadium on the Strip that would bring an NFL team to Las Vegas was approved by Nevada lawmakers Friday. The key point of the plan is a new .88% room tax that will raise $750 million of the price tag. A timetable for building the stadium and implementing the tax have not been disclosed.
• October 14, 2016 16:52 Mortensen and Brunson Named to Poker HoF: Carlos Mortensen and Todd Brunson have been voted the 51st and 52nd members of the Poker Hall of Fame. Mortensen was the World Series of Poker Main Event champion in 2001. Brunson completes the first ever father and son tandem in the HoF, joining pop, poker legend Doyle Brunson.
• October 14, 2016 14:01 db Brasserie to Close: What had been rumored for months has now been confirmed: db Brasserie at the Venetian will close in early 2017. The biggest loss will be the daily happy hour in the bar, featuring $1 raw oysters from 5 to 6 p.m. Get 'em while you can.
• October 14, 2016 09:58 New Book by Thorp Reviewed: A Man for All Markets is the name of a new book by one of gambling's most famous figures, Edward O. Thorp. After authoring the seminal book on card counting, Beat the Dealer, Thorp went on to great success in the financial markets. Read one of the first reviews of what sounds like a fascinating book, just posted at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 13, 2016 17:03 TNF Broncos/Chargers: The Denver Broncos are -3 favorites over the San Diego Chargers in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 44.5. Both teams have Las Vegas bars that follow them.
• October 13, 2016 13:36 Strip Club Closes: That didn't take long. Sophia's gentlemen's club has closed after just two months. If form holds, now on the clock is Striptease.
• October 13, 2016 12:20 Today's Question of the Day Updated: There's a good discussion of the street "entertainers" covered in today's Question of the Day in the Update box, for those of you who haven't read QoD yet or who'd like to return to see the feedback.
• October 13, 2016 11:24 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights: No chance of being bored, that's for sure.
- Funnylady Rita Rudner performs at Red Rock (10/14)
- The Downtown Las Vegas Events Center welcomes Sublime With Rome (10/14)
- Mandalay Bay features The World's Greatest Car Auction with Barret Jackson (10/13-15); Billy Idol at the House of Blues (10/14-15), and Prophets of Rage at the Events Center (10/14)
- The Venetian welcomes An Evening With Al Pacino to the Opaline Theater (10/15), while the Moody Blues take the stage at the Venetian Theater (10/14-15)
- Jimmy Buffet entertains at the MGM Garden Arena (10/15)
- Frankie Moreno wows at the Smith Center (10/16)
- The M Resort welcomes Martin Nievera (10/15)
- And sports-wise, the Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors are at the T-Mobile Arena (10/15); Sam Boyd Stadium features the 2016 Monster Energy Cup (10/15), and the Red Bull Air Race Championship takeover the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (10/15-16)
For more details about these and other upcoming events and full listings of all the production shows Las Vegas currently plays home to check out our Shows & Nightlife section.
• October 13, 2016 11:00 San Diego-Area Casino Opens: Hollywood Casino Jamul has opened in the San Diego area. The $360 million resort has eight restaurants, an indoor/outdoor bar, and a casino with 1,700 slots and 50 table games.
• October 13, 2016 10:07 New Free Football Contest: Klondike Sunset has a free football contest called Gridiron Gold Rush, with $1,000 in weekly prizes. Enter weekly by swiping a Klondike players card at a kiosk. We've added it to our complete list of free contests at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 12, 2016 16:24 Harley Davidson Cafe Closing: According to a report from Eater Las Vegas, the Harley Davidson Cafe will close at the end of this month. The restaurant/bar at center-Strip has been rumored to be closing before to make way for other projects (including an Elvis-themed casino), but continued to operate for nearly 20 years. No future plans for the prime location have been disclosed.
• October 12, 2016 12:30 Dancer on New Games: What new games can we expect to see on casino floors. It's difficult to say, but Bob Dancer knows what he likes and provides his thoughts on the best prospects from the Global Gaming Expo in his new blog post at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 12, 2016 11:48 Skyline Adding Hotel Rooms: The Skyline on Boulder Hwy. is reportedly opening a new hotel wing. Currently a casino only, the addition will have 51 rooms, 18 of which will be suites. The hotel is expected to debut in February.
• October 11, 2016 17:10 Detroit-Area Coffee at the D: First American Coney Island, then Joe Vicari's Andiamo Steakhouse, now Michigan-based coffee is coming to the D. Zingerman's Coffee Company out of Ann Arbor has opened Coffee Stand at the D. We don't know Zingerman's, but we're kinda fond of all things Michigan around here and we reckon it's worth a try.
• October 11, 2016 16:33 Donny & Marie Re-Up: Donny & Marie Osmond have extended their residency at the Flamingo through the end of 2017. The Osmonds have played more than 1,200 shows since they began their Flamingo run in 2008.
• October 11, 2016 09:27 Park Lands on Mars: The soon-to-be-unveiled Park Theater at Monte Carlo has landed Bruno Mars as its New Year's Eve act. Mars will play Dec. 30 and 31, then return for two dates in March. The affiliation is being billed as a mini-residency, so additional performances will likely materialize.
• October 11, 2016 09:11 Atlantic City's Taj Mahal Closes: Atlantic City's Trump Taj Mahal closed Monday, the result of an inability to come to an agreement with the UnitedHERE labor union. The closing is the fifth in Atlantic City since 2014 and leaves only seven casinos now operating there. The Taj was considered the most opulent casino in Atlantic City when it opened in 1990 and gained notoriety for the on-site scenes filmed for the poker movie Rounders.
• October 10, 2016 16:27 MNF Panthers/Buccaneers: The Carolina Panthers are -6 favorites over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 46.5.
• October 10, 2016 12:52 Dean Martin Construction Update: Yikes! It looks like the construction disruption at Dean Martin Dr. near Tropicana that we referenced over the weekend will be ongoing. We're told a new hotel (non-gambling) is in the works and that the area will be blocked off for at least two months. So much for that shortcut for a while.
• October 10, 2016 10:44 Westgate Party Canned?: The theater at the Westgate, the venue for its big Sunday-football viewing party, was closed yesterday -- doors locked and no notices posted. We don't have confirmation that's it's permanent, but our source thinks it is. It was the only viewing venue in town charging an admission fee ($5), which may have had something to do with it.
• October 10, 2016 10:00 Trump Narrows Betting Gap After Debate: While the spot polls we've seen favor Hillary Clinton as the winner of last night's debate, gamblers apparently didn't see it that way. After being down for several hours following the debate, the offshore line is up again this morning with Donald Trump gaining ground. He's still a significant underdog to Clinton, though, who is now lined as the -410 favorite.
• October 10, 2016 08:46 Bonus Points Today: Boyd and Stations are running Columbus Day bonus-point offers. Get 15X points on penny slots, 11X on other reels, and 7X on video poker today at Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam's Town, and Orleans (also Fremont and Main Street Station for locals in zip codes 89000-89199). Get 3.3X points on slots and 2X on video poker at Boulder Station, Sunset Station, Texas Station, Green Valley Ranch, and both Fiestas, and 2X on slots at Red Rock.
• October 9, 2016 15:28 SNF Packers/Giants: The Green Bay Packers are -7 favorites over the New York Giants in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 48.5. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 9, 2016 15:19 Pre-Debate Betting: Going into tonight's second of three presidential debates, Hillary Clinton is a -450 favorite to win the presidency on offshore betting lines. The sites are having a field day with props, now listing dozens that involve everything from the utterance of "Crooked Hillary" to "tiny hands." The estimated viewership is as high as 95 million; the first debate had 84 million viewers.
• October 9, 2016 11:54 Celine Hits 1,000: Celine Dion has hit the 1,000 mark for shows played in the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. Given that she plays to sold-out crowds in a 4,200-seat theater, that puts the ticket count at more than 4 million, with proceeds that exceed the $658 million gross of Titanic,, the movie that made Celine famous. LV Review-Journal entertainment writer Mike Weatherford put the milestone in perspective, writing that Frank Sinatra played 425 shows in Vegas and Elvis Presley a devilish 666, though Penn & Teller clock in at about 3,300 and Mac King's 17 years of two-a-days puts him way out front, at nearly 8,200.
• October 9, 2016 11:52 Twofer Buffet Deal at Silverton: All but the lowest tier of the players club get a 2-for-1 buffet voucher at Silverton on Sundays in October. At the lowest tier, you need to earn 50 points, which will take about 10 minutes on a quarter game.
• October 8, 2016 18:18 UFC Bisping/Henderson: Michael Lisping is a -240 favorite over Dan Henderson in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Gegard Mousasi is -325 over Vitor Belfort.
• October 8, 2016 15:15 Ramsay's Fish & Chips Opens: The long-awaited Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips has opened at The LINQ Promenade. It's Ramsay's fourth restaurant in Las Vegas.
• October 8, 2016 14:56 Smith Into HoF: Congratulations to long-time newspaperman and Huntington Press author John L. Smith for his induction into the Nevada Newspaper Hall of Fame. Smith has been author or co-author on four books for HP: Quicksilver, The First 100, On the Boulevard, No Limit, and Of Rats and Men
• October 8, 2016 09:27 Construction Alert: Dean Martin Dr. (formerly Industrial Rd.) is closed near Tropicana for road construction. It's been closed for more than a week and we thought it would be reopened sooner, but there's no sign of that happening. Detours are in place, but in its current state it's best to use alternative routes.
• October 7, 2016 12:26 A.C. on the Radio Today: Anthony Curtis will be the guest on "The Las Vegas Sports Line" radio show today. The show airs at 2 p.m. on 1100 AM and 100.9 FM.
• October 7, 2016 12:13 Majestic Out of Stadium Picture: Majestic Realty, one of the original partners in the plan to build a football stadium near the Strip, has announced that it will no longer be involved with the effort. It appears that the company's departure will not affect the project, as Sands Corp. will likely assume a larger roll in Majestic's absence. The Nevada Legislature meets next week in a special session to consider the proposed financing package.
• October 7, 2016 11:00 SG Bar Grand Opening: SG Bar has opened on W. Flamingo Rd. near the 215 Beltway. It's part of a new brand called Sierra Gold Elevated and is the 52nd tavern in the PT's Nevada chain, 50 of which are in Las Vegas. The grand opening tonight runs from 6 to 10 pm, with complimentary appetizers and a $50 matchplay for players.
• October 6, 2016 16:56 TNF 49ers/Cardinals: The Arizona Cardinals are -3.5 favorites over the San Francisco 49ers in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 42.5. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 6, 2016 12:04 Question of the Day Update: Concerning today's question about when the players club at Aliante will transition to the Boyd system, a reader has supplied the following information: "The boothlings at Aliante say the cards will change 1/1/17."
• October 6, 2016 11:33 New poll Up -- What Casino Games Do You Play?: What do you play? Video poker? Slots? Blackjack? We're preparing a new ongoing feature that identifies the best places to play the games and your input is important. Let us know by voting in the new Reader Poll that's live now.
• October 6, 2016 11:01 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
- Festival-wise, you have a choice of First Friday downtown, which celebrates it's 14th year (10/7); the Age of Chivalry Renaissance Festival at Sunset Park (10/7-9); The Great Garage & Antique sale at the Silverton (10/8); and the Moapa River Reservation hosts the RiSE Lantern Festival (10/7-8)
- The Scintas continue their mini-residency at the Plaza (10/7-8)
- Mandalay Bay welcomes The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "Heart" to the House of Blues (10/6-8)
- The Palms features ZZ Top and Greg Allman at The Pearl (10/7)
- Cyndi Lauper is center stage at The Joint at Hard Rock (10/8)
- Jay White honors Neil Diamond 1976 at the Suncoast (10/8)
- And comedy-wise, you have Frank Caliendo at the Orleans (10/7); Ralphie May is in the spotlight at Treasure Island (10/7), and Margaret Cho takes center stage at The Chelsea at Cosmopolitan (10/8)
• October 5, 2016 16:23 NL Wild Card Line: The San Francisco Giants are -115 favorites over the New York Mets in tonight’s MLB National League Wild Card playoff game. The total is 6.
• October 5, 2016 13:06 Parcel Near Palms Sold: An 8.6-acre parcel on the southwest corner of W. Flamingo and Valley View has been sold for $13.5 million. The buyer plans to build a non-gaming hotel, apartments, and retail space on the land located just east of the Palms. The parcel was last sold for $50 million in 2004, when it was the planned site of a flashy condo tower called Vegas 888.
• October 5, 2016 09:59 Dancer Admits to Lying: Ah, we just love these provocative teasers. Yep, Bob Dancer told a lie. But it was just a little one, there was a good and harmless reason for it, and it leads to a discussion of why he teaches and doesn't just play. It's a neat little read in his weekly article just posted at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 5, 2016 08:15 Trump in Henderson: Donald Trump is scheduled to speak at a rally today in Henderson. It's scheduled for 11:30 a.m. at the Henderson Pavilion, so expect the attending traffic snarls in that part of the valley. Following his appearance, Trump will fly to Reno for another event this afternoon.
• October 4, 2016 15:11 AL Wild Card Line: The Toronto Blue Jays are -170 favorites over the Baltimore Orioles in tonight’s MLB American League Wild Card playoff game. The total is 8.5.
• October 4, 2016 14:21 Your Vote for President -- Poll Ends Tonight: Our current hot-topic Reader Poll on the subject of who you're backing for president. The poll closes at midnight, so there's still time to get your vote in and be a part of what should be an interesting result.
• October 4, 2016 10:54 Debate Dollars: The price tag for hosting the final of four presidential debates, which will be held at the University of Las Vegas, has doubled from original estimates to $8 million. The majority of the funds are used for security and police involvement. While not a good thing, it’s not a big problem given that the publicity value to the city has been estimated at $85 million already, with three weeks to go till the debate.
• October 3, 2016 17:26 MNF Vikings/Giants: The Minnesota Vikings are -3.5 favorites over the Atlanta Falcons in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 43. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 3, 2016 12:22 Today's Question of the Day Updated: Three updates have been posted to today's QoD on the vibration in the ladies' room at the Fremont: one funny, one corroborating the question, and one presenting a new answer. If you've already read it and want to follow up, they updates are at the bottom of the original answer.
• October 3, 2016 10:28 Bonus Points at Select Stations: Get 3.3X points on slots and 2X on video poker at Station Casinos on specified days this week. Get the bonus today or tomorrow at Boulder Station, Sunset Station, Fiesta Henderson, and Green Valley Ranch; today only at Texas Station, Fiesta Rancho, and slots only at Red Rock; and Thursday only at Santa Fe Station. Swipe your club card at a kiosk to get the bonus. Not valid on 100%-return machines.
• October 3, 2016 09:46 MGM National Harbor Opening in December: MGM Resorts International has announced that the opening date for MGM National Harbor in Maryland will be December 8. Reservations are being accepted as of Dec. 10, with rates starting at $399. Touted as the "first luxury gaming resort experience to the Capital Region, it's located close enough to Washington D.C. to have views of the city and its monuments. Originally planned with a $700 million budget, the final price tag doubled to $1.4 billion.
• October 3, 2016 08:48 Carnegie Closing in NYC: The Carnegie Deli, a New York City institution for nearly 80 years, will close at the end of this year. But while you’ll no longer be able to eat a giant Carnegie corned beef sandwich in NYC, you can still get one in its Las Vegas outpost at the Mirage (there’s another in Bethlehem, PA).
• October 2, 2016 17:18 SNF Steelers/Chiefs: The Pittsburgh Steelers are -3 favorites over the Kansas City Chiefs in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 48.5. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• October 2, 2016 14:25 CG Technologies Hit With Fine: Sports book operator CG Technologies (formerly Cantor Gaming) has been hit with $22.5 million in penalties and forfeiture to the US government for "its involvement in illegal gambling and money laundering," according to a story in the Wall Street Journal. Get more detail from Frank B's account at GamblingWithAnEdge.clom.
• October 2, 2016 11:04 October Casino-Promo News: Jean Scott has posted her regular monthly review of what's newsworthy in the world of Las Vegas casino promos and players club offers on her Frugal Vegas blog. While you're there, check out Jean's recent posts on determining the expected value of a video poker play, part of an ongoing series on the subject.
• October 1, 2016 15:56 UFC Lineker/Dodson: John Dodson is a -125 favorite over John Lineker in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Will Brooks is -300 over Alex Oliveira.
• October 1, 2016 15:15 Entity Betting Stuck in the Mud: The early results of the legalization of entity betting -- the practice of a single entity making sports bets on behalf of a fund representing multiple investors -- have been underwhelming. The problem is that sports books must apply for and be accepted to accept entity bets, and as of now, only CG Technologies has done so. With only one place to bet, the entities' betting options are too limited for them to be viable.
• October 1, 2016 11:00 Gaming HoF Inducts Five: Five new members have been added to the Gaming Hall of Fame. The inductees were John Acres (gaming technology), Lyle Berman (casino owner), Don Brinkerhoff (architect/designer), Redenia Gilliam-Mosee (developed industry’s first diversity program), and Richard "Skip" Howard (early developer of Indian gaming).