Compiled by LVA Research
• November 27, 2014 20:24 Ski Delay: Unseasonably warm temperatures have caused a slight delay in the start of the ski season at Mount Charleston. The Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort is moving the season opening from tomorrow to December 5, as warm daytime temps haven't been cold enough for man-made snow to remain frozen on the slopes.
• November 27, 2014 16:56 NFL Thanksgiving 49ers/Seahawks: In the third of today's three NFL Thanksgiving games, the San Francisco 49ers are -1 favorites over the Seattle Seahawks. The total is 40.
• November 27, 2014 12:52 NFL Thanksgiving Cowboys/Eagles: In the second of today's three NFL Thanksgiving games, the Dallas Cowboys are -3 favorites over the Philadelphia Eagles. The total is 56.5.
• November 27, 2014 08:22 NFL Thanksgiving Lions/Bears: In the first of today's three NFL Thanksgiving games, the Detroit Lions are -7 favorites over the Chicago Bears. The total is 46.
• November 27, 2014 08:17 Thanksgiving Grocery Hours: Last-minute cranberry catastrophe? Forgotten pie filling? Unexpected extra guests? Here's the lowdown on which major food stores are open today, and when, just in case, plus details of those that aren't, to avoid any wasted journeys:
- Albertsons - Stores will close at 8 p.m. on Thursday and re-open Friday at 6 a.m.
- Costco - Will be closed on Thursday and will re-open Friday at 9 a.m.
- CVS - 24 hour locations are open and stores with normal business hours will be open 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Hours may vary by store.
- Dollar General Market - Open from 7 a.m.- 8 p.m. on Thursday and will re-open on Friday at 7 a.m.
- Food 4 Less - Open from 6 a.m.-9 p.m. on Thurday and re-open Friday at 6 p.m.
- Fresh & Easy - Open 24 hours.
- Sam's Club - Closed on Thursday and will re-open on Friday at 7 a.m.
- Smith's - Stores close at 4 p.m. on Thursday and re-open at 6 a.m. Friday.
- Target - Will open at 6 p.m. on Thursday evening.
- Trader Joe's - Will be closed on Thursday and re-opens at 8 a.m. on Friday.
- Vons - Some locations will be open from 6 a.m.-7 p.m. while other locations will be open 24 hours.
- Walgreens - 24 hour locations will be open and stores with normal business hours will be open 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Whole Foods Market - Depending on location some stores will be open 7 a.m.-3 p.m. and others will be open 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
- WinCo - Stores will be open 7 a.m.-3 p.m., re-opening Friday at 7 a.m.
- Target - Will open at 6 p.m. on Thursday evening.
• November 27, 2014 08:12 Happy Thanksgiving: Las Vegas will be busy all weekend for the four-day holiday. Thanksgiving-dinner specials will be available in the casino restaurants and buffets today, including a 2-for-1 buffet at Red Rock when you show a receipt for at least $20 from a Downtown Summerlin store. Station and Fiesta casinos are awarding 3.3X points on slots. South Point has 5X on slots and 2X on video poker.
• November 26, 2014 12:57 December LVA Online: The Holiday Issue of the Las Vegas Advisor newsletter is posted, with the scoop on the latest developments re legalized sports wagering and expert tips on how to up your "sports-betting IQ," plus our annual exhaustive report into the lowest room-rates and where/how to get a Vegas hotel for New Year's. In addition, you'll find the usual smorgasbord of insider tips and finds, like an awesome steak & lobster dinner, two powerful loss-rebate deals, the best squid dish in town, the highest free-play for slots, where to get your photo taken with Santa in a fish tank, and MORE! (Is that even possible in 12 pages? Yes, it is!)
• November 26, 2014 12:10 Lady Silvia Closed: This probably isn't news to many, since it happened a month ago, but somehow it only recently came to our attention, so for others who were similarly oblivious, this is to confirm that the funky speakeasy-esque bar inspired by Prague's Strahov Monastery Library, of all things, and which once inhabited #140, 900 S. Las Vegas Blvd., is no more.
• November 26, 2014 11:00 Atlantic City Developments; Borgata Buoyant: With some albatrosses now off its neck, and additional--if underwhelming--online-gaming revenues now added to the mix, results are beginning to look a little more optimistic for embattled Atlantic City, where the casino industry saw its operating profits rise in the third quarter of this year. The remaining operational casinos posted
a gross operating profit of $147.5 million in Q3, up 7.2% on the same period last year.
Perhaps buoyed by the good news, veteran player the Borgata resort-casino has announced a $13 million upgrade plan, to commence next month, that will see enhancements to the buffet, casino floor, spa and fitness center, and all 40 suites. It's just two years since the 11-year-old property underwent a $50 million renovation that saw more than 1,500 rooms upgraded.
This announcement comes on the back, late last week, of Borgata's partnership with California's Pala Indians having received official sanction, making Pala the first tribe to launch an online-gambling site in New Jersey. Following a successful test period, PalaCasino.com commenced taking bets last Saturday morning.
• November 26, 2014 10:35 Ski & Snowboard Season Delayed: Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort has announced that it won't make its hoped-for Nov. 28 opening date, due to lack of snow. A new debut date of Dec. 5 is what we understand they're now aiming for, with the help of some snow-making equipment, but for updates, check the current conditions on the resort's official site, where we also discovered a cool new webcam to add to our ever-growing and uncannily popular Las Vegas webcams feature in the cornucopia of cool stuff that is our Las Vegas Visitor Guide.
• November 26, 2014 10:09 Uber Blocked Again, Still...: There's been some resolution in the ongoing saga regarding the legality of ride-share app company Uber's Nevada operations and the ruling did not go Uber's way, with a District Court judge in Washoe County approving a preliminary injunction, blocking the company from operating in this state, citing public safety issues. Whether this really spells the end of the road for Uber in Nevada, time will tell, but we suspect this is not the last we'll be hearing of it.
• November 25, 2014 17:49 Magical Forest Opens ... Right NOW!: Yes, the annual Opportunity Village Magic Forest holiday extravaganza just opened around five minutes and 30 seconds ago (@LVA_Tweet followers, note that there's a time-delay on this tweet). There's a passenger train, an enchanted carousel, a 3-D elf experience, gingerbread village, and a veritable forest full of lighted trees, reindeer, and more, plus a real-live Santa, and it's all raising money for a great cause. GA is $12.50 (inc. of fees) for adults, $10.50 for children ages 3-12. Combine your festive efforts by signing up for the annual Great Santa Run when you visit the Magical Forest attraction before the end of November and Opportunity Village will comp your admission, so what are you waiting for?
• November 25, 2014 16:19 Foxwoods Boss Claims Casino Has 'Too Much Gaming': In perhaps the most unequivocal acknowledgement by a casino of the shifting importance of gaming vs. nightclub revenue, industry veteran and current Foxwoods CEO Felix Rappaport is removing slot machines to give over casino-floor space to nightlife venues and other attractions, stating: "We think we have too much gaming." Wow. Can you imagine hearing that a decade or so ago? Nope, neither can we. He intends to slash the current total gaming inventory of approximately 5,800 slot machines and 350 table games, spread across several individual floors, to around 4,800 and 250, which represents a significant cutback to the tune of approximately 17% and 30%, respectively.
• November 25, 2014 15:59 Jean Scott Finds Much to be Thankful For: Amidst all the complaining about resort fees, 6:5 blackjack, tighter machines, and so on, in her latest post Frugal Vegas blogger Jean Scott still finds much to be grateful for as Thanksgiving Day draws near.
• November 25, 2014 14:01 Downtown Holiday Lightings: Thanks to the Fremont Street Experience Twitter, ?@FSELV, for sharing this exclusive (until now!) tidbit, with advance notice that this year's tree lighting will take place on Dec. 9, while the annual menorah lighting will be on Dec. 16. You read it here first, folks (unless you were paying more attention than we were to our @LVA_Tweet, of course... Oops!) We've yet to hear back from the Forum Shops at Caesars, which makes us fear that there is no planned return slated for the Aqua Elves of Atlantis, but we'll keep you posted if we hear otherwise.
• November 25, 2014 12:05 Zumanity Fires Cast, and Other Big Ent. News: If we had read this "racy rumor" from less-informed sources, we might be inclined to doubt, but when it comes to veteran gossip columnist Robin Leach, he seldom misses a step, so his report that Cirque's firing of the entire cast of Zumanity at New York-New York come Jan. 3, 2015, we believe him, especially when he punctuates the item with something as emphatic as, "The massive pink slip is for definite." A few of the anchor characters are receiving a reprieve, apparently, but all dancers and other "chorus" members are all for the chop, pending a massive overhaul of the whole show concept come the new year. Read more at Vegas Deluxe, where Robin also provides the latest Strip tips on who might be lining up for a headlining residency at the Colosseum (hint: Katy Perry?) or a DJing residency at a major club (hint: Pharrell Williams? Paris Hilton?)
• November 25, 2014 11:24 New Stratta Tapas Joint Hiring: While looking for Santa, we stumbled upon details for a job fair running today and tomorrow, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day, for renowned chef Alex Stratta's new restaurant, named simply Tapas, at Tivoli Village. There are openings for all positions; check the link for more details.
• November 25, 2014 09:48 LVASports Tweets Cantor Rebate Tip: Our sister Twitter @LVASports, where you'll find dedicated and exclusive sports-betting information and useful tips from Frank B, just tweeted that Cantor Gaming is giving mobile bettors 5% of losses back through the end of 2014. For complete details and strategy tips check lvasports.com/cantor-5-rebate-losses.
• November 25, 2014 09:44 Dancer Ventures Downtown: An intriguing casino offer enticed our video poker expert downtown -- a rarity in recent times -- and he shares his experience and a useful tip or two in this week's column from Bob Dancer.
• November 24, 2014 17:14 MNF Ravens/Saints: The New Orleans Saints are -3 favorites over the Baltimore Ravens in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 50.5.
• November 24, 2014 16:02 Thanksgiving To Go!: Looking for the best of both world's this Turkey Day? We've done some scouting for you and there are some cool and wallet-friendly options for those
mashed couch potatoes who want the full-on festive meal without having to cook, or even leave the comfort of their armchairs (aside from actually having to go get it, of course, and you could probably even call a cab, if you're confident the driver won't be tempted to snack on your rolls or nibble your pie). Hurry, the closing date for some orders is TODAY!:
• November 24, 2014 14:56 Smashing Pumpkins to Vegas: The Smashing Pumpkins have added a Dec. 13th gig at Las Vegas' Brooklyn Bowl to their sold-out international tour. Tickets go on sale tomorrow Tuesday, Nov. 25th, at 10 a.m. PST via Ticketfly.com.
• November 24, 2014 14:23 Caesars Challenges Default Notice: Caesars Entertainment is dismissing as "meritless" a default notice issued Friday to operating unit Caesars Entertainment Operating Co. by senior lenders, via trustee UMB Bank, in relation to $1.25 billion in notes. CET is denying the validity of the Nov. 21 notice, its first to date from a first-lien creditor group, claiming that no default event has occurred as far as the company is concerned.
• November 24, 2014 10:28 Ongoing Drama at Crazy Horse Too: The long-shuttered strip club that briefly sprang back to life, under various monikers, only to close again indefinitely due to licensing issues, is now once again fighting for its name, with legal representation for Russell Road Food and Beverage arguing that purchaser Michael Galem and others had "only acquired the land and not the trademark" during a 2011 federal foreclosure sale and that the name was intellectual property still owned by former owners Rick Rizzolo and The Power Company. 9th Circuit Judge John Noonan suggested last week that the case was "too complicated" for the appeals court and should be decided by the Nevada Federal District Court, according to courthousenews. The club had latterly traded once more under the Crazy Horse Too name, after Galam won another case against rival local club Crazy Horse III. For more on this ongoing and at times bizarre saga, see ToplessVegasOnline.com.
• November 24, 2014 10:23 Sunset Station Sports Book Robbed: Police are seeking information about a suspect who allegedly robbed the race and sports book at Sunset Station at gunpoint at about 6 p.m. Saturday, reports the R-J. It has not been disclosed how much cash was taken in the robbery; the perpetrator fled on foot.
• November 24, 2014 09:58 Hope for Revel Sale?: We've just learned that on Friday, attorneys for the shuttered Atlantic City resort-casino told a bankruptcy judge that they were prepared to meet today in a last-ditch attempt to rescue the $110 million sale to Brookfield Property Partners that fell through last Wednesday. There's been no indication that Brookfield is willing to reopen negotiations, however. (For more on last week's surprise announcement, and the possibility of eccentric losing bidder Glenn Straub returning to the fray, see casino-business blogger David McKee's "Stiffs & Georges").
• November 23, 2014 16:50 SNF Cowboys/Giants: The Dallas Cowboys are -4.5 favorites over the New York Giants in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 48.
• November 23, 2014 10:36 Gold in Phoenix: We've just gotten word that the Apache Gold casino near Phoenix is running a juicy promotion that triples any free-play offer from another casino up to $300. You can apparently bring in the same offer once per day until the end of the month. We received the tip via Twitter from @RobertGoldfarb.
• November 23, 2014 10:16 Strat Buffet Temporarily Closed: The buffet at the Stratosphere is temporarily closed through Dec. 12. Pricing should remain the same when it reopens Dec. 13.
• November 23, 2014 09:14 Prez Plays Shadow Creek: Now we know why President Obama laid over in Vegas after his Friday rally. LV Review-Journal columnist Norm Clark reports that Obama played 27 holes of golf yesterday on the exclusive Shadow Creek course with former NY Yankee legend Derek Jeter. Clark writes that "Shadow Creek comped them a round of drinks." We're guessing golf, too.
• November 22, 2014 19:03 UFC Edgar/Swanson: Frankie Edgar is a -170 favorite over Cub Swanson in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Edson Barboza is -140 over Bobby Green.
• November 22, 2014 16:59 Buildings Rising: Buildings are rising at the construction sites behind New York-New York and at Silverton. The NY-NY project is the MRI arena. Silverton's is its new tower, which we're hearing may be a timeshare.
• November 22, 2014 16:47 Pacquiao/Algieri Line: Manny Pacquiao is a big -775 favorite over Chris Algieri in tonight's world championship boxing match. The fight is expected to go the distance with O/9.5 rounds at -170.
• November 22, 2014 15:18 Riggle Reminder: A quick reminder to movie and football fans that Dumb & Dumber To star Jason Riggle will be hosting a Sunday football party tomorrow from 1-3 p.m. at Lagasse Stadium at Palazzo. There's no cover and fans are welcome.
• November 22, 2014 13:06 ECan Coin-Droppers Moved: The old-style slot and video poker machines at Eastside Cannery have been moved to an area on the floor near the cage. The "coin-droppers" that don't use ticket-in-ticket-out systems had been housed in a room of their own, but it's been converted to all keno machines.
• November 22, 2014 09:13 JFK Exhibit Opens: While the current U.S. President is currently somewhere in Henderson, today, on the anniversary of his assassination, the Tropicana unveils its new JFK exhibit. This interactive, curated tribute to the life of former President John F. Kennedy features the private memorabilia collection of lifelong collector Jim Warlick, and includes two limousines, a Boeing 707 Air Force One fuselage outfitted exactly as it was on Nov. 22, 1963, a full-size replica of the White House’s Oval Office, and numerous other personal items belonging to the president and Jacqueline Kennedy on display for the first time ever in America. The exhibition will be on show now through Jan. 3, 2015, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, and general admission is $24.95.
• November 21, 2014 18:29 President Still Here!: Contrary to earlier news reports, President Obama did not depart Las Vegas this afternoon; he's spending the weekend in Henderson. This does not surprise us, the only question on our lips being, which of our awesome pizzerias will he be patronizing on this trip?
• November 21, 2014 14:52 Obama Traffic Update: President Obama has concluded his appearance at Del Sol High School and is reportedly on the way back to McCarran International Airport. The area around the airport will be locked down tightly, so try to avoid it if you can until later this evening.
• November 21, 2014 14:48 Road Closures for Obama Visit: President Obama is due to arrive at McCarran International Airport today around noon to speak at Del Sol High School, about three miles from the airport, and to sign an executive order offering temporary legal status to millions of immigrants. Expect road closures in the area and resultant traffic delays, so avoid if you can. We don't know what time he plans to leave, but further traffic restrictions will presumably take effect later in the day.
• November 21, 2014 12:53 Common at Drai's Tonight CANCELLED: Tonight's scheduled performance by Common at Drai’s Nightclub at The Cromwell has been cancelled due to bruised vocal cords. Those who purchased tickets via credit card will be automatically refunded.
• November 21, 2014 10:16 New Dining Option Coming to New York-New York: A new modern-casual restaurant called Tom's Urban is slated to debut before the end of the year at New York-New York as part of the ongoing development of the new Brooklyn Bridge Zone, which has already seen the expansion of Nine Fine Irishmen and the arrival of Hershey's Chocolate World. The new restaurant and bar will offer indoor and outdoor dining options, with a small-plates menu concept featuring international street food with a twist, classic comfort-food options, and cocktails and, by the sound of it, will be open 24/7 (or at least late into the night).
• November 21, 2014 08:54 Cosby Cancelled: In the midst of the Bill Cosby controversy over allegations of sexual misconduct, his scheduled performance next week at TI has been cancelled. The casino issued a statement this morning saying simply that the decision had been made "by mutual agreement." All tickets are being refunded.
• November 20, 2014 17:11 Las Vegas This Weekend: Here's what's up:
- Anjelah Johnson performs back-to-back shows at Orleans (11/21-11/22) <-- and now we just HAVE to watch "Nail Salon" ... again!
- Andrew Dice Clay takes center-stage inside Vinyl at Hard Rock (11/21-11/23), and later, KISS Rocks Vegas closes out their mini-residency inside The Joint (11/22-23)
- Jane's Addiction will be live at Brooklyn Bowl with back-to-back shows (11/21-11/22)
- Oleta Adams performs two shows at The Smith Center for the Performing Arts inside Cabaret Jazz (11/21-11/22), followed by An Evening with (the hilarious) David Sedaris (11/23)
- Texas Station hosts Supreme Reflections: Tribute to Diana Ross and The Supremes (11/21)
- The Long Run: Tribute to the Eagles hits The Club inside Cannery (11/21-11/22)
- Mandalay Bay hosts Local Brews. Local Grooves., which features more than 50 beers from brewers across the southwest and beyond (11/22)
- The Average White Band performs inside Rock's lounge at Red Rock (11/22)
- Usher heats up the party at MGM Grand Garden Arena (11/22)
- Smith Center for the Performing Arts holds An Evening with David Sedaris, American comedian author (11/23)
• November 20, 2014 16:26 Skating at Caesars Starts Tomorrow: Caesars Palace has confirmed that it will be offering its holiday skating fun for the second year running, and it's another real-ice rink, like the one at Cosmopolitan (which debuted today and this year, in an apparent "Keeping up with the Romans" move, has upped its game with the introduction of "real" falling snow). In addition to the snowflake flurries and skating on the famous fountain, Caesars Chalet offers seasonal food and beverage offerings (like Cosmo), with ninety-minute skating sessions to be available daily from 11 a.m. to 11:#0 p.m. through Jan. 11 for $20 per person. Skate rentals are $5 and this year various passes are also available, including the $35 All-Access Pass for unlimited public skating on day of purchase and complimentary skate rental, and the the $150 Chalet Pass, which offers anytime access to the rink without waiting, including private morning skate session.
• November 20, 2014 16:24 Las Vegas Movie Bloopers: Have you seen a Vegas-based film that took some liberties with geography, à la the infamous plane-crash scene in Con Air? Check out today's Question of the Day then send us any gems you know about. Cheers!
• November 20, 2014 10:24 Dumb & Dumber To Star Hosts Football Party: Actor, comedian, and retired U.S. Marine Corps Reserve officer Rob Riggle hosts a football viewing party this Sunday, Nov. 23, at Lagasse's Stadium at Palazzo, from 1-3 p.m. Riggle, who stars in the recently released comedy hit Dumb and Dumber To, will be socializing with fans and hanging out in one of the venue's skyboxes.
• November 20, 2014 10:21 The Killing of Tupac Shakur: It's been 18 years since Tupac was fatally shot in Las Vegas and this morning a notable panel on KNPR's State of Nevada discussed the rapper's legacy and the implications of his murder. Among the panelists was Huntington Press Author Cathy Scott, whose The Killing of Tupac Shakur remains the seminal account of the still-unsolved shooting was recently published in its third edition, featuring material that could not previously be published. The panelists discuss the implications of 'pac's death -- for music, for his contemporaries and subsequent generations, and for the history of Las Vegas. If you missed this interesting and insightful discussion, you can catch it again tonight at 8 p.m. on 88.9 KNPR.
• November 19, 2014 16:43 Brothels, Booze, and Burlesque Downtown: To complement the Mob Museum, historic downtown Las Vegas now has a new option that explores a different dimension of the scandalous past, with the "Brothels, Booze, and Burlesque Walking Tour." Conducted by a female duo, the adventure takes in the former Block 16 red-light district, with tales of the ladies of the night who plied their trade there, plus a visit to the Burlesque Hall of Fame, and some boozy stops along the way where participants can get in the mood with some Prohibition-era cocktails. Embellishments, including the option of a hands-on burlesque class, are also available via prior arrangement. The basic tour is $55, which includes your adult beverages; must be 21 to take part. Visit the A&R Tours website for more information.
If you're interested in catching some live action, Las Vegas has become quite a hub for the neo-burlesque revival scene and home to the Annual Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend and Awards. Check out regular burlesque-hosting venues and show reviews at ToplessVegasOnline.com (where you'll also find listings for legal brothels), while for an in-depth history of prostitution in Las Vegas, there's an epic three-parter in the Question of the Day Archives (8/17, 8/31, and 9/01/2006) but that premium content is one of the perks that's only accessible to LVA Members...
• November 19, 2014 15:08 Station Sells Reno Site: Station Casinos has announced the sale of a 101-acre property on South Virginia Street in Reno to an undisclosed buyer for approximately $2 million. Contrary to an erroneous earlier report, however, the company is retaining an 88-acre parcel on the south side of the Mount Rose Highway, to which it has transferred the other site's gaming entitlement and has long had plans to construct a hotel-casino.
• November 19, 2014 10:12 Spago to Celebrate with Throwback Menu: Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace, which is credited with being the fine-dining pioneer that triggered Las Vegas' culinary revolution, will be celebrating its 22nd anniversary next month and, to mark this auspicious milestone, the restaurant will be offering a special "throwback" dinner menu from Dec. 15-19, featuring some of the signature dishes that first put them on the map, with retro pricing to match.
• November 19, 2014 10:09 Obama to Vegas on Friday: President Obama will apparently be paying a visit to our fair city on Friday, which will likely result in some traffic issues in whatever area he'll be visiting. We'll keep you posted as more details are released.
• November 18, 2014 17:28 Jon Anderson Postpones Boulder Station Gig: Former Yes frontman Jon Anderson has been forced to postponed his scheduled performance at The Railhead at Boulder Station this Saturday due to laryngitis. The Nov. 21 performance has been rescheduled for Saturday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. and tickets for the canceled show will be honored, or refunds are available at the original point of purchase. (Guests who purchased tickets online or via phone will receive an email notice from Ticketmaster.) New tickets for the Jan. 17, which start at $19, are available for purchase now.
• November 18, 2014 16:06 WSO(B)P Moves to Riv: Formerly hosted by the Flamingo, for its 10th anniversary next year, the World series of Beer Pong will take place at the Riviera, with players from around the world testing their hand-eye coordination skills for a shot at the $50,000 grand prize. The event takes place Jan. 1-5 (so don't party too hard on New Year's Eve if you plan to compete!) and registration is open now through Dec. 8, starting at $500 per person (competing teams must include two players), and includes a four-night stay at the Riv and a minimum of 12 games of play in the tournament. Visit the official BPONG.com website for more information.
• November 18, 2014 15:30 Show Closures at Rio: R-J entertainment columnist Mike Weatherford reports that both The Rat Pack is Back and MJ Live tribute shows, currently performing in the Rio's Crown Theater, are to close, with final performances on New Year's Eve. The producer is apparently in talks to move the productions to another property having failed to reach agreement on new contract terms with the Rio. No replacement show has been confirmed as yet for the venue, although there are strong rumors that a musical with Broadway credentials, but based on the unlikely subject of hit A&E show "Duck Dynasty", will be coming to the off-Strip property.
• November 18, 2014 13:54 Betfair Teams with A.C. Nugget: Pending regulatory approval, as of Nov. 21 the Golden Nugget Atlantic City will offer two legal online gaming products, with the announcement that U.K. based giant Betfair will move its BetfairCasino.com there to operate under the Nugget's license, along with the property's own GoldenNuggetCasino.com, an existing partnership with Bally Technologies. While Betfair is essentially known for its online race and sports book and betting exchange, via BetfairCasino.com the company also offers real-money slots, roulette, and blackjack.
• November 18, 2014 13:46 EDC Dates Announced: Electric Daisy Carnival will return to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2015, returning to a little later in June than the past couple of years. Next year's event will take place from 6/19-21 and tickets go on sale Dec. 1. The lineup of performers has not yet been announced.
• November 18, 2014 10:57 Jean Scott Gets Cheesy with the Greenbacks: Harrah's has a new live (human!) attraction, and Jean Scott was so impressed she forgot she wasn't a tourist. Check out the photo at her Frugal Vegas blog.
• November 18, 2014 10:25 Bob Dancer's Adventures at SLS--Part II: This week sees the concluding part of video poker pro Bob Dancer's column recounting his experiences at SLS on opening weekend. We'll let him tell the story.
• November 17, 2014 19:43 Rio for Sale Again/Still?: The Las Vegas hotel, not the Brazilian metropolis, that is, as rumored by entertainment columnist Norm! of the R-KL. If true, the sale of the off-Strip property would hardly come as a surprise, since CET has been attempting to divest itself of the property for several years now and further sales are expected by the debt-laden company, which this year has already offloaded the Showboat in Atlantic City and closed Harrah's Tunica as part of its cost-cutting campaign. Deutsche Bank, which earlier this year itself sold the Cosmopolitan, has been handling any impending sale of the all-suite Rio.
• November 17, 2014 16:56 MNF Steelers/Titans: The Pittsburgh Steelers are -7 favorites over the Tennessee Titans in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 46.5.
• November 17, 2014 12:53 Uber Saga Drags On: This morning's scheduled District Court hearing was quickly abandoned, with Court Judge Douglas Herndon expressing irritation at the Nevada Attorney General's office for failing to make up its mind if it wants the case heard here or in Reno and commenting that the state has yet to show that the ride-share company is causing irreparable harm. The Nevada Transportation Authority withdrew its move for a temporary injunction against Uber but the Taxicab Authority says it will continue to issue citations and impound the cars of participating Uber drivers in Nevada.
• November 17, 2014 12:46 Sports Betting Update: There have been some big developments in the world of sports betting over the past few days. In one major move, fantasy sports league FanDuel Inc., which reports that it has increased its user base fourfold, to 1.1 million, since the season got underway, has reached a marketing agreement with the Washington Redskins for the, making it the first NFL team to partner with the daily fantasy-sports provider.
The NBA has also just signed a sponsorship deal with the FanDuel site, where sign-ups are able to win and lose real money playing the fantasy leagues online, but even more significantly, NBA commissioner Adam Silver wrote in The New York Times Friday that it's finally time to consider legalizing sports gambling, which he recommends "should be brought out of the underground and into the sunlight where it can be appropriately monitored and regulated." This represents a notable reversal of stance, with the NBA currently still officially counted among the pro sports leagues lobbying against Atlantic City's bid to introduce legal sports wagering to the state.
• November 17, 2014 11:42 Dining Upgrade for Boyd: The locals casino brand will be following the lead of rivals Station Casinos and is planning a major revamp of its dining offerings as Gold Coast, Orleans, and Sam's Town in coming months, reports R-J gaming columnist Howard Stutz, who is currently celebrating his tenth anniversary covering the Las Vegas casino business, so congrats, Howard! Back to Boyd, and the first move has been at Suncoast, where new sports bar and restaurant The Game has replaced TGI Friday's. Watch this space for future updates (we just hope they don't mess with Ping Pang Pong or the Noodle Exchange at Gold Coast...)
• November 17, 2014 11:08 Uber Back in Court: The controversial ride-share service returned to Clark County District Court this morning, where a judge is currently hearing arguments for a preliminary injunction sought by the Nevada Transportation Authority. We'll keep you posted.
• November 17, 2014 10:27 Finally, Vegas Makes a List!: Over recent months, we've noted how hip travel-and-gadget site Thrillist, which we're very fond of, has consistently snubbed Las Vegas' offerings when it comes to compiling the nation's "best of" lists, from ramen-noodle restaurants to best Italian, raw bars to dive bars. Huh? We get the oyster thing, since we are in the middle of the desert, but our bar scene doesn't warrant a mention? Well, now it does, since we're proud to announce that Nevada has finally been awarded a new accolade, with word that we're the been named the eighth-most boozy state in the nation. Factors taken into consideration, apparently, included our lack of any "last call" tradition, our ranking as #4 in the the U.S. for alcohol consumption (3.27 gallons per person, per year, allegedly, although it's unclear whether this includes visitors), and for "the existence a place where we can order a Courvoisier up with a twist at 6:30 a.m. while smoking an unfiltered cigarette and playing Pai Gow poker under harsh fluorescent lights." Bravo, Vegas and Reno! Oregon took the #1 spot in this survey, thanks to its ratio of 6.3 craft breweries per 100,000 and some similarly impressive stats when it comes to wineries, distilleries, and bars.
• November 17, 2014 10:13 New Residency for Hard Rock: The latest band to sign up for a mini-residency at The Joint at the Hard Rock represents a departure from the prior line-up of rock giants (Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Mötley Crüe, KISS, et al) with country stars Rascal Flatts bringing a "Vegas Riot!" to the venue for nine dates between February 25 and March 14. Tickets, which start at $39.50 (plus fees) go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 21 and can be purchased direct from the Hard Rock Hotel Box Office, online at axs.com, or by calling 888-9-AXS-TIX.
• November 16, 2014 19:42 Christmas Carols in November? Local "classic rock" station KKLZ 96.3FM has taken to playing Christmas songs ALL DAY LONG. Who listens to Christmas songs in mid-November? Bring back Elton, Alice, and Mick.
• November 16, 2014 17:15 SNF Colts/Patriots: The Indianapolis Colts are -3 favorites over the New England Patriots in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 58.
• November 16, 2014 10:49 Sunday Funday 10 Free Poker Tourney at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 10" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Prizes are $100 for first; a Full LVA membership for second, our new poker book Flop, Turn, River for third, and prizes for all final-table contestants, including our new gambling-cartoon calendar, a copy of our new book, The Moneymaker Effect, signed by Chris Moneymaker, Mad Huey logo wear, plus a "bubble prize" for 10th place. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 6766). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• November 16, 2014 10:45 Marathon Road Closures: Be ready for road closures all over the city today as streets are made available to runners in the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon. The Strip will be closed until midnight, along with downtown streets and eastbound exit ramps from I-15 at Tropicana, Sahara, and Charleston. The main race begins at 4:30 p.m. with 36,000 runners participating.
• November 15, 2014 18:27 UFC Verdum/Hunt: Fabricio Verdum is a -400 favorite over Mark Hunt in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Kelvin Gastelum is -155 over Jake Ellenberger.
• November 15, 2014 14:33 Layover in Vegas: In a USA Today list of the 10 "Best Airports for a Layover," Las Vegas' McCarran International came in at #9. Dallas/Fort Worth was in the top spot.
• November 15, 2014 14:16 Kabob Korner Klosed: Another long-running downtown dining play is gone. Fremont Street East's Kabob Korner has closed, following its neighbor, Uncle Joe's Pizza, which closed last month.
• November 15, 2014 14:07 Sushi Deal for Locals: Locals eat for half price today at Sushi Roku. It's the last day of a weeklong celebration of the restaurants 10th anniversary in the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace.
• November 15, 2014 10:30 Martorano's Adds Lunch: The new Martorano's at Paris is now open for lunch. The Rio location remains dinner only, as it's always been.
• November 14, 2014 18:11 New Resident Act for Hard Rock: There's a male country performer (we're pretty sure) who'll be the next "resident" performer at The Joint at the Hard Rock. The PR team for the venue is teasing now but not divulging until Monday, so stay tuned (unless you have the scoop, in which case email/tweet us immediately!)
• November 14, 2014 14:35 Border Brunch: The new Border Grill location in the Forum Shops at Caesars has started serving weekend brunch from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The brunch comprises unlimited small plates for $34.99, featuring numerous signature dishes from the cantina; add bottomless mimosas for an extra $10/person. Regular lunch will also continue to be available.
• November 14, 2014 14:29 Mob Museum Deals: On Saturday, Nov. 15, The National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement, a.k.a. the Mob Museum, is commemorating the anniversary of the notorious Kefauver Committee hearing with complimentary entry for Nevada residents; non-locals will receive a buy-one, get-one deal on admission.
• November 14, 2014 10:10 Ultimate Gaming Pulls Plug: Ultimate Gaming will announce today that it's ceasing operation in Nevada. The company pulled out of New Jersey earlier this year, so closing down in Nevada marks the end of UG's online-gambling efforts.
• November 14, 2014 09:37 Rink Shrinkage: After last year's veritable flurry of seasonal skating options, with no less than three rinks on the Strip, one downtown, and another at a neighborhood park, this year sees a major reversal, following announcements that Venetian/Palazzo will not have its synthetic skating rink this year, and the same goes for the Gold Spike and Sunset Park. (Lake Las Vegas abandoned its rink a few years back and has no plans to revive it.) If any other rinks are announced, we'll let you know, but for now it looks like this year's options will be limited to the Strip. The real-ice rink at Cosmo's Boulevard Pool returns Nov. 21 and this year will feature snow showers in addition to the traditional fire pits and holiday refreshments, while Caesars' rink and winter wonderland will also be returning, but they don't yet have an opening date.
• November 13, 2014 16:37 TNF Chiefs/Raiders: The Kansas City Chiefs are -7 favorites over the Oakland Raiders in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 42.
• November 13, 2014 14:50 Holiday Cactus Time: Tonight sees the annual tradition of the lighting of the cacti at the Ethel M factory in Henderson, where the three-acre cactus garden will be illuminated with a half-million LED lights now through Jan. 1. The 21st annual lighting ceremony takes place from 5 to 8 p.m. at 2 Cactus Garden Dr., with slated performances by the Jabbawockeez and MO5AIC, plus appearances from former Mayor Oscar Goodman and Santa Claus (putting an end to any speculation that they are, in fact, one and the same). NOTE: Admission to the free event is dependent upon bringing an unwrapped toy to be donated to HELP of Southern Nevada, which will we rewarded with a family four-pack of tickets. Following tonight's ceremony, the Cactus Garden will be open nightly from 5 to 10 p.m. with free admission.
• November 13, 2014 14:46 Caesars to Lay Off 600 U.S. Workers: As predicted (see Today's News 11/12/14), Caesars Entertainment has announced that it is laying off one percent of it's U.S. workforce, which amounts to up to 600 jobs. Of these, approximately 200 are slated to be in Las Vegas, according to company spokesman Gary Thompson, where CET currently employs around 22,000 people. There is no word as yet as to when the cuts will take effect.
• November 13, 2014 14:15 Las Vegas This Weekend: It's another busy one, whether you're a music, car, animal, or whiskey fan (there could be some tough decision-making in store if you're all four!)
- The Smith Center hosts the Inaugural Whiskey Affair inside Reynolds Hall, featuring an array of whiskey and spirit tastings (11/14)
- KISS Rocks Vegas keeps the party going strong during their mini-resedency at Hard Rock inside The Joint (11/5-11/23), while The Dirty Loops (11/14) and Art Alexakis of Everclear (11/15) perform inside Vinyl
- Don't miss Bourbon, BBQ, & Banjos at the Downtown Las Vegas Event Center (11/14), with live entertainment and tastings from over 50 pro teams as part of the ongoing World Food Championships (through 11/18)
- Frankie Avalon takes center stage all weekend inside The Showroom at South Point (11/14-16)
- Jeff Bridges and The Abiders hit Red Rock (11/14)
- Judas Priest performs inside The Pearl at Palms
- Golden Nugget hosts country star Kellie Pickler (11/14), followed-up by Aaron Lewis (11/15)
- Funny man Steven Wright brings his stand up to the Orleans Showroom with back-to-back shows (11/14-11/15)
- Toad the Wet Sprocket perform inside Brooklyn Bowl (11/14), followed-up by Death From Above 1979 (11/15)
- Check out Whoopi Goldberg at TI (11/14)
- Westgate Las Vegas hosts Lee's Discount Liquor's 12th Annual Wine Experience, featuring more than 1,000 wines from around the world (11/15)
- Attention all animal lovers: Freedom Park holds the All Corvette Car Show - Pets & Vettes, featuring food, animal-rescue groups, live music, vendors, and pet adoptions. All proceeds benefit the Las Vegas Valley Humane Society (11/15)
- Over 30 food trucks will be taking over Sunset Park this weekend during the Food Truck Festival, with live entertainers and activities for all ages (11/15)
- The annual Rock 'N' Roll Marathon takes place this week to benefit the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America. Monte Carlo hosts the inaugural after-race Recovery Zone for any and all registered participants, featuring a wide range of relaxation stations and entertainment (11/16)
- And finally, Roberto & Manolin El Medico de la Salsa step into the spotlight inside Hard Rock Live on the Strip (11/16)
• November 13, 2014 12:50 Big Breaking News from Atlantic City: Described by its CEO as "a very sick patient lying on his death bed," Trump Taj Mahal has a new closing date of Dec. 12, assuming its main union pursues its appeal of a court-ordered savings package of member benefit cuts, including the cancellation of health insurance and pension coverage. The resort was originally slated to close last Monday, but won a stay of execution when Carl Icahn expressed an interest in purchasing the property. The billionaire could not be reached for comment Monday, apparently, but from recent comments appears to regret his initial offer.
In other news, a buyer has been found for the shuttered Showboat casino, which is to be converted into a branch campus of Richard Stockton College, a facility located just outside Atlantic City. The terms of the sale have not been disclosed by Caesars Entertainment. It's an ironic development, in light of failed Revel-bidder Glenn Straub's controversial plan to turn that property into some arcane institute of higher learning.
• November 13, 2014 11:23 Good Quarter for Stations: Station Casinos experienced its best Q3 result since 2008, with overall revenues up 2.1 percent at $311 million. The group's properties outperformed the norm in terms of casino revenues, which were up 7.5 percent (compared with a market average of just 2 percent), although interest payments resulted in a net loss for the quarter.
• November 13, 2014 11:14 Another Big-Name Dining Closure Coming: Following the departure of helmsman Mario Maccioni comes word that Sirio, the Italian restaurant at Aria named for the Maccioni patriarch, is to close Dec. 6 to make way for an-as-yet-unannounced new eatery. Sirio joins the ranks of some other recent big-name closures, including sister restaurant Circo at Bellagio, which exited back in September.
• November 13, 2014 11:07 Recycling Day this Weekend: From 8 a.m. to noon this Saturday, Nov. 15, the CSN campus at 1289 S. Torrey Pines Dr. hosts the annual Nevada Public Radio Recycling Day event, where you can dispose of pretty much anything, for free, to be safely recycled. From document-shredding to gently used clothing and toys, electronic equipment, metal, glass, plastic, and even unused or expired medications.
• November 13, 2014 10:48 Another TV-Transplant Show Coming: L-V Sun columnist John Katsilometes reports that the latest reality-TV show to take a stab at the stage will be A&E's "Duck Dynasty", which will be the basis of The Duck Commander Family Musical, slated to debut at the Rio early February.
• November 12, 2014 12:56 Struggling Caesars Unlikely to Cut Back in Vegas: Although a Jan. 14 Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing is sounding increasingly likely for Caesars Entertainment, which on Monday reported a Q1 loss in excess of $900 million (up more than 19 percent on last year), additional cost-cutting measures -- including layoffs -- are unlikely to much target Las Vegas, predicts Fitch gaming analyst Alex Buhmazny, since this is the market in which its properties are performing best. "There is not much upside from cutting back in Las Vegas," observes Bumazhny, although the company is looking to raise between $200 and $300 million in additional cash flow next year, primarily through cost-cutting exercises including layoffs.
• November 12, 2014 11:24 Downtown Hosts Ultimate Food Fight: Nevermind "Ultimate Fighter" -- it's Ultimate Food Fighter time, with more than 300 diverse chefs battling it out in a series of cook-offs set to determine the best sandwich, chili, pasta, burgers, BBQ, bacon. More than 100,000 attendees are expected downtown for this annual event that kicks off today and runs through Nov. 18. There's $300,000 in prize money up for grabs, with a grand prize of $100,000 and the title of World Food Champion for the ultimate winner, so the
steaks stakes are high. In addition to all the eating opportunities, there's also live entertainment, a mixology contest, cooking demos, tastings, the World Food Games, and the second annual Downtown Las Vegas Food Fight celebrity-athletes cooking showdown. Ticketed events start at $25; visit the official website more more info and a full schedule/list of participating venues.
• November 12, 2014 11:13 Shuck for a Buck: Remember Wednesday is $1 oyster/shrimp night at McCormick & Schmick's (335 Hughes Center Dr.). The deal is offered in the bar only and runs from 5 p.m. to close.
• November 12, 2014 07:47 Jacobson Wins WSOP Championship: Martin Jacobson is poker's new World Champion after winning the World Series of Poker's Main Event last night and a $10 million first prize. Jacobson began the final table with the second lowest chip stack, but prevailed after 328 hands when his three 10s beat Felix Stephensen's pair of 9s. Stephensen received $5.1 million for second. For the first time, the final three players were from outside the U.S.; Jacobsen is from Sweden, Stephensen from Norway, and third-place finisher Jorryt Van Hoof from the Netherlands. At 27, Jacobson is the seventh consecutive Main Event winner to be in his 20s.
• November 11, 2014 20:14 Big Props for HP Poker Title: As the final table of the 2014 World Series of Poker continues to play out at the Rio, right by our office, commentator Norman Chad just took the opportunity of a momentary break in the action to give a shout out to the "two best poker books" he'd read this year, and one was Huntington Press' The Moneymaker Effect. Chad isn't the only reviewer heaping praise on Eric Raskin's uniquely in-depth and eye-opening account of the 2003 WSOP, the relevance of which continues to resonate as the poker landscape keeps evolving. Check it out -- Norman Chad said so!
• November 11, 2014 16:24 CET Hikes Resort Fees: Caesars Entertainment has "standardized" the mandatory resort fee at ALL its Las Vegas properties to a nightly $25 charge (before tax), meaning the surcharge at Harrah's is now on a par with that at Venetian/Palazzo. Also, as we documented in a recent Question of the Day (10/10/2014), this applies also to comped rooms, unless you're Diamond or Seven Stars status.
• November 11, 2014 15:40 Poker Going to the Dogs - Literally: This Friday, Nov. 14, "The Mezz" area at Planet Hollywood hosts the Jennifer Harman Celebrity Poker Tournament to benefit the Nevada SPCA, with participating poker pros and celebrities to include: Doyle Brunson; Daniel Negreanu; Julie Benz ("Dexter"); Charisma Carpenter (The Expendables, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"); actress/model Shanna Moakler; BMX pros and MTV stars TJ Lavin and Ricardo Laguna; reality-TV stars Laura and Dan Dotson ("Storage Wars") and Dirk Vermin ("Bad Ink"); plus Strip headliners Anthony Cools and Marc Savard (don't let them hypnotize you!), Travis Cloer and Graham Fenton (Jersey Boys); Paul Shortino (Raiding the Rock Vault); veteran illusionist Lance Burton (watch his sleeves!), and many others. There will be a red-carpet photo opp from 5-6:30 p.m. and the initial buy-in is $200 cash, payable at the event, all in the interests of raising money for the great cause that is the entirely donation-funded NSPCA no-kill animal shelter.
• November 11, 2014 12:14 New Promo for Vets - Free Tix to Riv Comedy: Comedian Matt Kazam, whose show, 40 Is Not the New 20, recently debuted at the Riviera, has today announced a new ongoing discount with the introduction of "Military Appreciation Tuesdays." Commencing today, all active and retired military members with a valid ID may receive two complimentary tix to the 70-minute, one-man stand-up comedy show any Tuesday. Currently the show, which performs in the Riviera Comedy Club, is at 10 p.m., but as of Dec. 1 the schedule will switch to 7 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., with 7 and 10 p.m. shows on the weekend (dark Sundays).
• November 11, 2014 11:26 Veterans Day Highlights: As Sunday's QoD we posted a big overview of specials being offered today, so check it out in the archives, but as a quick reminder now, the following casinos are offering a free buffet meal today to active and former members of the military: Fiesta Henderson; Fiesta Rancho; Gold Coast; Green Valley Ranch; Orleans; Palace Station; Rampart; Red Rock; Sam's Town; Santa Fe Station; Silver Sevens; South Point (one additional guest may also eat for free); Suncoast; Sunset Station; Texas Station; Westgate Las Vegas (plus, one companion guest also receives 25% off). In addition: Krispy Kreme is offering a free coffee and glazed doughnut, on presentation of valid ID; El Cortez is serving free White Castles from noon to 6 p.m. (we hope this doesn't result in a stampede!); and McCormick & Schmick and Claim Jumper are both offering a complimentary meal to all vets today (reservations are recommended).
• November 11, 2014 11:16 Beach Boy in Venice: Brian Wilson, co-founding member of iconic '60s group the Beach Boys, will be performing hits from his career at Venetian for one night only Dec. 12. The show, which will also feature guest artists who perform on Wilson's new album, including former bandmates Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin, will be recorded for a national concert special to be aired on Public Television and AXS TV in 2015. Tickets, which start at $57.75, are on-sale now.
• November 11, 2014 10:23 Bob Dancer's Adventures at SLS: Today sees the first installment of an epic two-parter from Bob Dancer, in which he delivers the full blow-by-blow of his now notorious -- but previously unrelated in any detail -- video poker adventures during opening weekend at SLS. We'll allow Bob to relate the story, but we will issue a spoiler alert that hitting a $100,000 royal is not the crux of it.
• November 11, 2014 10:18 Veterans Day Parade: The second-largest Veterans Day parade just got underway downtown at 4th & Gass Streets. Bonneville and Bridger Avenues between Las Vegas Boulevard and 3rd Street are also closed for the morning.
• November 11, 2014 09:23 Final Three: Only three players remain in the World Series of Poker Main Event. Jorryt van Hoof
leads with 9 million, Martin Jacobson is second with 6.5 million, and Felix Stephensen is third with 4.6 million. All three are non-American players. The finishing order, beginning with fourth place, was William Tonking, Billy Pappaconstantinou, Andoni Larrabe, Dan Sindelar, Bruno Politano, and Mark Newhouse. The winner will be determined today with play resuming at 5:30 p.m. PST.
• November 10, 2014 20:45 One Down: Mark Newhouse is first out in the World Series of Poker Main Event final. Amazingly, Newhouse also finished 9th last year. Ouch!
• November 10, 2014 19:32 Westgate Hearts Vets: We ran our big round-up of Vegas Veterans Day specials in Sunday's Question of the Day spot and we'll recap some of the bigger deals tomorrow, but for now here's a heads-up that Westgate Resorts is giving away 1,500 three-day/two-night stays nationwide (including in Vegas) and 1,500 Orlando Predators arena football tix, beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 11, as a thank you to members of the military and their families. Check the official website now, then call back early tomorrow to fill out and submit an application form if you're eligible.
• November 10, 2014 17:14 WSOP Reminder: If you can pull yourself away from football, or want something to entertain you at halftime, don't forget the final table of the 2014 World Series of Poker is now underway at the Rio (they literally just played the first hand) and it's streaming live (almost) on ESPN2. Actually there's a 30-minute delay from real play, which results in the hole cards being shown during play in the broadcast, rather than only at the end of the hand as in previous years.
• November 10, 2014 17:05 MNF Eagles/Panthers: The Philadelphia Eagles are -7 favorites over the Carolina Panthers in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 48.
• November 10, 2014 16:08 Justin Bieber, Frank Cullotta, What Went Down?: As promised, here's the scoop on the question to which even gossip mavens TMZ could find no answer, namely: "What the heck was Justin Bieber doing chatting with Frank Cullotta?" (or vice versa, for that matter). It turns out that the Biebs was exiting Sunset Boulevard's storied Rainbow Bar & Grill just as our notorious former-mobster author was entering. Once inside, Cullotta was approached by the Biebs' bodyguard and it turned out the young ruffian wanted nothing more than an innocent autograph and photo with Tony Spilotro's notorious former right-hand man. Aw! Good citizen that he is these days, Frank took the opportunity to offer the troubled young musician some fatherly advice, suggesting he check his temper and keep his money in his pocket. Well, if there's anyone who Justin Bieber might listen to, we figure Frank Cullotta might be that man and, sure enough, in today's TMZ coverage, we learn that he's halfway through an anger-management course (following the $80K house-egging incident that perhaps will also inspire him to heed that other advice from Uncle Frank).
• November 10, 2014 14:16 Free Rides for 'taches in 'Movember': The High Roller at The LINQ is offering "free" rides for males with mustaches throughout November, with a minimum $5 donation to the Movember Foundation for men's health.
• November 10, 2014 13:33 Frank Cullotta is in the House - OUR House: Yup, the notorious former mob hitman and Tony Spilotro confidant is currently upstairs in our office, spilling the beans on Bieber and why the two of them were hanging out. @TMZ, we will have all the answers you require shortly, so stay tuned. (I suggested either the Biebs needed someone taken out, or else he'd heard about Frank's famous meatball recipe, but Cullotta laughed in my face, so I have retreated to the safety of my desk.)
• November 10, 2014 13:21 SLS Buffet Going Into Hibernation: The buffet at the new SLS casino, which has already cut out weekday service, will close altogether Nov. 16, reports the R-J, but not for good. Apparently, the property plans to take advantage of the "slow" winter season to revamp the space and make the buffet more attractive to locals, a demographic that SLS has struggled to resonate with since opening.
• November 10, 2014 12:53 Rise Against Named for Rock in Rio: The latest big name confirmed for next May's massive music event is punk band Rise Against, who are slated for day two of the "Rock Weekend" (May 8-9), alongside Linkin Park and Metallica. The City of Rock, being constructed at the north end of the Las Vegas Strip, is set to welcome more than 100 music acts across the course of the festival weekends, with other names confirmed to-date including: No Doubt, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Deftones, John Legend, and Joss Stone.
• November 10, 2014 10:35 PT's/KLUC Holiday Toy Drive: The valley pub and tavern chain is supporting 98.5 KLUC's 16th Annual Chet Buchanan & The Morning Zoo Toy Drive and is accepting new, unwrapped toys, kid's bikes, gift cards, and cash donations at all 43 valley PT's, Sierra Gold, and Sean Patrick locations now through Wednesday, Dec. 10, to benefit HELP of Southern Nevada, which distributes toys to more than 50 local youth organizations.
• November 10, 2014 10:30 Beatle to Palms: Ringo Starr, one of the two surviving Beatles, brings his All Starr Band to The Pearl at the Palms March 15. Tickets start at $69 and go on sale on sale Nov. 21.
• November 10, 2014 10:00 Gordon Ramsay Takeover Continues: The British chef and TV personality is set to open his fourth Las Vegas offering, Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips, which is slated to open at The LINQ Promenade in spring 2015. In addition to fish and chips, the casual-style eatery apparently will feature other "classic" British comfort food, although this particular Brit. confesses to being bemused by the examples quoted in the official press release, which include: bangers & mash (okay, so far, so good), chicken planks (what are those?), sausages (um, bangers=sausages); and hearty seafood chowder (this writer has never seen chowder on any UK restaurant menu; "Old" England has cockles, not clams -- ask a Cockney.)
• November 9, 2014 16:49 SNF Bears/Packers: The Green Bay Packers are -8.5 favorites over the Chicago Bears in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 53.
• November 9, 2014 13:58 Shake Shack Reminder: The new burger joint coming to The Park on the Strip hosts a two-day hiring event Monday Nov. 10 and Tuesday Nov. 11, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at New York-New York. (See earlier post in Today's News for details.)
• November 9, 2014 12:39 Hot Dog Price Increase: This one's not confirmed, but we've heard that the price of the South Point hot dog sold from a cart in the sports book has been raised from 75 cents to $1.25. This had been the best hot dog deal in town and was in and out of the Top Ten Values list for several years.
• November 9, 2014 11:52 Imagine That: Homegrown Las Vegas band Imagine Dragons held a surprise concert on the Strip yesterday. The band set up unannounced in front of the Bellagio fountains and played a three-song set, including their mega-hit, "Radioactive." We imagine the performance will show up at some point in a Las Vegas promo piece.
• November 9, 2014 10:24 Veterans Day Promos: Veterans Day is officially observed on Nov. 11 and while many Las Vegas restaurants, resorts, and attractions offer year-round discounts to members of the military, past and present, in today's Question of the Day we highlight some of the other specials being offered specifically on Tuesday, which include many free buffets around town and other "thank you" gestures of goodwill.
• November 9, 2014 09:06 WPT History Made: On the eve of the WSOP Main Event final table comes word of another big poker milestone, with professional player Darren Elias making history on Friday by becoming the first player ever to win back-to-back WPT Main Events in the same season. Elias overcame a four-to-one chip disadvantage to defeat Christophe Rosso heads up and win the WPT Caribbean Main Event at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort and Casino Royale in St. Maarten; this follows on the heels of his September victory at the WPT Borgata Poker Open Main Event.
• November 8, 2014 19:50 Downtown Bar Closes: The Lady Silvia, a bar cast in a library setting in the Arts District, has closed. The bar had operated since 2011 in the Soho Lofts condo tower.
• November 8, 2014 16:44 UFC Saint Preux/Rua: Mauricio Rua is a -160 favorite over Ovince Saint Preux in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Warrley Alves is -350 over Alan Jouban.
• November 8, 2014 13:57 Last Weekend for Wicked: The Broadway-musical smash hit, based on the back-story of the the Wicked Witches from The Wizard of Oz, ends its current stint at the Smith Center Nov. 9, so catch Wicked while you can. There are 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. performances and tickets start at $45 (plus applicable tax/fees).
• November 8, 2014 11:39 Harvest Festival at Tivoli Village: Fresh 52 Farmers Market throws an autumnal bash today at Tivoli Village, with seasonal food and drink offerings, fresh produce, artisanal arts and crafts, kids' activities, eating contests, live entertainment, and more, so pick up some local produce or get some holiday shopping out of the way today until 4 p.m. at the west-side retail district.
• November 7, 2014 12:58 Win 2015 EDC Tix: Already saving up for next year's Electric Daisy Carnival? There's a chance to score free tix if you follow @EDCWorld, RT their tweet, and tell them to Direct Message you now -- yes, RIGHT NOW!
• November 7, 2014 12:25 Frank B on the Radio: LVASports.com host Frank B will be on The Las Vegas Sports Line radio show today, competing against handicapper Ron Boyles in the second round of the Golden Nugget's "Friday Football Showdown." It's a heads-up match with the winner moving on. The show airs at 2 p.m. on 1100 AM and 98.9 FM.
• November 7, 2014 12:19 United Axes Service to A.C.: Less than a year after United Airlines and Atlantic City touted the introduction of a new service connecting the gambling enclave to Chicago and Houston, the carrier has declared the service "no longer sustainable" and will discontinue flights to and from Atlantic City International airport on Dec. 3.
• November 7, 2014 12:07 Changes at the California: There's been a lot of "upgrading" afoot downtown over the past couple of years, and the latest casino to sign up for a facelift evidently is the venerable Cal, which has closed the popular Pasta Pirate, rumor has it to be replaced by a new Asian eatery, which will also take up half the space formerly occupied by the main cashier's cage, currently moved to temporary housing upstairs.
• November 7, 2014 11:35 Future Stars of MMA at Cox Pavilion: Tuff-N-Uff and Invicta Fighting Championship have teamed up to put on a joint card tonight at the Cox Pavilion, with multi-fight Invicta FC "Future Stars of MMA" contracts ultimately to be awarded to one featherweight and one lightweight female fighter at a future Tuff-N-Uff event to take place in 2015. Tickets for tonight's event start at $25 in advance ($30 at the door) and the first bout is scheduled for 8 p.m.
• November 7, 2014 11:10 Wynn, MGM Officially Awarded Casino Licenses: Following the Nov. 4 election results, which saw an overwhelming ratification of casino-gambling by voters in Massachusetts and a unanimous vote Thursday by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts International have now officially been awarded the state's first two resort-casino licenses. MGM's plan is for an $800 million resort in Springfield in western Massachusetts, while Wynn's vision is for a $1.6 billion waterfront property outside Boston.
• November 7, 2014 11:05 New Parking Option for First Friday: It's downtown's monthly community arts-n-culture fest tonight and with crowds now regularly in the 20-30,000 range, attendees will be pleased to hear an additional parking option has been added at Symphony Park, which is larger than the old lot by the Clark County Government Center, which is closed. Parking at the new lot, located on Clark and Promenade Place (see link for map) is $3, with a free shuttle service from 5 p.m.-midnight. Oh, and if you're going tonight, the theme is "Enlighten" and the word is: Wear white!
• November 6, 2014 13:59 Legendary XXX Actress Hits Vegas Stage Tonight: Porn legend Jesse Jane, who has been hinting at her imminent retirement from the adult-ent industry, will be performing live on stage tonight, sometime after 11 p.m., at Las Vegas' Little Darlings all-nude club. Can't make it? Sign up for membership and catch the show live on one of the club's several live webcams.
• November 6, 2014 13:57 Las Vegas This EPIC Weekend: Whether you're a cowboy, a theater goer, a rocker, a drinker, or a health nut, we guarantee that Las Vegas has something to entertain you this weekend -- or your money back!
- It's your last chance to catch Wicked at the Smith Center, with nightly performances through the weekend (11/7-11/9)
- As an appetizer ahead of the NFR's upcoming 30th Anniversary in Las Vegas, South Point Arena & Equestrian Center hosts the Indian National Finals Rodeo (11/5-11/8); for something totally different, Vegas veteran Debbie Reynolds (whose former hotel-casino is set for implosion soon) entertains inside The Showroom (11/7-11/9)
- KISS Rocks Vegas kicks off its mini "residency" in The Joint at Hard Rock (11/5-11/23)
- The Chelsea at Cosmopolitan hosts Kid Cudi (11/7), followed-up by The Black Keys with special guest Jake Bugg, but not that the latter is SOLD OUT (11/8)
- Soul Train Weekend hits the Orleans Arena, with an awards ceremony Fri., the Centric Comedy All-Stars hosted by Bill Bellamy on Sat., and concluding with a revue show starring Kool & the Gang on Sun. (11/7-9)
- Tivoli Village hosts the Fresh 52 Farmers Market FREE Autumn Harvest Festival, featuring myriad fresh produce and artisanal arts-and-crafts vendors, plus entertainment including jerky-, hot wing- and pie-eating contests, free games, kids' activities, and more (11/8)
- Enjoy the scenery, live music, and dozens of beer samples during the Brew's Best Fall Beer Festival at Lake Las Vegas Resort
- Dropkick Murphy's performs at Brooklyn Bowl (11/8)
- Gino Vannelli hits Green Valley Ranch (11/8)
- Veteran Strip performer, ventriloquist, and stand-up comedian Ronn Lucas entertains at Suncoast (11/8-11/9)
- Funny man Tim Allen takes center-stage at Venetian (11/8)
- It's First Friday again, with this month's theme being "Enlighten" (11/7)
- And over a four-day period, expect more than 50 performers, comedians, and musicians taking to the stage at the 2nd Annual Las Vegas Burlesque Festival, hosted by Gold Coast (11/6-11/9)
For the lowdown on the adult-entertainment scene, tune in tomorrow at ToplessVegasOnline for the weekly special-event round-up.
• November 6, 2014 12:51 Las Vegas Burlesque Festival: If you hadn't already noticed, Las Vegas has become quite a hub for the whole neo-burlesque revival scene, and is home not only to the Burlesque Hall of Fame downtown, but also myriad regular bar-room burlesque shows and one-off events. This weekend, for the second year running, the Gold Coast will host the Las Vegas Burlesque Festival, showcasing all the best local talent and more. Events run 11/6-11/9 and tickets start at $17 (avoid "concession" fees by purchasing in person at the box office). As an aside, sister hotel the Orleans hosts the annual Miss Exotic World weekend, Titans of Tease, and national Burlesque Hall of Fame Awards, which next June 4-7 will celebrate its 50th anniversary.
• November 6, 2014 11:40 NASCAR Contest Update: Thanks to the @LVA_Tweet follower who gave us the lowdown re the closing date for the contest we announced yesterday. According to ?@cheerose, the closing date to get your online entry form submitted is Nov. 12 at 5 p.m.
• November 6, 2014 10:51 House of Brews?: Just when we figured that perhaps this summer's frenzy of brewfests was coming to an end, House of Blues at MBay announced the "Local Brews, Local Grooves, Craft Beer Festival" taking place Nov. 22, with events spread throughout the Music Hall, Crossroads, and Foundation Room. It's an evening affair, kicking off at 7 p.m., and showcasing more than 50 beers from brewers across the southwest and beyond, with beer-and-food pairings, plus live music from Unwritten Law, Franks and Deans, Out of the Desert, and Loop’d. GA tix are $20, or $35 which includes five beer samples, and are on sale now. Individual sampling tickets will be for sale onsite.
• November 6, 2014 10:00 Farmers Market at Springs Preserve: We're not sure when Mario Batali's "Bet on the Farm" came to a halt, but as of today there's a new Thursday farmers market at Springs Preserve (333 South Valley View). The outdoor Green Chefs Farmers Market will take place every Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. outside in the Desert Living Center Courtyard, featuring an array of local and regional produce, plants, flowers, herbs, and homemade baked goods, plus gardening workshops, cooking demos, and kids' activities. Access to the market is free. Purchases are cash only.
• November 5, 2014 18:08 Election Night and How it Colored the Casino Landscape: Mercifully saving us the trouble, our Stiffs & Georges casino-business blogger David McKee has posted an in-depth round-up of last night election results and the implications for various gaming interests, plans, and projects around the nation, so check it out.
• November 5, 2014 17:12 Contest for NASCAR, NFR Fans: There's a chance for one lucky fan to win a grand prize trip to Las Vegas for Champion's Week, Dec. 3-6, with a package including roundtrip airfare for two, four nights' accommodation, two tix to: the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Awards; the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pre-Awards Private Reception; the NASCAR After the Lap/Victory Lap; two VIP Passes to LVMS FanFest; two tickets to a driving experience at Las Vegas Motor Speedway; and two tix to the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. It's free to enter; all you need to do is complete the online registration form, but hurry, as the contest ends soon (we're not sure exactly when, but we just received a "last chance" email...)
• November 5, 2014 15:56 Countdown to Britney: The "Britney Day" celebrations kick off at The LINQ Promenade at 5:30 p.m., so expect some congestion in the vicinity for a couple of hours as Ms Spears (accompanied by a bunch of fellow Britneys) prepares to ride the High Roller (and probably pull the odd surprise stunt or two for expectant fans).
• November 5, 2014 14:46 Zip Line Restored: Apparently, the inaction over at the VooDoo Zip Line earlier today was due to some routine testing, we were informed; we can confirm that it's been back to business/zipping as usual since lunch time.
• November 5, 2014 10:58 Shake Shack Hiring Event: Next Monday and Tuesday (Nov. 10 and 11), Las Vegas' first Shake Shack location, set to open this winter at New York-New York, is holding a two-day hiring event, with a view to filling 125 full-time positions. Interested candidates (must be 21+) are requested, if possible, to complete an online introductory application form prior to attending the career fair (visit bit.ly/ShackVegas or shakeshack.com/join-our-team) and on the day must bring valid Health Card, I-9 documentation, and Sheriff’s Card for immediate employment. The open casting call, which will take place in the Tribeca Room at NY-NY (2nd floor, nearest the Empire elevators), will feature a series of 90-minute time slots each day, commencing at 9 a.m. and running on each uneven hour thereafter (11 a.m., 1 p.m., etc.) until 5 p.m.
• November 5, 2014 10:23 KISS to Make Grand Vegas Entrance: At 6:30 p.m. this evening KISS band members will arrive, by helicopter, at the Hard Rock for the grand opening of their mini residency, KISS Rocks Vegas, set to perform on select dates at The Joint from tonight through Nov. 23. Fans are encouraged to view the arrival and official welcoming ceremony for the group.
• November 5, 2014 10:15 VooDoo Zip Goes Slo-Mo: From our office's birds-eye view of the backside of the Rio, we can confirm that something is up with the VooDoo Zip Line: We just watched for around 5 minutes and the riders still hadn't made it to the end of the line. Perhaps there's some maintenance work taking place? We will continue to monitor the situation and report back.
• November 5, 2014 09:02 Massachusetts Casino Repeal Defeated: Massachusetts voters overwhelmingly rejected the referendum that sought to block casinos from operating in the state. Nearly 60% voted against the repeal, paving the way for MGM Resorts International and Wynn Resorts to build their proposed megaresorts. Several other gaming-related measures were decided yesterday. We'll report on the major decisions in this space, and detail all of the results in the December Las Vegas Advisor.
• November 4, 2014 18:32 New Show Format for Nugget: Having had something of a turnover with shows of late, including the ill-fated Pawn Stars Live and Country Superstars, the Golden Nugget is following the lead set by some Strip showrooms with a revolving comedy lineup under a series "umbrella" and is taking the same tack, but with music acts. In 2015, every Friday night will feature a different name performer under the "52 Shows" banner, with announced names including Foghat (1/9), Herman's Hermits (1/30), Eddie Money (2/1), Don Williams (3/6), and Sheena Easton (3/27).
• November 4, 2014 18:21 Rodeo Sticking with Rebels' Stadium: The National Finals Rodeo is set to sign another 10-year contract with UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center, having deemed the new Strip arena from MGM Resorts and AEG unsuitable for hosting the event, having only one tunnel, as opposed to T&M's two, one of which allows for timed events like steer wrestling. Kicking off Dec. 4, this year's NFR will be the 30th hosted in Las Vegas, where the event is now set to remain for the foreseeable future following a potential but aborted move to Florida.
• November 4, 2014 16:48 Joyful House Not Smiling Now: The venerable Chinese restaurant on Spring Mountain last week became the latest victim of a Nevada Health Dept. inspection and was summarily closed down on account of being awarded no less than 43 demerits for crimes against cleanliness including: gross unsanitary occurrence/pest infestation; imminently dangerous waste water cross connection/back-flow situation; spoiled/contaminated food; and poor staff personal hygiene practices. The restaurant has come close to closure on no less than seven previous occasions in its history, but this is the first time that sufficient demerits were awarded to force an on-the-spot shutdown, which will likely be followed up soon by another surprise inspection to see if the issues found have been attended to.
• November 4, 2014 14:14 Photo Opps for Movie Fans: We've had the orange furry taxicabs promoting Avenue Q, the infamous Little Darlings/Hustler Honeys stripper-mobile, a giant flying peanut-butter cup and a gravity-defying hot tub, and even an "octocopter"; this evening, the next strange vehicle hits the Las Vegas Strip, as the floppy-eared Dumb & Dumber To [sic] promotional van pays a visit to The LINQ, where movie buffs (and dog lovers) may pose for selfies from 8 to 10 p.m. tonight; there's a second chance to get up-close and personal with the lovable-pup auto prop from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesday, when it will be posing at the Fashion Show Mall.
• November 4, 2014 13:10 Britney on the Strip Tomorrow: Las Vegas celebrates the success of Britney Spears' Piece of Me residency at Planet Hollywood by presenting the pop diva with the key to the city and her own dedicated "day" tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. at The LINQ. The singer will ride the High Roller observation wheel and some kind of surprise festive happening is expected, so fans should get their early to bag a good viewing spot.
• November 4, 2014 12:09 New Nonstop Flights for Reno: Having recently announced the addition of twice-weekly nonstop flights to Guadalajara, slated to commence in December using Mexico-based carrier Volaris Airlines, Reno airport plans to launch an experimental nonstop service to London in next year. Operator Thomas Cook Airlines will begin with a three-month seasonal window offering nonstop service from Reno to London in December 2015, in conjunction with Ski Lake Tahoe, running Wednesdays and Saturdays from Dec. 19, 2015 to April 9, 2016.
• November 4, 2014 10:42 Capriotti's Seasonal Promo: The popular sandwich chain is holding its traditional Thanksgiving giveaway promotion this month, with a $20 Butterball turkey gift certificate and a free signature "Bobbie" turkey-and-cranberry sub every week for a year (retail value $364) for the grand prize winner. No purchase is necessary; to enter, simply fill out the contest entry form available at any valley Capriotti's restaurant during the month of November.
• November 4, 2014 10:22 Dancer Calls on Some Back-Up: This week, video poker pro Bob Dancer returns to a basic but crucial and often-ignored concept that any professional (or even recreational) gambler needs to grasp, regardless of your game; just in case you don't believe him, Bob allows a well-known poker writer to make the case on his behalf...
• November 3, 2014 17:18 MNF Colts/Giants: The Indianapolis Colts are -3 favorites over the New York Giants in tonight's Monday Night Football game. The total is 51.
• November 3, 2014 15:50 Catch Lance Burton at Golden Nugget: You'll have to act fast, however, as it's for one night only that the former Strip illusionist, who was the longest-running performer in recent (or possibly all) Strip history, clocking up no less than 19 consecutive years (see QoD Archives 7/14/14), will be making a rare appearance on stage at the Golden Nugget as part of the celebrity lineup at the annual Marie & Rich Little Benefit Show this Sunday, Nov. 9. Other stars taking part include Gordie Brown, Frankie Scinta, and Bernadottae Larson as Whoopi Goldberg. Call 866/946-5336 for more info.
• November 3, 2014 12:44 Pipe Dreams Poll: Klingons? Barbra Streisand? Playboy Bunnies? Indoor skiing? Which Las Vegas dream project that never made it to fruition do you most wish had come to be a reality? Vote in our current Reader Poll, which ends Tuesday, and let us know your ideas for anything we didn't think of.
• November 3, 2014 12:32 M Buffet Readies for Milestone: At some point this month, Studio B buffet at M Resort will welcome its 5 millionth guest, and whomever that lucky diner may be, they will reserve a "grand-prize package," although the contents of said package have yet to be officially divulged...
• November 3, 2014 10:53 Another Player on the Transit Field: As the ongoing dispute continues between citizen ride-share option Uber and the state Taxicab Authority wages on, a new ride option has entered the fray, with the launch in Las Vegas this week of "SuperShuttle." Unlike Uber, which is driver-operated and to-date has been avoiding the Strip and McCarran, where additional regulations apply to transportation services, SuperShuttle is exclusively geared to offering a discounted but commercially operated shared-ride shuttle aimed at Las Vegas residents, servicing the Sun City, Summerlin, and Red Rock communities with service to and from McCarran International Airport. By offering an on-demand shared service, operators say they are able to offer much lower rates than rival shuttle/transit options; visit the official website for more information.
• November 3, 2014 10:28 KISS to Rock the Rock this Week: It's the Hard Rock they'll be rockin' when KISS checks in Nov. 5 for a "mini-residency" at the Joint, with subsequent dates Nov. 7-8, 12, 14-15, 19, and 22-23. Shows are at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $49.50.
• November 3, 2014 09:56 Another Bloomin' Outback Monday: Driver Kevin Harvick once again finished in the top 10 in a NASCAR Sprint Cup Challenge race over the weekend, so Outback Steakhouse is once again serving a complimentary Bloomin' Onion appetizer to any table who says the magic words ("Kevin Harvick, Bloomin' Monday") to their server.
• November 2, 2014 17:09 SNF Ravens/Steelers: The Pittsburgh Steelers are -2.5 favorites over the Baltimore Ravens in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 47.
• November 2, 2014 17:02 Vintage Bar Closes: The Decatur Tavern has closed after more than 50 years of operation. The westside bar was a Las Vegas Advisor "Local Corner" selection earlier this year and was a good place for food and neighborhood-bar hospitality, but pressures from the economy eventually culminated in the closing.
• November 2, 2014 09:36 Food 4 Less Prepares for Total Vegas Exit: The discount grocery store, part of the Kroger family, is preparing to leave Las Vegas, with some existing stores converting to sister brand Smith's, while others will close altogether. Look out for "fire" sales as the closures become imminent -- we personally scored a lot of deals when the Smith's at Flamingo and Jones shuttered some months back.
The Food 4 Less stores designated for rebranding include those at:
3013 W. Craig Road
4001 S. Decatur Blvd.
3602 E. Bonanza Road
2255 Las Vegas Blvd. N
4965 E. Sahara Ave.
8180 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
Designated for closure by Jan. 2015 are the stores at:
Green Valley Parkway
2545 South Eastern Ave.
1955 N. Nellis Blvd
3864 W. Sahara Ave. (closing Nov. 2014)
120 S. Rainbow Blvd.
1301 S. Boulder Hwy, Henderson
3250 E. Flamingo Rd.
• November 2, 2014 09:00 Station Bonus Points Today: It's a bonus-points day at Station casinos. Get 3.3X points on slots all day at all Stations and Fiestas.
• November 2, 2014 07:33 Change Your Clocks: Don't forget to move your clocks back one hour today for the end of daylight savings time. Relax, you have an extra hour to get your NFL bets in today.
• November 1, 2014 14:52 Developer Pushes North Strip Arena: What was labeled a "groundbreaking" for a proposed arena on the north end of the Strip took place last week, but it appeared to be more hype than substance. The All Net Arena and Resort, proposed by former UNLV and NBA basketball player Jackie Robinson, is still considered a long shot to get to the building stage, as the necessary funds and permits have reportedly not yet been secured.
• November 1, 2014 14:44 Celine Returning: Celine Dion is reportedly ready to resume her show at Caesars Palace. According to the well-connected Robin Leach, the date’s not set and it won’t be till next year, but Celine's intent to return takes the pressure off Caesars to have to find a replacement.
• November 1, 2014 13:38 Big Loss Rebate: The Cannery and Eastside Cannery are advertising a $500 loss-rebate deal. This is the first we've heard of it so we don't have the details, but an ad in the LV Review-Journal designates that the offer is for new club members only. This is a very strong offer that we'd be surprised to see last.
• November 1, 2014 08:52 November Casino Promotions: With Veterans Day just around the corner there are lots of deals to be had this month, particularly for former and active members of the military. We'll be posting a complete round-up of the best of those offers a little nearer to that actual date, but in the meantime Jean Scott has posted her monthly overview of casino promos, players-club updates, and money-saving tips, so check it out at Frugal Vegas.