Compiled by LVA Research
• March 4, 2015 17:58 Revel -- It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: Just when it was seeming as if everything was finally zipped up with regard to the sale of Atlantic City's Revel resort-casino, comes word today that a new suitor has entered the fray. On Wednesday, a federal bankruptcy court judge postponed approving the sale of the property to Florida developer Glenn Straub, much to the latter's chagrin, in light of an unexpected new offer for the bankrupt property from Izek Shomof, a Los Angeles real estate developer who's considering purchasing Revel for $80 million. Although Straub's purchase price of $82 million ostensibly seems higher, in reality that offer is effectively $8 million less, since it includes a $10 million deposit, already forfeited when Straub failed to complete the purchase by a Feb. 9 deadline, argues this new stalking horse. The presiding judge has said she needs another week to ensure that Straub's offer is truly the best available.
• March 4, 2015 17:52 Pool Time? Yes, Already!: First comes the annual swathe of pool hirings; now the daylife scene is announcing opening dates, regardless of the fact that temperatures are currently in the high 50s, which to us does not denote dipping weather. Here's the lowdown so far; obviously, a bazillion or so other party pools have yet to declare, so stay tuned to our Cool Pools feature, where we'll be updating as info becomes available:
- Wet Republic, MGM Grand: March 13th
- Palms Pool & Dayclub: Opens March 13th, with Ditch Fridays returning May 1st
- Encore Beach Club: March 6, with Grand Opening April 4
- Hard Rock: Rehab, Nirvana, and Breathe Pools open March 6th; Rehab kicks off with a soft-ish opening March 13th for Spring Break
- Marquee Dayclub, Cosmopolitan: March 6th
- Bare Pool Lounge, Mirage: March 12th
- Liquid, Aria: March 13th
- Mandalay Bay: Lazy River and Wade pool open March 6th, at which point Moorea Beach Club reverts to being adult-only and "toptional." No word yet on opening date for the Beachside Casino, but Daylight is slated to debut April 17.
- Foxtail Pool, SLS: Soft opening March 12th; Grand Opening April 24th
- Drai's, The Cromwell: March 6th
- TAO Beach, Venetian: March 12th
- Oasis, Luxor: Temptation Sundays begins May 17
- Naked Pool, Artisan: Cuban Nights pool parties kick of March 28
- M Resort: Daydream opens March 7, weather permitting, with parties kicking off April 14; Villagio del Sole opens April 3
- Sapphire Dayclub: Soft opening last weekend in April; Grand Re-opening first weekend in May
• March 4, 2015 14:41 March Casino-Promo Summary: Jean "Queen of Comps" Scott has posted her monthly round-up of "locals" casino promos (i.e., off-the-Strip properties) via her Frugal Vegas blog. As she is a comp wizard of mature years, there is a special skew toward senior-oriented deals; stay tuned for details of the players club changes at Ellis Island...
• March 4, 2015 13:03 Visitation Low at High Roller: Ridership at CET's High Roller at The LINQ, for the time being the tallest observation wheel on the planet, is less than half what was hoped, reports Bloomberg.com, despite drawing almost 5,000 riders a day, on average. Pre-opening projections had estimated something more like 3-4 million guests per year, or up to 11,000/day. Ridership did increase by 10 percent in Q4 over Q3, however, and there are plans for more proactive and targeted promotion of the attraction. (If it's the price tag that's deterring you, we coupon for that!)
• March 4, 2015 11:16 Shave Your Head, Love Your Liver!: The Juice Standard (4555 S. Fort Apache Rd.) is offering a complimentary juice to guests who shave their heads in support of St. Baldrick’s Foundation during the entire month of March. To qualify for a free drink from the juicery, tag The Juice Standard in their social media photos during the head-shaving promo period and show the pics to the cashier in exchange for a complimentary bottle of their liver-cleansing Bee Pure or immune system-boosting Bee Vibrant lemonade-with-a-twist blends.
• March 4, 2015 10:45 Rampaging 'Sex Bandits' at Erotic Heritage Museum: And what better place for sex bandits? Online gossip site TMZ.com has been handed surveillance footage by Harry Mohney's Erotic Heritage Museum, showing the exploits of a couple who apparently got a little too excited by the attraction's Valentine's Day homage to Fifty Shades of Grey-style kink by "stowing away" in the building for an after-hours sex romp ... all of which was captured by surveillance cameras. There's an amusing annotated montage on TMZ -- it's okay, it is safe for work. (We can only now wonder at what antics may ensue at EHM once Puppetry of the Penis is unleashed...)
• March 4, 2015 10:16 Lion Habitat Ranch Saved From Extinction: We've learned, courtesy of the R-J and of Clark County, that Henderson's Lion Habitat Ranch was under threat of imminent closure due to apparent code violations, on account of the six-acre facility being home to other "exotics," including ostriches, emus, and a giraffe, and a total number of 46 lions, a total of six in addition to its permitted 40. However, the good news is that a compromise seems to be in the works between the non-profit and Clark County, which is delaying any decision for a couple of weeks, apparently in part thanks to the intervention of Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak. The ranch facility was approved as an "exotic animal compound" back in 1999, when it became home to the animals on display at MGM Grand's lion attraction. It also provided refuge to some of the animals and birds rendered homeless by the 2013 closure of Las Vegas Zoo.
• March 3, 2015 21:24 Wet'n'Wild to Serve Booze?: The water park on the southwest side of town has an application in with Clark County, requesting to be allowed to serve alcohol in this, its second season, we just learned from Channel 13. On March 18, commissioners will decide if it's okay for the attraction to serve beer and wine to adults on non-school days, in the light of some local parents voicing opposition to the plan.
• March 3, 2015 17:36 Terrible February for Macau: The latest figures are more bad news for China's gambling hub, which suffered another record drop in year-on-year monthly revenue, this time to the tune of almost 50 percent. The $2.54bn generated by Macau's casinos last month represents a 48.6% drop from February 2014, marking the ninth consecutive month that the year-on-year monthly total has decreased, following 12 consecutive years of gain.
• March 3, 2015 17:29 Uncork'd Tix are Popping!: Apparently, tickets are selling like hot cakes for Bon Appétit's ninth annual Vegas Uncork’d culinary festival, with 14 events already completely sold out. Hosted by Aria, Bellagio, Caesars Palace, and MGM Grand, the events span April 23-26 and include dinners, food and wine tastings, live demonstrations, and more, hosted and presented by chefs, sommeliers, and mixologists including Emeril Lagasse, Gordon Ramsay, Julian Serrano, Shawn McClain, Brian Malarkey, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Guy Savoy, Michael Mina, François Payard, Masa Takayama, Mary Sue Milliken, and Susan Feniger.
• March 3, 2015 17:26 Major Makeover for Gold Lounge: The lounge that was originally built to complement Cirque's Viva Elvis show at Aria is the first of the former Light Group venues purchased by Hakkasan to undergo an upgrade and, according to "Eater Vegas," it's going to be a big one. A renovation is already underway that will see a complete remodeling of the interior, an almost tripling of the venue's current 3,756 square feet, and the addition of a restaurant and outdoor patio, all of which is expected to cost upward of $4 million.
• March 3, 2015 13:10 Video Poker vs. Basketball: In this week's column, Bob Dancer examines the parallels, and disparities, of playing professional video poker and professional basketball. "An NBA player who showed up to work as ill-prepared as most video poker players show up at the casino would be eliminated from the league quickly," he concludes. "If you're not smart enough, skilled enough, and motivated enough to study --- too bad. That's your problem. The casino will welcome you with open arms." Ouch! Fortunately, he also has some solutions to that problem.
• March 3, 2015 12:19 Pancake Frenzy!: For the 10th consecutive year, IHOP is celebrating National Pancake Day today by offering a complimentary short stack to customers at all area locations until 10 p.m. (part of a fundraising effort to benefit St. Rose Dominican Hospitals). In addition, on Wednesday, March 4, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., the newly expanded Denny’s location at Casino Royale is marking its reopening with a "Golden Grand Slam Celebration." The first 100 customers to arrive at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., and 5 p.m. will each receive a "golden ticket," which will either bag them a $10 Denny's gift card or, for one lucky winner at each drawing, the grand prize of a Golden Grand Slam breakfast for two. This comprises two original Grand Slams (buttermilk pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage links), dished up on gold plates with golden flatware, and to wash it all down, a bottle of Armand de Brignac "Ace of Spades" Gold Brut Champagne, served in souvenir Golden Grand Slam flutes. There will be celebrity impersonators and other giveaways throughout the day to keep the party going, with $2 from each stack of pancakes purchased from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. tomorrow to be donated to Three Square food bank.
• March 3, 2015 12:17 Home Cooking School Coming to Silverton: On March 10, The Taste of Home Cooking School is bringing its interactive style to the Silverton, for an event featuring live recipe and product demos and food samplings, plus gift bags and the chance to win prizes for attendees. America's largest live-cooking program, the school visits more than 250,000 home cooks at more than 250 locations nationwide each year. The event kicks off at 6 p.m. and GA tix are $15 ($40 VIP); visit the official website for more info.
• March 3, 2015 11:18 Bennett and Gaga Return: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga will play the AXIS Theater at Planet Hollywood on April 10 and 11. They're making a return engagement in their Cheek to Cheek Tour (the tour began at the Cosmopolitan over New Year's Eve), promoting their Grammy Award-winning album of the same name. Tickets that run $69-$250 go on sale March 7 at 10 a.m. at Ticketmaster.com.
• March 2, 2015 15:44 Whale Hunter Fights at Brooklyn Bowl: The "whaler" in question is casino "superhost" Steve Cyr, the subject of Huntington Press' best-seller, Whale Hunt in the Desert, the definitive exposé of the lengths to which casinos will go to bag the highest of the high rollers. It's just been released in an updated, post-Great Recession third edition, so check out the (very) limited-duration publisher's introductory discount at ShopLVA.com and pick up a copy for less than $10, but only if you strike fast!
Anyhow, talking of striking fast, when he's not schmoozing millionaires and their girlfriends, Steve likes to box. In fact, he's the only fighter who's fought in every industry fight for the last nine years and you can catch Steve in brawling action, along with your favorite (or least-favorite) Strip bartenders, promoters, hosts etc. all duking it out tomorrow night for the second Vegas Nightlife Fights card to be hosted by The LINQ's Brooklyn Bowl. There's a happy hour from 5-7 p.m., with the National Anthem at 6:45 p.m. then BAM!... it's Cyr time! Tickets start at $25 ($35 for ringside seats). Check out the details on the official Facebook page.
• March 2, 2015 13:48 Legends Loves Locals: It's not just #ThrowbackThursday but #ThrowbackMarchANDApril at Flamgingo's Legends in Concert tribute show, where for two months locals with valid ID can enjoy the 1983 ticket price of just $9.95! There's a purchase limit of six tickets for the throwback price, with current characters portrayed in the recently updated show including: Elvis; Michael Jackson; Steven Tyler; Katy Perry; and Celine Dion.
• March 2, 2015 11:15 New Valley Smith's Stores to Open: If, like us, you've been mourning the loss of Food 4 Less and feeling bereft at the drastically reduced number of convenient places to buy cat food, there's good news! At 8 a.m. on Wednesday morning (March 4), six new rebranded Southern Nevada Smith's stores, having completed a $4+ million renovations of a half-dozen former Food 4 Less locations, including at 8180 Las Vegas Blvd. South, where the new Smith's will offer fresh sushi, Boars Head deli meat, and the first Murray’s Cheese in Nevada. Other new stores opening Wednesday include:
- 3030 W. Craig Road.
- 4001 S. Decatur Blvd.
- 3602 E. Bonanza Road.
- 2255 Las Vegas Blvd. North
- 4965 E. Sahara Ave.
• March 2, 2015 10:28 Beltway Ramp Closed Thru 3/3: The 215 Beltway ramp to southbound U.S. Highway 95 is closed today and will remain so until 5 a.m., March 3 while a ramp realignment is carried out.
• March 2, 2015 10:14 Inaugural Poker "Oscars" Awarded: The first-ever American Poker Awards took place Friday night at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, with honorees including Daniel Negreanu, who was awarded as "Poker's Best Ambassador" in 2014 (a category for which Phil Ivey, somewhat bizarrely, was also nominated), and World Poker Tour founder Steve Lipscomb, who picked up the "Lifetime Achievement Award." Mark Newhouse won "Tournament Performance of the Year," after making back-to-back WSOP "November Nine" main event final tables, and Vanessa Selbst was celebrated at Female Player of the Year. See PokerListings for more details and complete lists of nominees and award winners.
• March 2, 2015 10:02 Basketball Tix on Sale: Tickets for the 2015 Mountain West Basketball Championships, being hosted March 9-14 at Thomas & Mack, went on sale two minutes ago. All-session packages start at $180.
• March 2, 2015 09:37 Opening Date Announced for Andiron Steak: Andiron Steak & Sea, the latest venture from husband-and-wife restaurateur team Elizabeth Blau and Chef Kim Canteenwalla, will open at Downtown Summerlin on Tuesday, Tuesday, March 10, "paying homage to all things grilled, roasted, shucked, and seared, " including "more contemporary vegetarian and seafood" creations, in addition to more traditional steakhouse fare.
• March 2, 2015 09:23 Wynn Resorts Attempts to Remove Elaine Wynn From Board: Citing potential conflicts of interest, concern over a lawsuit she filed against her ex-husband and co-director in 2012, and her "lack of independence under NASDAQ listing standards," Wynn Resorts is trying to oust Elaine Wynn from its board of directors, reports the R-J. Apparently, Steve Wynn is not behind the move, which in a recent letter to the company Elaine Wynn has stated that she intends to fight, including soliciting votes from shareholders in the company which she co-founded in 2000.
• March 1, 2015 19:05 New Bar at Vdara: Vdara's former nondescript Bar Vdara is now Vice Versa Patio & Lounge. In addition to a redesign, food is now served, which is something that was needed, given the limited dining options there.
• March 1, 2015 13:43 Dollar Blackjack Pulled at Binion's: We've gotten word that the Thursday $1 blackjack promotion at Binion's has been suspended indefinitely. The busy upcoming calendar that includes the March Madness tournament played a part in the decision and the promotion may return. We'll let you know.
• March 1, 2015 09:51 Tough Tix: If you want to go to the May 2 Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, get your wallet out. Norm Clarke of the LV Review-Journal wrote today that ticket-scalping websites are asking a minimum of $4K per seat, up to $29K ringside.
• March 1, 2015 09:50 Tark Tribute: A celebration of the life and career of former UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian will be held today at the Thomas & Mack Center. Among the many former players and Las Vegas celebrities scheduled to be in attendance is Bob Anderson, star of the show Frank The Man. The Music., who will sing "My Way." The tribute begins at 2 p.m. and there is no admission charge.