Compiled by LVA Research
• June 25, 2016 09:54 Mystery Bonus Points: Red Rock, GVR, Santa Fe Station, and Sunset Station are awarding 3.3X club points today and tomorrow, though it isn't clear to which games the offer applies. An ad references "slots," but there's nothing in the verbiage that excludes video poker. Plus a disclaimer reads "Not valid on 100% payback machines," which also suggests that video poker is included. If you're a video poker player, get clarification at the club booth before you play.
• June 25, 2016 09:42 Hockey Lines: With an NHL team coming to Las Vegas, the sports books have already put up betting lines. The Westgate makes the new team 100-1 to win the Stanley Cup in its first season, and even though the opponent is unknown, Station Casinos makes the visiting team a -170 favorite in the first home game. Station has also posted props for that game, which won't be played till 2017.
• June 24, 2016 17:09 Wahlburgers Opening So Soft, It's Secret: We just learned from a reliable, but unconfirmed source, that Las Vegas' much-awaited Wahlburgers restaurant, coming to Bally's Grand Bazaar Shops, is finally set to debut -- very quietly -- this Sunday, June 26.
• June 24, 2016 11:00 Dal Toro Quietly Exits Palazzo: The final remaining vestige of that bizarre mash-up at Palazzo that was Dal Toro Ristorante, Lamborghini Showroom, and Ultra Lounge, has apparently gone the way of the rest, with reports on Twitter that Dal Toro restaurant is no more, a fact apparently confirmed by its absence from the hotel's official website. (Fear not, Italian-food lovers, however, since Venetian/Palazzo still boasts 13 Italian restaurants and food outlets.) A call to the Las Vegas Car Museum, which had been operating in the former Lambo-showroom space and offering exotic-car driving experiences, revealed that the number had been disconnected, so it looks like the museum is also kaput, or at least temporarily homeless. We'll keep you posted of any news.
• June 24, 2016 10:45 Abrupt PH Exit for Frankie Moreno: Having enjoyed a long run at the Stratosphere, Frankie Moreno hasn't been so lucky at Planet Hollywood, where his show debuted April 20 and now, having cut its performance schedule from six days a week down to two, is to close for good after Saturday's show, as reported by Johnny Kats of the LV Sun.
• June 24, 2016 10:27 Tony-Winning Broadway Show to Smith Center: It's been announced that Broadway hit Beautiful – The Carole King Musical, the recipient of both Tony® and Grammy® Awards, will premiere at Las Vegas' Smith Center on Sept. 20 for a two-week run through Oct. 2. Tickets for the show, which relates the early life and career of the legendary singer-songwriter, are on sale now and start at $29.
• June 23, 2016 16:47 Las Vegas This Weekend: Here are the highlights:
- Country star Garth Brooks takes over at T-Mobile Arena (6/24-25)
- Cheech and Chong are still smokin' at Treasure Island (6/24)
- Mariah Carey is back at Caesars Palace (6/24-25)
- The Mandalay Bay Beach poolside concert series welcomes Sublime with Rome (6/25)
- The Hard Rock features Cage The Elephant at The Joint (6/25)
- Charo performs at South Point (6/24-25)
- The Orleans welcomes the Southern Nevada Sports Hall of Fame (6/24) and comedian Carlos Mencia (6/24-25)
- And the Silverton brings you Future Stars of Wrestling (6/26)
• June 23, 2016 15:22 Sobriety Checkpoint Tonight: From 7 p.m. tonight until 3 a.m. Friday, Las Vegas Metro will be conducting a sobriety checkpoint at an undisclosed location in the Las Vegas Valley that has been a hotspot for traffic accidents and violations. The checkpoint is being manned by officers from Metro's Traffic Bureau, in conjunction with various area commands in the jurisdiction, and will be focusing on both drug- and alcohol-impaired drivers.
• June 23, 2016 15:17 Voting Time for Vegas Bar Hall of Fame: It's time for the fifth annual Vegas Seven 2016 Bar Hall of Fame awards and the magazine's panel of experts (which includes our own publisher/Seven columnist/veteran Vegas barfly Anthony Curtis) has compiled a list of 32 nominees from which to choose across the various categories ("Dives," "Downtown," etc.). Voting is open through midnight on July 14 and the results will be used to help the panel of "experts" select five new inductees to the Hall of Fame.
For more info/inspiration on the current Las Vegas bar scene, from craft breweries to cocktail programs, check out Eating Las Vegas 2016.
• June 23, 2016 14:52 Gift-Inventory Blowout at Orleans Friday: There's some late Spring cleaning going down at the Orleans tomorrow, with the "Free Gift Day Inventory Blowout". Begin earning points from 2:01 a.m. (thru 5 p.m.) on June 24 and earn an additional 50 points and an additional free gift from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit the B Connected club booth for more details.
• June 23, 2016 12:04 Lucky Dragon Hiring: With an opening still set for late 2016, the Lucky Dragon Hotel & Casino has launched its (bilingual) official website, which includes construction updates and an Employment Center feature, where the resort is seeking to fill more than 800 positions over the coming months (note that staff multilingual in English and Chinese, as well as other Asian languages, are sought for this heavily Asian-oriented property).
• June 22, 2016 19:11 Morimoto to MGM Grand; Shibuya Shunted: It's been four years since Masaharu Morimoto announced that he'd be opening a Las Vegas restaurant (see QoD 4/24/2015) but now finally, according to EaterVegas.com, the "Iron Chef" will deliver on his promise with a debut set for sometime this fall. While for years Morimoto Las Vegas was rumored to be taking over the spot still occupied by Japonais at the Mirage, according to the latest word it's now MGM Grand's Shibuya that will be displaced in order to accommodate the new venue. Shibuya will close at the end of this week.
• June 22, 2016 14:50 Vegas Gets Hockey - It's Official: After many months of campaigning and speculation -- the culmination of decades of attempts -- the National Hockey League announced Wednesday that it has decided to award Las Vegas and Bill Foley, the billionaire behind the recent efforts, with an expansion license, beginning with the 2017-18 season. Foley will pay $500 million for his as-yet unnamed team to join as the league's 31st. Home games will be played at the T-Mobile Arena.
• June 22, 2016 13:48 Casino Collectibles Convention at South Point: From June 23 to 25, South Point is hosting the 24th Annual Casino Collectibles Convention, with dozens of dealers and daily auctions of casino chips, room keys, match books, postcards, and other memorabilia. The event is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday for a $10 cover and then from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday ($5). On Saturday, doors are open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and there's no cover. (As an aside, the guest speaker at tonight's welcoming banquet for members of the CCGTCC is casino "super-host" Steve Cyr, the subject of Huntington Press' Whale Hunt in the Desert.)
• June 22, 2016 12:59 Park and Plaza Goin' All-Out for Garth: In celebration of the upcoming shows this June 24 and 25 and July 2-4 at T-Mobile Arena, featuring legendary Country star Garth Brooks and wife Trisha Yearwood, The Park and Toshiba Plaza venues will don a Country-western theme, from décor and a mechanical bull, to games, giveaways, drink specials, DJs, and live music on multiple stages. The July 2-4 performances will also each be followed by a fireworks spectacular. There are still some tickets remaining for some dates, all of which are priced at $85 (plus tax and fees).
• June 22, 2016 12:46 Breaking: All Lanes I-15 Closed at Sloan: Details of the situation have not yet been released, but reports are coming in that unspecified police activity has closed Interstate 15 in both directions in the vicinity of Sloan; drivers are urged to seek alternate routes.
• June 22, 2016 08:59 Bags Banned on NYE: The Clark County Commission has instituted a ban on bulky items at the Strip's annual New Year's Eve celebration. The ban applies to briefcases, computer and camera bags, coolers, backpacks, fanny packs, strollers and carts, and even purses that are larger than 12 X 6 inches. Exempt are medical devices and media equipment. Police will have the authority to issue citations and arrest violators who don't comply after a warning.
• June 21, 2016 17:41 Copa America USA/Argentina: Argentina is a -525 favorite over the United States in today's Copa America semi-final soccer match. The goal line is 2.5.
• June 21, 2016 16:31 Cavs Party in Vegas: Fresh off their Game 7 upset of the Golden State Warriors, the NBA Champion Cleveland Cavaliers decided to delay their trip home with a stop in Vegas. Only hours after the game ended, the Cavs' jet landed and LeBron James and company were limoed to Wynn Las Vegas around 1 am, where they partied in XS (dress coded be damned), ate at Allegro, and were back in the air to Cleveland before most of the Wynn’s guests had eaten breakfast.
• June 21, 2016 14:10 Trop AC Completes Latest Upgrade: Hot on the heels of a $50 million renovation, completed in 2015, comes an announcement that the Tropicana Casino and Resort in Atlantic City has just completed a further $40 million in enhancements, including a remodeled hotel-room tower; new high-limit slot area; Kiss Kiss a Go-Go (the latest nightspot concept from neo-burlesque impresario Ivan Kane); a new (additional) casino entrance; and other retail and entertainment updates property-wide.
• June 21, 2016 11:40 Dancer Gets Philosophical, Muses on Etiquette: What are the established or unspoken rules about "reserving" a particularly tasty machine in a casino: Is it first come, first served in the dog-eat-dog world of video poker, or is it legit to stake your claim on a particular machine and work with friends/associates to guard your patch, should someone else pip you to the post? When disputes arise, with whom does the casino tend to side (if anyone?) Bob Dancer's latest video poker column may be titled "More Dogs Than Bones" but trust us, there's plenty of meaty food for thought in there.
• June 21, 2016 09:53 Would-Be Millionaires Sought: Following last week's announcement that popular TV game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" will be taping at Bally's Las Vegas this September, comes a follow-up alert that the producers are searching for contestants and audience members based in Las Vegas. Auditions will take place on select dates throughout the month of July - visit the official website for more details.
• June 20, 2016 17:06 Caesars Celebrates 50th with Historic Walking Tour: As the celebrations ramp up for Caesars Palace's 50th anniversary milestone this summer, the property has just launched a novel self-guided Historic Walking Tour and Photo Exhibit, which encourages visitors to discover iconic images and locations from the history of the property and its entertainment offerings, including iconic sporting, culinary, and showbiz moments, popular movie locations, key landmarks, and what are being presented as "Five Lucky Spots" that visitors may wish to visit, just in case (we won't spoil it and tell you what/where they are). The free new experience has been up and running since last weekend and is set to remain in place through the summer.
• June 20, 2016 16:38 Big Dining News from Hard Rock: No sooner had we been assured that nothing more exciting than additional meeting and storage space, plus a new LED sign, was being added to the Hard Rock (see QoD 6/19/2016), than we receive an official email announcing that brothers Michael and David Morton will jointly be debuting a 7,000-square-foot brand new steakhouse at the Hard Rock sometime early in 2017, which will bring the total of Morton's Las Vegas steak shrines to three, with the original concept on Flamingo Road and Michael Morton's N9NE at the Palms. The new venue will occupy a currently undeveloped spot in the southwest corner. Whether this move will have ramifications for the Hard Rock's existing 35 Steaks & Martinis has not been announced and remains to be seen.
• June 20, 2016 14:30 Vegas Swim-Up Bars Snubbed in 'Best' List: Urbandaddy.com has released a list of the World's Most Beautiful Swim-Up Bars but none of Las Vegas' offerings -- which include the swim-up blackjack tables at Hard Rock, Tropicana, and Caesars Garden of the Gods -- made the cut. (As consolationm, we can add that Fodor's included the European Pool at Encore on its list last year, although like Foxtail Pool at SLS, guests need to exit the water in order to get a drink at the bar, so in our book that's not technically a swim-up bar.)
• June 20, 2016 14:03 Health Food Stores Hiring: Fresh 'n' Easy may have bitten the dust, but Sprouts (the stores, not the vegetable) are thriving, with a National Hiring Day to take place June 21 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. at all neighborhood Sprouts locations; visit sprouts.com/careers for more information.
• June 20, 2016 13:43 All-Star Comedy Jam to All-Suite Rio: This July 21 and 22, Shaquille O’Neal’s All Star Comedy Jam returns to Vegas with two-day event in the Penn & Teller Theater to be filmed for a one=hour TV special to air on Showtime. Each of the two nights features a different lineup of urban-comedy talent, hosted by Lavell Crawford and Bill Bellamy, respectively. Tickets start at $73.75 and are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• June 20, 2016 11:18 Circus Circus Altering Name: Circus Circus is getting a new name, kinda. As of June 27, it will officially change from Circus Circus Hotel and Casino to Circus Circus Hotel, Casino & Theme Park. Not exactly a blockbuster development, but official is official
• June 19, 2016 15:07 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 7 Line: The Golden State Warriors are -5 favorites over the Cleveland Cavaliers in tonight's decisive Game 7 of the NBA Championship. If you want to bet the Warriors, look around and you should be able to find a 4.5. The total is 206.
• June 19, 2016 14:19 I-15 Closed at Flamingo: Fox5 News is reporting that unspecified police activity has closed southbound lanes of I-15 freeway near Flamingo Road, with exiting traffic being diverted off at the Spring Mountain off ramp, so expect delays in the area.
• June 19, 2016 13:56 Merciless Mercier: Jason Mercier has been tearing up the World Series of Poker, with two wins and a second already this year. Mercier, now has five WSOP bracelets total, but there's an even bigger story playing out with a series of prop bets he made that stand to make him a lot of money. Get the whole story in a new post in Blair Rodman's WSOP blog, written exclusively for LVA.
• June 19, 2016 13:31 Breakfast Special Reported: After stating in this space that we didn't know of a remaining eggs and meat breakfast special priced below $1.50, it didn't take long for an LVA reader to inform us of one. The Skyline has three $1.49ers -- eggs with choice of bacon or sausage, eggs with minced ham, or pancakes -- served Mon.-Fri. from 6 to 11 a.m. Thank you, readers. Keep the good info coming.
• June 19, 2016 10:03 Sunday Funday 29 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 29" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Along with $100 for first, prizes include an autographed hard cover of The Law for Gamblers, the classic blackjack reference book Blackjack Attack, and our new books, Cherry Picker and Mad Dog Coll. Prizes will again be awarded to the first 14 finishers. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 11228). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• June 19, 2016 09:59 U.S. Open Line: Going into today's final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament, Shane Lowry, sitting on a four-stroke lead, is the -110 favorite to win. Dustin Johnson is +320, and Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia are both +1375.
• June 19, 2016 09:58 Happy Father's Day: In addition to special meals being served all over town, there are some point multipliers today. Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam's Town, and Orleans are paying 7X points on video poker, 11X on slots, and 15X on penny slots. El Cortez has 5X points on video poker and slots. Red Rock, GVR, Santa Fe Station, and Sunset Station have have 3.3X on slots. And don't forget our free Father's Day online poker tournament today; there'll be a link in this space to sign up at 10 a.m. PST.
• June 18, 2016 21:55 UFC MacDonald/Thompson: Rory MacDonald and Stephen Thompson are pick 'em in tonight's UFC main event. This line has jumped all around from Thompson being an early favorite then flipping to MacDonald before closing even.
• June 18, 2016 15:45 Rhythm City Opens in Iowa: The $110 million Rhythm City Casino Resort has opened in Davenport, Iowa. The former riverboat that's now land-based features a 106-room hotel and a casino with 800 slots and 34 table games.
• June 18, 2016 12:49 Trump in Town: Donald Trump spoke at a rally at Treasure Island today. We didn't even know it was happening, but lots of people did as Trump spoke to a packed house. It looks like it was a quick one-off and he'll leave town for other engagements today.
• June 18, 2016 12:37 Buck-Forty-Niner Bites the Dust: The new Club Cafe opens today at Club Fortune, replacing Emily's Cafe. With it comes a price raise, from $1.49 to $1.99, for the eggs and bacon or sausage breakfast special. To our knowledge it was the last in town below $1.50.
• June 18, 2016 10:57 Free LVA Poker Tournament Tomorrow: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 29th Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100, and prizes will be awarded to the top 14 places. Prizes include the autographed hard cover of our new book, The Law for Gamblers, the new Eating Las Vegas 2016, and and the classic Blackjack Attack. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• June 18, 2016 10:12 EDC Traffic Snarls Expected: Expect traffic delays on I-15 beginning in the afternoon both today and tomorrow near Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where the Electric Daisy Carnival is taking place. Traffic ramifications from the huge three-day festival may also spill into Monday morning.
• June 17, 2016 17:50 Another Strip Show Shake-Up: Without any warning that we were aware of, the Country Superstars tribute, which has been been performing (on-and-off) at Bally's since the fall of 2014, is "off" again, with the last show having taken place last night. The good news for country fans, however, which we just ascertained via the show's own Facebook page, is that Country Superstars is set to reopen June 28 at its new home: Hooters!
In other Bally's entertainment news, the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" game show will be recording its shows for 2016-17 season in the former Jubilee Theater. The taping will take place in front of a live studio audience on select dates from July 15 to Sept. 2; tickets are free but must be reserved in advance online via MillionaireTV.com and audience members must be 18+.
And lastly, the Righteous Brothers mini-residency at Harrah's, originally tentatively set to run March 23 thru June 11, has evolved into more of a "maxi"-residency, with tickets now on sale through Dec. 31.
• June 17, 2016 16:07 Bikini Ping Pong at Sapphire Dayclub: Casino superhost and Whale Hunt in the Desert star Steve Cyr is over at Sapphire Dayclub RIGHT NOW, hosting the first event in his Bikini Ping Pong Olympics tour (future venues TBA). Today's inaugural event runs until 7 p.m., with prizes up for grabs, including a free daybed, comped bar tab, and VIP pass for the UFC 200 viewing party at the massive gentlemen's club, while ESPN's Cofield & Co. are broadcasting live from a poolside cabana with guest former UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture. From 6-7 p.m., Steve will be hosting his Vegas Entertainment Show and we figure anything could go.
For the rest of this weekend's entertainment highlights in the fleshpots of Sin City, be sure to consult the weekly report at ToplessVegasOnline.com.
• June 17, 2016 13:25 Daily Summer Slot Tourneys Kicking Off at Cosmopolitan: Commencing June 20, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas will host a daily $1,000 "100 Days of Summer" Giveaway, featuring daily slot tournaments with a daily 1st place prize of $500 in free play. Identity Membership & Rewards players can earn one tournament entry for every 500 Identity slot points earned (up to five per day); new-member sign-ups will receive their first entry after earning 50 Identity Slot Points.
• June 17, 2016 12:07 Hockey Trophies Hit the Hard Rock: Beginning Saturday, June 18* from 3 p.m., and running through 2 p.m. on Tuesday, June 21, 20 of hockey's most-coveted trophies, including the iconic Stanley Cup, will be on display the lobby of the Hard Rock Las Vegas, which will be hosting the NHL Awards next Wednesday. (Hockey fans, pleases note that the Stanley Cup itself won't be joining the exhibit until Monday and will only be on display at select times on Monday and Tuesday.)
• June 17, 2016 09:25 More Flip-Floppery, Courtesy of Cowabunga: Henderson's Cowabunga Bay water park attraction is working in conjunction with local HealthCare Partners Pediatric Clinic locations to offer $19.99 discounted admission wristbands for National Flip Flop Day only (regular price: $39.99). Show your wristband it at the ticket window to receive the discount and visit the HealthCare Partners sponsored booth at the park to pick up some extra, unspecified goodies, but those sporting flip flops qualify for an extra giveaway.
Also, we just learned that, in addition to some additional attractions added this year, Fridays and Saturdays feature SPECTACULAR Slide Nights, when the park remains open until 10 p.m., with night-slide rides, DJs, fire dancers, fire and a fireworks show. Admission to the events is included in the price of Season Passes and Daily Admission, or a rate of $25.99 applies after 5 p.m.
• June 17, 2016 09:15 (Flip) Flop a Winning Hand at Tropical Smoothie Today: In honor of National Flip-Flop Day, area Tropical Smoothie Cafes are hosting their traditional promotion today and rewarding customers who arrive wearing flip-flops from 2-7 p.m. with a complimentary 20-ounce Jetty Smoothie. Those who partake in the promo are encouraged to make a donation to Camp Sunshine, which benefits children with life-threatening illnesses, and their families.
• June 16, 2016 16:04 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 6 Line: The Cleveland Cavaliers are -2 favorites over the Golden State Warriors in Game 6 of the NBA Championship. The total is 207.
• June 16, 2016 14:59 Another Major Mohegan Sun Makeover: Even as work continues on the Connecticut tribal casino's $130 million, 400-room Earth Tower, set to open this fall, Mohegan Sun has announced an additional two-year, $50 million renovation project for the existing Sky Tower, including a major upgrade for the existing spa, two new restaurants, additional retail outlets, and a makeover of the standard rooms and junior suites in the 1,200-room hotel.
• June 16, 2016 12:42 Las Vegas This EDC Weekend: This year marks the 20th anniversary of Electric Daisy Carnival, which returns to its Las Vegas home at the Motor Speedway this weekend; but if the psychedelic-EDM scene ain't your thang, there's plenty of other cool stuff to choose from. Here are some highlights:
- Electric Daisy Carnival Las Vegas 2016 celebrates its 20th Anniversary at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (6/17-19)
- Lorenzi Park hosts the 16th Annual Juneteenth Festival (6/18)
- Catch Cabaret at the Smith Center (6/14-19)
- Magic of Motown Dennis Edwards' Temptation Review will perform at the Golden Nugget (6/17)
- Brooklyn Bowl brings you Drake vs Kayne (Tribute Party) - The Original (6/17), while Dru Hill performs the following evening ((6/18)
- Kansas is center-stage at The Foundry at SLS (6/17)
- Mariah Carey is back for more gigs at Caesars Palace (6/17-18), where Steely Dan and guest Steve Winwood also perform (6/19)
- Slipknot and Marilyn Manson are in the spotlight at the MGM Garden Arena (6/17)
- The Mandalay Bay Beach poolside-concert series returns with Philip Philips & Matt Nathanson (6/18)
- WWE presents the "Money In The Bank" wrestling extravaganza at T-Mobile Arena (6/19)
- Vinyl at Hard Rock welcomes Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth (6/19)
- UNLV Thomas & Mack hosts Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus EXTREME (6/16-19)
- Funnyman Steven Wright performs at the Orleans (6/17-18), where you can also catch the Night of Combat 3 Muay Thai & MMA Championships (6/17)
- And veteran Smokey Robinson takes center-stage at The Star of The Desert Arena at Primm Valley (6/18)
• June 16, 2016 10:47 Beer Pong Tourney Qualifier: From July 6 through 10, the Westgate Las Vegas will host the 2016 World Series of Beer Pong, with a grand prize of $50,000, and on Thursday, June 23 BEER PARK at Paris will host its own qualifying tournament, kicking off at 10 p.m. 32 two-person teams will take part, with a free pitcher of beer to each, plus a complimentary registration for the WSOBP for the winners. Entry to the event is free, but space is limited, so sign up ASAP by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 16, 2016 10:03 DeWitt Wins Millionaire Maker: Jason DeWitt topped a huge field of 7,190 to win the World Series of Poker’s Millionaire Maker and its $1,065,403 first prize. These giant-field tournaments are usually won by first-timers, but it was DeWitt’s second bracelet. In an even more compelling side story, Lisa Meredith, a kindergarten teacher playing in her first WSOP tournament, finished third.
• June 15, 2016 15:38 Clint Holmes to Palazzo: The long-time local favorite, who's enjoyed various casino residencies and has recently been playing the Smith Center, will have a regular gig in the Palazzo Theater commencing July 16, with performances Tues. to Sat. at 10 p.m., through January 14. Clint Holmes: Between The Lines will feature contemporary hits, traditional standards, and Holmes' own compilations.
• June 15, 2016 15:34 Changes at Pot Liquor: The Town Square restaurant has been renamed Pot Liquor Smokehouse Barbecue and has added new items to the menu, including pulled-pork nachos, spare riblets, crab fritters, and cheddar grits and veggies.
• June 15, 2016 10:53 Packer/Alon in the News: The Strip site for Kerry Packer's proposed Alon property is among several Crown Resorts entities to be packaged off as part of a restructuring, reports Bloomberg, although the project's future does not appear to be in jeopardy, at least not at the moment. For more on this and other casino-business developments, see Stiffs & Georges.
• June 15, 2016 10:14 Bookies Out-Perform Pollsters in Political Predictions: The odds set by bookmakers are consistently more reliable than the results produced by opinion polls when it comes to predicting the outcome of key political voting outcomes, reports the AP, with even big-money investors like Morgan Stanley and BlackRock placing more credence in the betting markets than the polls when it comes to key events, like the US presidential election or the the UK's upcoming 'Brexit' referendum.
• June 15, 2016 10:12 Celebrity Pizza Contest at TREVI: TREVI Italian Restaurant, located in the Forum Shops at Caesars, will host a pizza-making contest at 1 p.m. today, featuring three local media personalities each competing to raise funds for a local charity. During the competition, which kicks off at 1 p.m., TREVI will also offer $10 pizzas to spectators. The pizza creations will be judged by a panel that includes hypnotist Anthony Cools and cast members from Luxor's Fantasy topless revue.
• June 15, 2016 09:12 Revel Reopening Delayed: Atlantic City officials have scuppered plans to reopen the former Revel resort today, insisting that inspections of the property's elevators still need to be carried out and key permits, including a liquor license, issued. A spokesman from the Licensing and Inspections department stated that owner Glenn Straub will not be issued a certificate of occupancy until Thursday at the earliest. Straub, meanwhile, announced that he intends to reveal the new name for Revel, which may have an Asian flavor, before the end of this week.
• June 15, 2016 08:54 New Poll Up -- How Will You React to Paid Parking?: Paid parking at MGM Resort International casinos is now a reality on the Strip and everyone's waiting to see if other casinos will follow. You'll be able to vote with your feet (or wheels) by either continuing to support MRI or taking your business elsewhere, but here's your chance to state your intentions up front. This is a hot-button topic and we're expecting a big voter turnout. Let us know what you think by voting in the Paid Parking Reader Poll.
• June 14, 2016 12:55 ELV Author on Radio Today: John Curtas, lead author of Eating Las Vegas 2016, will be on ESPN radio today around 1 p.m. PST. If you can get the Las Vegas signal, tune in to the Mitch and Pritch show at AM 1100.
• June 14, 2016 11:35 NHL Approves Las Vegas Expansion: The official announcement won't come till June 22, but it's being reported that Las Vegas has been approved for a professional hockey franchise in the first expansion of the NHL since 2000. The expansion will most likely be implemented in the 2017-18 season.
• June 14, 2016 09:32 New Bob Dancer Article: This week Bob Dancer tackles some recent reader questions.
• June 14, 2016 09:01 Grosjean Posts on Prying Bosses: In his latest blog post, James Grosjean discusses what it means (and what to do) when a boss sits down on a game that you're playing and beating. Get Grosjean's take on prying pit bosses and many other subjects of relevance to Advantage Players at our exclusive Beyond Numbers blog.
• June 14, 2016 08:35 Riv Tower Comes Down: Preceded by a fireworks show and a countdown, the Riviera's Monaco Tower was imploded without incident early this morning. The older Monte Carlo tower remains standing and is scheduled to come down on an as yet unnamed date in August. You can watch the implosion of the Riviera's Monaco Tower here.
• June 13, 2016 19:12 Riv Implosion Tonight: The implosion of the Riviera's Monaco Tower takes place tonight at 2:30 a.m. In response to questions about the best place to view it, the nearby Barrymore restaurant is perfectly positioned in the Royal Resort directly across the street and is hosting a viewing party that's free to the public. Otherwise, your best bet is to stake out a position on or east of the Strip from which the Riv is in view. This article from the LV Sun provides more information.
• June 13, 2016 17:18 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 5 Line: The Golden State Warriors are -6 favorites over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 5 of the NBA Championship. The total is 209.
• June 13, 2016 16:26 Porter Wins Third Bracelet: Rep Porter won the $1.5K buy-in Seven Card Razz event and $142,624. It was Porter's third World Series of Poker bracelet. Daniel Negreanu finished 4th, Shaun Deeb was 8th, and David Benyamine was 9th in the event.
• June 13, 2016 15:26 Las Vegas Police Increase Security Efforts: In reaction to the shooting in Orlando, Las Vegas Metro says it's increasing its presence on the Strip. Metro says it's working in concert with casino security and the major nightclubs, where police officers will be more frequently present in what's being called an "increased counter-terrorism posture."
• June 13, 2016 11:38 Boyd Restaurants Closed: As part of Boyd Gaming's ongoing revamp of its restaurant line-up, the Cortez Room at Gold Coast and Willy & Jose's at Sam's Town have closed. At Orleans, Brendan's Irish Pub has also closed and the Prime Rib Loft has been moved to a temporary location while work is done there. It's not clear which of these venues will be replaced and which will return after being renovated.
• June 12, 2016 16:37 Penguins/Sharks Game 6 Line: The Pittsburgh Penguins are -125 favorites over the San Jose Sharks in tonight's Game 6 of the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. The goal line is 5, over -130 and under +110.
• June 12, 2016 16:22 Honky-Tonk on the Strip: John Rich of the country band Big & Rich is opening Redneck Riviera in the Grand Bazaar Shops at Bally's. The "Nashville-style honky-tonk bar" is slated to open above what will be Whalburgers in "fall 2016."
• June 12, 2016 09:18 Millionaire Maker Attendance Dips: Similar to Colossus earlier this month, participation was down slightly for another high profile World Series of Poker event, the $1,500 buy-in "Millionaire Maker." This year's field was 7,190, down 1.2% from last year's 7,275.
• June 11, 2016 14:09 Home Plate Grand Opening: The grand opening party of the new Home Plate bar at 2460 W. Warm Springs Rd. takes place tonight from 6 to 9 p.m. There will be food and drink specials and wear a rock 'n roll-style outfit and your first drink is free. There'll also be a high-hand video poker tournament.
• June 11, 2016 13:15 New WSOP Blog: Adding to our coverage of important tournament results, Kill Phil author Blair Rodman is now blogging on his experiences at the World Series of Poker. His first post is up and you can read it here.
• June 11, 2016 11:50 Junefest Tonight: Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo headline the annual Junefest concert starting at 5 p.m. tonight at Sunset Station. Also playing are Lou Gramm of Foreigner, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and the English Beat. Standing room tickets are sold out, but reserved seating remains.
• June 11, 2016 11:28 Belmont Odds: The morning line for today's Belmont Stakes makes Exaggerator the favorite at 6-5. Suddenbreakingnews is 5-1 and Cherry Wine is 8-1. The long shot is Trojan Nation at 67-1.
• June 10, 2016 17:37 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 4 Line: The Cleveland Cavaliers are -2.5 favorites over the Golden State Warriors in Game 4 of the NBA Championship. The total is 206.5.
• June 10, 2016 14:42 Belmont Seminar Tonight: Sunset Station is running a Belmont Stakes handicapping seminar tonight featuring Brian Blessing, Steve Davidowitz, and Richard Eng. It begins at 6 p.m. and is free to attend.
• June 10, 2016 14:23 Revel Reopening: Atlantic City's Revel is scheduled to reopen on June 15 with 900 of its 1,600 hotel rooms available, but apparently no restaurants or casino. It's not clear when (or if ever) they'll be operational, but a long list of off-beat venues and activities planned for the resort includes a rope-climbing course, a bicycle endurance course, a zip-line, an e-sports lounge, a burlesque show, a comedy club, movie theaters, a 32-room spa, and eventually 10 restaurants and a small casino. Revel has been closed since 2014 and was purchased by current owner, Glen Straub, for $82 million.
• June 10, 2016 09:03 Stones Coming to T-Mobile: The Rolling Stones have announced a single-date concert at T-Mobile Arena on October 19. It will be the first visit to Las Vegas for the Stones since May 2013. Ticket prices haven't been announced, but go on sale at 10 a.m. PST on June 17 at AXS.com.
• June 9, 2016 16:33 Penguins/Sharks Game 5 Line: The Pittsburgh Penguins are -175 favorites over the San Jose Sharks in tonight's Game 5 of the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. The goal line is 5, over -135 and under +115.
• June 9, 2016 16:14 Las Vegas This Weekend: There's plenty to keep you busy this weekend. Here are some highlights:
- Festival-wise there's Reggae in the Desert at the Clark County Amphitheater (6/11) while Sunset Station hosts the 96.3 KKLZ Junefest with Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo (6/11)
- The 5th Annual Sundown in Downtown takes place at Heritage Park and is celebrating the Las Vegas Natural History Museum's 25th anniversary (6/10)
- The Montelago Village Beerfest kicks off at 2 p.m. on Saturday and will have over 30 different beers to try (6/11)
- Fremont Street's Rock of Vegas free Summer Concert Series welcomes 3 Doors Down (6/11)
- The Smith Center welcomes Clint Holmes (6/10-12)
- Funnyman Billy Gardell performs at Treasure Island (6/10)
- Mariah Carey continues her mini-residency at Caesars Palace (6/10-11)
- Martin Nievera is center-stage at M Resort (6/11)
- And The Fab Four are in the spotlight at the Orleans
• June 9, 2016 08:12 New York Legalizing DFS: An agreement has been reached for the legalization of daily fantasy sports in New York. New legislation categorizes DFS as a game of skill, thus allowing its play, which will be regulated and taxed by the state. This is big news for DFS providers, given that New York and California are the states with the most players.
• June 9, 2016 08:05 Jersey Boys Ending Run: Jersey Boys will end its Las Vegas run on September 18. Opening at the Venetian in 2008 then moving to Paris ion 2012, the eight-year run is the longest for a Broadway-themed show in Las Vegas, surpassing Phantom -- The Vegas Spectacular and Mamma Mia!, each of which ran six years. It will have logged nearly 3,300 performances by the time it closes.
• June 8, 2016 15:43 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 3 Line: The Cleveland Cavaliers are -1.5 favorites over the Golden State Warriors in Game 3 of the NBA Championship. The total is 204.5.
• June 8, 2016 14:08 Big Guns Come Out in WSOP: It only took the first $10K buy-in to bring out the big guns at the World Series of Poker. Robert Mizrachi beat out a powerhouse final table to win the 7 Card Stud event and the $242,662 first prize. That's four bracelets total for Mizrachi, who becomes the sixth player ever to win an event in three consecutive years. Other big names at the top included Matt Grapenthien (2nd), George Danzer (3rd), Ted Forrest (4th), and David Benyamine (5th).
• June 8, 2016 09:20 New Bob Dancer Article: This week Bob Dancer discusses the smart way to pick up your free play.
• June 8, 2016 08:00 Keeline Wins Colossus: American Benjamin Keeline topped the massive 21,613 field to win the Colossus II event in the World Series of Poker. After last year's prize structure was criticized, the first prize was $1 million this year despite a slightly smaller field.
• June 7, 2016 18:15 SuperContest Adding Fee: The SuperContest at Westgate Las Vegas is adding an 8% "administrative fee" this year. That will raise the entry fee to $1,620, but worse, lower the equity (amount returned), since the collected fee won't go into the prize pool. The NFL handicapping contest drew a record 1,727 contestants last year.
• June 7, 2016 11:49 Wynn Wows: Steve Wynn was the keynote speaker this morning at the 16th International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking being held at the Mirage. Wynn captivated a big audience with the story of how he conceived of and created the Mirage, recognized as the major game-changer in the casino industry, and with candid comments on everything from the state of business on the Strip to the "morons" who generate huge profits in the nightclubs.
• June 7, 2016 07:38 Kinda Colossus: The World Series of Poker's Colossus, which at $565 has the lowest buy-in of the meet, disappointed slightly with participation falling short of last year. This year’s tournament drew 21,613 entrants compared to last year’s 22,374.
• June 6, 2016 16:10 Penguins/Sharks Game 4 Line: The San Jose Sharks are -130 favorites over the Pittsburgh Penguins in tonight's Game 4 of the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. The goal line is 5, over -140 and under +120.
• June 6, 2016 13:49 Problem at Gold Coast: Fox 5 News is reporting that a "stand-off" is in progress right now at the Gold Coast garage. There were no additional details and we don't have confirmation, but police are reportedly on the scene.
• June 6, 2016 12:52 MRI Parking Charges Begin Today: Today's the day the first of the MGM Resorts International casinos will begin charging for parking in their garages. The charges are scheduled to begin at New York-New York, Monte Carlo, Bellagio, Aria, and Vdara, unless you have a Nevada driver's license and are willing to scan it.
• June 6, 2016 12:44 Bonus Points Week at Stations: Get 3.3X points on slots and 2X on video poker at Station Casinos on specified days this week. Get the bonus at Texas Station today, at GVR or Boulder Station on your choice of today or tomorrow, at Red Rock on Tuesday, and at GVR again on Thursday. Swipe your club card at a kiosk to get the bonus. Not valid on 100%-return machines.
• June 5, 2016 15:44 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 2 Line: The Golden State Warriors are -6 favorites over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 2 of the NBA Championship. The total is 209.
• June 5, 2016 13:25 Roberto's Opens at Sam's Town: A Roberto's Taco Shop has opened at Sam's Town. There are several Roberto's located throughout the city, but this is the first in a casino.
• June 4, 2016 17:18 UFC Rockhold/Bisping: Luke Rockhold is a -730 favorite over Michael Bisping in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Dominic Cruz is -415 over Uriijah Faber.
• June 4, 2016 16:36 Penguins/Sharks Game 3 Line: The San Jose Sharks are -145 favorites over the Pittsburgh Penguins in tonight's Game 3 of the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. The goal line is 5.5, over +130 and under -150.
• June 4, 2016 14:42 Fontainebleau Sale Near?: Today's LV Review-Journal reports that a deal to sell the Fontainebleau may be in place "by the end of the summer." Specifics about the buyer or the price weren't divulged, and we've heard this before, but the prospective new owner is said to have plans to complete the resort. It's estimated that it would take two years and $1.2 billion to do so.
• June 4, 2016 13:55 Ali Tribute at FSE: Muhammad Ali will be honored with a Viva Vision canopy tribute tonight at the Fremont Street Experience. The "audio/pictorial retrospective" will run immediately after the scheduled shows that run on the hour from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• June 4, 2016 13:44 AC Showboat Reopening Without Casino: Atlantic City's Showboat is reopening, but not as a casino. Only the hotel will operate, with 852 of its 1,300 rooms available as early as July 4.
• June 3, 2016 16:40 Inside Man Meets K-O Tonight: Tonight's season opener of CNN's "Morgan Spurlock Inside Man" takes the host to Las Vegas where he hooks up with some of the town's top gamblers in an attempt to beat the casinos. The Huntington Press connection is Knock-Out Blackjack author, Olaf Vancura, who teaches Spurlock the K-O count. Even we don't know how he did at the tables, but we'll find out with everyone else at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST.
• June 3, 2016 12:37 Excessive Heat Warning: In case you hadn't noticed, it's hot! With temperatures set to climb to 110 degrees for parts of the Las Vegas Valley (and 117-122 in Death Valley) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for Las Vegas that will last until 8 p.m. Sunday night. Be sure to keep yourself -- and your pets -- well hydrated.
• June 3, 2016 12:28 100X Odds at Cromwell: The Cromwell is advertising 100X odds on craps. We haven't checked out the details, but it's only the second casino in Las Vegas to deal an odds multiple this high, joining Casino Royale.
• June 3, 2016 08:02 Monte Carlo Renamed: To the surprise of almost no one, the Monte Carlo will be renamed to tie it into the neighboring Park complex. It was announced today that the resort will be "reimagined" and "rebranded" as Park MGM. However, sharing top billing in the press release is a second hotel component, The NoMad Las Vegas. It wasn't specifically stated, but it appears that The NoMad, which established its brand in New York City, will be a hotel-within-a-hotel, similar to Four Seasons or Delano at MBay or Nobu at Caesars Palace. The $450 million transformation will include a complete makeover of the rooms and new restaurants and bars, including the NoMad restaurant.
• June 2, 2016 16:20 Warriors/Cavaliers Game 1 Line: The Golden State Warriors are -6 favorites over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 1 of the NBA Championship. The total is 210.5.
• June 2, 2016 13:26 Las Vegas This Weekend: Here are some highlights and don't forget the sunblock -- it's going to be a hot one!:
- Kick off your weekend Downtown, at First Friday, and celebrate June Tunes (6/3)
- Jazz in the Park continues with Kneebody at the Clark County Amphitheater (6/4)
- It's the Third Annual Las Vegas Hemp Fest at Craig Ranch Regional Park (6/4-5)
- Grass Roots are center-stage at the Golden Nugget (6/3)
- Dwight Yoakam is in the spotlight at the Venetian (6/3-4)
- Caesars Palace welcomes comedian Jeff Dunham: Perfectly Unbalanced (6/5)
- And T-Mobile Arena will host the Miss USA Pageant (6/5)
• June 2, 2016 12:04 Beer Olympics: Beer Park at Paris will host its first Beer Olympics tonight starting at 10 p.m. Two-person teams will compete in beer pong, pool, shuffleboard, flip cup, and beanbag toss. It's free to enter and participants will get complimentary drink tickets. Sign up to play at email@example.com.
• June 2, 2016 09:28 Colossus II Begins Today: Today is the first of three days to enter the World Series of Poker's Colossus II no-limit Texas hold 'em tournament. The $565 buy-in is the lowest of the tournament and last year attracted over 22,000 entries, the most ever for a WSOP event.
• June 1, 2016 16:42 Penguins/Sharks Game 2 Line: The Pittsburgh Penguins are -135 favorites over the San Jose Sharks in tonight's Game 2 of the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. The goal line is 5.5, over +115 and under -135.
• June 1, 2016 11:57 Riv Implosion Date Named: It's just been announced that the demolition of the Riviera will begin on June 14, with a scheduled 2 a.m. implosion of the Monaco Tower. A separate implosion of the Monte Carlo tower will take place at a subsequent date not yet specified.
• June 1, 2016 11:04 New Poll Up -- Who Deserves the Title Mrs. Las Vegas?: Several men have laid claim at one time or another to the unofficial title "Mr. Las Vegas," but what about the ladies? Vote for your favorite female in our new Reader Poll, or tell us what deserving dame we've left off the list.
• June 1, 2016 09:32 WSOP Begins: The 47th World Series of Poker kicks off today with the traditional Casino Employees tournament. This year's meet includes 69 events, with the Main Event beginning July 9. We'll be posting news and results of the marquee tournaments throughout in this space.