Compiled by LVA Research
• December 9, 2013 11:51 Strip Club Birthday:
Sapphire gentlemen's club is celebrating its 11th birthday in Las Vegas this Thursday, Dec. 11, with a hosted open bar and hors d'oeuvres from 7-9 p.m., a live performance by HardNox, and a variety show from the (awesome) Sapphire Comedy Hour. Should be fun!
• December 9, 2013 11:32 Gaga Tix on Sale:
Tickets to catch Lady Gaga's ARTPOP Ball tour, which hits the MGM Grand Garden Arena July 19, are now on sale and start at $38 (plus tax/fees). The performer was forced to cancel many dates on her previous tour in order to undergo surgery and recuperation following a serious hip injury.
• December 9, 2013 10:50 Casino Going Cheap:
After a proposed sale to PokerStars fell apart back in May, New Jersey's Atlantic Club Casino Hotel, has failed to find another buyer and is now expected to go to auction, perhaps as soon as Dec. 17. The property, formerly the Atlantic City Hilton, has declared assets (excluding real property), of $17.1 million and liabilities of $16.8 million. If, as anticipated, the property goes for less than the $15 million that PokerStars parent company The Rational Group was to pay for the casino, it will be by far the lowest price ever paid for an Atlantic City casino.
• December 9, 2013 10:22 Fun-Land Downsized: If you haven't yet checked out today's Question of the Day, it's an interesting one for all you history buffs out there, regarding an obscure and long-forgotten amusement park that briefly had a home in Henderson, more than a half-century ago. If you've already checked it out, this is just a note to say we realized our image of Fun-Land was supersized, depriving you of half the view; this has now been rectified, so you may view the design concept in all its glory.
We also heard back from a reader who had recollections of the defunct site, so we've added those as an "Update," too.
• December 9, 2013 10:00 Celebrate Friday 13 with Evil Dead:
The long-running interactive comedy gorefest musical at Miracle Mile's V Theater is celebrating this coming Friday, Dec. 13 in style, with festivities spilling over into Sat. 14, just for the helluvit. For those two nights only, you can print this coupon and present it at the Box Office to receive specially discounted $13 tix (reg. General Admission are $62.68, inclusive of tax/fees), plus they're giving the show some special "Friday 13" tweaks and offering exclusive merchandise. Note that the coupon is only good for tickets purchased in person; you can't use it online.
• December 9, 2013 09:26 Elton on Sale:
Here's a quick reminder that tickets for Elton John's next set of dates for his Million Dollar Piano at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace go on sale this morning at 10 a.m. PST. The 16 concerts will be played on sporadic days between March 29 and April 26, 2014.
• December 8, 2013 12:53 Cleo Signs on at SLS
SLS Las Vegas has announced that the Los Angeles-based Cleo will join the resort's big-name restaurant line-up. Cleo will be the second major Strip restaurant to specialize in Mediterranean cuisine, along with Estiatorio Milos at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. SLS is scheduled to open in the fall of 2014.
• December 8, 2013 12:17 College Bowl Contest:
William Hill is running its "20/20 College Bowl Challenge" for the second year running. Unlimited entries are $20 each and the prize pool is a guaranteed $20,000. Contestants choose 20 games and there's a $50,000 bonus for a perfect card. Entry deadline is Dec. 30, but the card will be available for early games on Dec. 13.
• December 8, 2013 11:59 Trailer Station Coming:
"Trailer Station" fans, head on over to the old Castaways site on Tuesday, where Station Casinos will once again play host to a 10"-high (yup, that's legal); 16-slot, eight-hour casino, certain to attract a few curiosity seekers, if little business. Hours of operation are 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Visit the Question of the Day Archives -- 4/28/13; 4/13/13; 7/26/12, et al., for more on this subject.)
• December 8, 2013 10:44 Strip Restaurant Up for Grabs:
Once again, Eater Vegas has under-the-radar news regarding another piece of major Strip real estate that's quietly on the market (see "Today's News" 11/21/13), with word that a 4,000-square-foot Italian restaurant is for sale. Bid price: $2.3 million (which includes fixtures and furniture valued at $2 mill.) While no official announcement has been made, Eater is putting its money on Lombardi's Romagna Mia in the Miracle Mile Shops as being the most likely candidate.
• December 8, 2013 08:23 Santa-Run Record:
Yesterday's Great Santa Run set the record for Santa-runners with 11,221 participants, bettering Liverpool, England's 10,000+ last week. Shania Twain served as the grand marshal for the 5K run and 1-mile walk that benefitted Opportunity Village, reportedly raising more than $400,000.
• December 8, 2013 06:52 Free Hits Wi-Fi Downtown:
It's been a long time in the works (the concept was first posited in the summer of 2007), but late last week downtown Las Vegas' much-promised free Wi-Fi program was rolled out, offering people within a one-mile radius of the Fremont Street Experience access to complimentary 1 Mbps Wi-Fi from their smartphones and laptops. Over the course of the next 12 months, operators LV.net plan to expand the catchment area to a three-square-mile radius, with increased speeds of up to 10 Mbps.
• December 7, 2013 21:05 NCAA Championship Line:
The game hasn't been officially announced, but it looks like Florida St. will play Auburn in the NCAA football championship game. The first line has already been put up offshore, with Florida St. -7 favorites and the total 63.5.
• December 7, 2013 15:30 Batali Burger Bar Beckons:
After a several-month-long delay, B&B Burger & Beer, the new casual offering from Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich, is now open at Venetian. As with their other Las Vegas ventures, the restaurant focuses on locally sourced ingredients (Batali runs weekly farmers market in town) and beers from Nevada and Southern California. There's a to-go window that's handily placed for patrons of the casino's race and sports book, too.
• December 7, 2013 11:04 Santa Hits Boulder City:
It's been a busy season already for St. Nick, with appearances lined up all over the Vegas valley and beyond. Today sees him out at Boulder City for a family-friendly event at Bicentennial Park. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. there will be photo opps with Santa, then from 4:30 p.m. an Electric Night Parade will take place through downtown Boulder City, featuring a dazzling display of lit floats, bands, and other festive fun. As if that's not enough, at 6:30 p.m. head over to Boulder Beach to bag a spot from which to watch the annual Christmas Parade of Lights.
• December 7, 2013 09:28 Yet Another Reprieve for Harmon Tower:
The controversial and fatally flawed condo tower at CityCenter received yet another stay of execution Friday, albeit only a brief one, with the judge in charge of this drawn-out debacle giving the insurers who hold the policy for construction being awarded another week to investigate the building's flaws. CityCenter, which jointly owns the project along with dormant partners Dubai World, has filed a $393 million claim on the Harmon as a total loss.
• December 6, 2013 18:25 King's Ransom Update:
Just to clarify on our post from yesterday, you don't actually have to do any social media shenanigans etc. to enjoy free admission to the Elvis exhibit at Binion's -- the former $10 admission charge has been waived for all, so have at it!
• December 6, 2013 12:19 New Post from Grosjean at Beyond Numbers: In light of some comments and feedback received following his debut post at Beyond Numbers, the latest addition to the LVA blog family, James Grosjean bites back with an exercise for all readers, particularly those who took issue with his inaugural piece (don't worry, it's not yoga, but you will need a dart to throw). Check it out and feel free to post your comments, as this new blog offers a unique opportunity to interact with the man widely acknowledged as being the top professional gambler in the world today. He's encouraging conversation and will be responding to select comments and questions, while gearing up to share his next words of wisdom -- or else launch another cerebral missile.
We're really excited to see where Beyond Numbers goes, but one thing of which we can assure you is that it will never be dull; another, we're pretty certain of, is that you'll always come away from any visit with your thinking head on and, most likely, having learned something useful. We strongly urge anyone with even the most casual interest in/grasp of gambling to visit with regularity; if you're currently or are considering turning pro, it's absolutely going to be required reading, as much for Grosjean's shared experience and tips on what to say and do (or not), as for his insights into how to play optimally. All areas have much wider implications that extend to life in general, well beyond the casino floor or laptop.
• December 6, 2013 11:41 Kudos to Strip Club Bartender:
As we reported yesterday via happy hour in Las Vegas, too, with $3 wells, wines, domestics, and imports, plus $100 premium bottles, served Mon.-Fri., 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. There's also a daily menu of food specials -- click the link for details.
• December 6, 2013 10:26 Casinos for Israel?:
While two years after his announced intent to expand his casino empire to Europe, Las Vegas Sands boss Sheldon Adelson seems no nearer to creating a "mini-Las Vegas Strip" in Spain, the latest country to express interest in introducing gambling is Israel, according to the latest reports. Last October, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval met with a group of the Jewish state's political leaders as part of a trade mission aimed at diversifying Nevada's economy, but apparently the concept of introducing casino gambling as a boost to Israel's tourism trade was also tentatively discussed, with the town of Mitzpe Ramon, located at the edge of a giant crater in the Negev Desert about two hours drive from Tel Aviv, potentially earmarked as a future Vegas-style gaming destination.
• December 6, 2013 10:17 No End in Sight for Absinthe:
The "acro-cabaret" adult variety show Absinthe, which has performed to rave reviews since its debut in April 2011, has signed a multi-year extension to stay in its tented home in the Roman Plaza at Caesars Palace.
• December 6, 2013 09:39 More Dates for Elton:
Now that he and partner David Furnish have their own Champagne bar at Caesars, Sir Elton has confirmed there will definitely be more dates for his Million Dollar Piano show at the Colosseum, with his next performances confirmed for 16 sporadic dates from March 29 through April 26. Tickets go on sale Monday, Dec. 9.
• December 6, 2013 09:38 Holiday Display at Bellagio: The new display for the winter holidays was officially unveiled today at Bellagio's Conservatory & Botanical Gardens and, at 45 feet, features as its centerpiece Las Vegas' largest indoor Christmas tree. Other highlights include a life-sized snow globe and a family of topiary polar bears, plus there's free nightly live music supplied by a group of marimba and vibraphone performers. Click to check out the live webcam.
In regard to the polar bears, their prominence is in part to help raise awareness for the plight of the species in the wild, which is being severely threatened by the combined effects of over-hunting, climate change, pollution, and other dangers to its habitat as a result of various commercial enterprises. Bellagio has partnered with Coca-Cola and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) during this year’s exhibit, with visitors to the exhibit encouraged to donate to the conservation effort at ArcticHome.com.
• December 5, 2013 17:48 Move Over Underwater Santa:
...'cos the Forum Shops at Caesars has scuba elves! Yes, feeding time at the newly upgraded Atlantis attraction now features "aquarists" in elf wet suits. We like! Cheer up, Sub-Aqua Silverton Santa, we still love you and your helper babes, plus we remember where Underwater Christmas started and it wasn't Atlantis.
• December 5, 2013 14:56 Skating Frenzy Knows No Bounds:
Ice rinks are the new black, with yet another skating option entering the fray from - surprise! - Tony Hsieh. Yep, we may have lost the Lake Las Vegas floating rink this year (we know not why, but can guess that financial considerations and loss of the still-shuttered Casino MonteLago could well be factors) but fear not, since that's more than made up for by the return of the faux-ice rink to Venetian/Palazzo and the real-ice rink at Cosmo, plus new arrivals at Sunset Park (open); Caesars Palace (was due to open Friday, Dec. 6, but seems to be a bit behind sched.); and now a non-ice ice rink coming any day now to the Gold Spike, as reported by Robin Leach in the Las Vegas Sun. Is this Las Vegas' novel approach to solving traffic-congestion problems on the Strip? Soon, you'll be able to skate your way around town in the winter, and, if all plans come to fruition, zip-line about town, Tarzan-style, come the summer. This flavor of "only-in-Vegas" awesomeness we can definitely get behind.
- The 2013 National Finals Rodeo kicks off today at the Thomas & Mack Center (12/5-12/14) and there are tons of related things to do around town, including Bill Engvall at TI (12/6 & 12/13), Rodney Carrington at the MGM (12/5-12/14), Billy Childers at South Point 912/6-12/8), Clay Walker at the Venetian (12/6-12/7), Dierks Bentley at the Palms (12/6), Gretchen Wilson at the Golden Nugget (12/6-12/7), Easton Corbin at the Mirage (12/14), and many many more. Check out www.nfrexperience.com for details on all these events and more.
- Clint Holmes entertains at the Smith Center (12/6-12/8)
- Beyonce takes the stage at MGM Grand (12/6), followed by Andrea Bocelli (12/7)
- "Psychic medium" John Edward is at the Flamingo (12/7-12/8)
- It's First Friday downtown (dress warm!) (12/6)
- And there are a bazillion Holiday activities already up and running, including: Cactus Gardens at Ethel M; nightly Holiday Spectacular and ice skating at the Venetian; more skating now at Cosmo and Sunset Park, with additional options coming soon (see earlier post); Scuba Santa at the Silverton; Glittering Lights at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Opportunity Village's Magical Forest; holiday display goes live at Bellagio Conservatory on Fri., and the 9th annual Las Vegas Great Santa Run takes place Downtown on Dec. 7th.
• December 5, 2013 11:29 Repeal Day!:
It's the 80th anniversary of the reversal of Prohibition today, and bars all over town are celebrating their legality with lots of drinking specials. Eater Vegas has a good list (hint: the Mob Museum is going all out with showgirls and a costume contest and more), to which we can add the newly opened Echo & Rig Butcher and Steakhouse at Tivoli Village (check in with Foursquare or Facebook to claim your your constitutional right to a $3 era-inspired cocktails, and whisper "Speakeasy special" to your server for some secret food deals).
• December 5, 2013 10:52 Great Deal for Elvis Fans:
If you're a fan of "The King" and have a Facebook account, you can now check out the King's Ransom memorabilia exhibit at Binion's for free (reg. admission is $10)simply by "Liking" it, we just learned courtesy of Vegas Chatter.
• December 5, 2013 10:31 Great Gift Ideas for Vegas Fans:
Our 2013 Holiday Catalog is out and it's full of great ideas for Vegas nuts, gamblers, fans of Mob history, fiction enthusiasts, game-players. From a miniature slot machine to play at home, to awesome stocking-stuffers, to great deals on book and software bundles, you'll definitely find some must-haves at knock-down prices, so check it out!
• December 5, 2013 10:11 New Brunch Coming to Downtown:
The much-vaunted (and deservedly so -- see our review in December LVA Pizza Rock is launching a new Acoustic Sunday Brunch, starting this Sunday, Dec. 8. The menu will feature options like Pizza Rock Benedict (poached eggs, crispy pancetta, hollandaise sauce, served on toasted focaccia with country potatoes) and Meatball Hash N’ Eggs, plus $10 bacon Bloody Marys and bottomless mimosas, also $10 with purchase of any brunch menu item. Sounds awesome.
• December 5, 2013 09:51 Switcheroo at Home Plate:
Our current Top Ten includes a December video poker deal at a bar called Home Plate that's been significantly altered, but is still good. One reason is a concurrently running video poker promotion there that yields a 101+% return. The whole story, including details on getting the necessary coupon for the VP bonus, is covered in today's Question of the Day.
• December 4, 2013 17:59 Bally's Grand Bazaar - It's a Go:
Just when we were beginning to worry that there weren't ever going to be enough "eclectic food, dining" and retail complexes on the Strip (the Linq, the Park, Harmon Corner, Miracle Mile, Canal Shoppes, and new plans from the New Trop and old TI), we're relieved to announce that the long-rumored (see QoD Archive 9/17/12; 3/3/13) Grand Bazaar at Bally's is really going to happen, adding more than 150 stores for our shopping pleasure by the fall of 2014, according to the plan confirmed today. The 21st century bazaar, modeled loosely (we assume very, since none of the following has undulating day-glo roof tiles) on the likes of the ancient open-air markets of Istanbul, Jerusalem, Marrakesh, and London, will be an "innovative, uniquely merchandised" (eh?) venue taking up more than two Strip-side acres currently occupied by Bally's ginormous glow-stick thingies.
• December 4, 2013 15:32 ACM Awards Confirmed for Vegas:
Las Vegas will again host the Academy of Country Music Awards, which will be broadcast live on CBS from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Sunday, April 6. Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan return as co-hosts of this, the 49th annual event, while Florida Georgia Line will host the 4th annual ACM Fan Jam, to be held at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Tickets for both events go on sale Friday, Dec. 13 at Ticketmaster.com.
• December 4, 2013 09:26 Britney is Here:
She's here! "Megasuperstar" Britney Spears made her grand entrance on the Las Vegas Strip last night in a 1958 Chevy Impala Convertible, escorted by an eight-car motorcade, with a tribute performance of some of her biggest hits on the steps of Planet Ho. As we announced yesterday, more dates have been announced for her Las Vegas residency, with an on-sale date for the general public of this Saturday, Dec. 7; Total Rewards club members can enjoy a pre-sale opportunity from 10 a.m. PST on Thursday, Dec. 5.
• December 3, 2013 17:52 Vote in Our Coupon Poll:
Our current Reader Poll closes at midnight and it's a timely one and in your interests to participate in, oh loyal readers! We want to know what your fave LVA Member Rewards coupon of all time is/was, and the results are great ammo for us when hitting up our partners or new affiliates for renewals/future offers, so if you haven't yet, exercise that voting finger and let us know what you want/miss most, and why. You have until midnight tonight, only, then a brand new poll goes live, so don't delay - vote today!
• December 3, 2013 16:50 More Britney Dates:
She hasn't even arrived yet, let along performed, but already Britney Spears is adding more dates to her upcoming Vegas run. Originally, sporadic concerts were announced starting Dec. 27 and running through Feb. 22, 2014; dates have now been confirmed for the third and fourth phases of this "residency," commencing April 25 and running through Sept. 6 of next year.
• December 3, 2013 16:49 Final Cabin Affixed to High Roller:
It's been tough keeping up with the pod count on the Linq's High Roller observation wheel, on account of them moving the existing pods around and rotating the wheel during the construction process, but we no longer need to crane our necks or check out the live cam for a guesstimate, with news that this morning, the final and 28th passenger cabin was put in place. This phase of the attraction's genesis was completed in half the time first projected, leaving the project well on track to hit its estimated early 2014 debut. Congrats to all involved -- it's been great watching this new landmark come to fruition and the time-frame has, indeed, been impressive.
• December 3, 2013 11:34 Here Comes Britney:
CeeLo Green brought the Strip to a standstill with showgirls (and boys), fireworks, and a flaming piano for his arrival at Planet Hollywood; at 11 p.m. tonight, it's time for Britney Spears to make her dramatic entrance to the resort and apparently Las Vegas Boulevard will be "transformed in an over-the-top, elaborate fashion." That's all the PR folks are saying, so either they only just found out that the pop diva had decided to arrive and are out scrambling for some party poppers and a performing seal, or else it's all completely planned and is just super top secret... One way or another, the "mega-superstar" will be landing tonight, in advance of her Dec. 27 debut -- the start of what promises to be a two-year residency.
• December 3, 2013 10:05 Weather Warning:
Wrap up super-snuggly today because winds of up to 55 mph are expected, heralding a cold front that will see the first sub-zero temperatures of the season to hit the Vegas valley. (And we're not wearing any socks. Awesome!) The wind advisory is in effect from right now until midnight.
• December 3, 2013 09:30 Dancer Gets Historical:
This week, for a change video poker maestro Bob Dancer isn't talking about video poker, or bankrolls, or casino promos, but instead presents a potted history of former Las Vegas casino mogul Jay Sarno, the "First Emperor of Las Vegas." It's an interesting read that complements our previous two-part Question of the Day on the subject, which ran 3/4-3/5/11).
• December 2, 2013 12:53 EDC Tix on Sale NOW!:
Tickets are now on sale for the 2014 Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, scheduled for June 20-22. General admission three-day passes are $345, plus a $40.23 service charge.
• December 2, 2013 12:51 Cyber Monday at CET:
Yup, it's that time of year again and Caesars Entertainment is rolling out the deals, with discounts on stays at their properties nationwide. While an unwelcome development to some since last year has been the company's introduction of resort fees, they're off-setting that with a $25-$50 dining/resort credit at most Las Vegas properties as part of the Cyber Monday Room Sale. Nice!
• December 2, 2013 12:29 Shopping Mall Sold:
It was back in July that we first reported that the Boulevard Mall was up for sale. Today comes news that a buyer has been found and that the 1.2 million-square-foot property, located at 3528 South Maryland Parkway and built in 1965, has been purchased by local entity Sansone Companies/Boulevard Ventures, LLC, for an undisclosed sum. The buyer plans to upgrade the facility and add new tenants.
• December 2, 2013 10:53 CouponPalooza Time at LVA!:
As hoped, we are once again running our end-of-year coupon blowout, with the chance to sign up for a 3-Month Trial Membership to Las Vegas Advisor for a mere 12 bucks (which includes a copy of the 2013 Member Rewards Coupon Book, which you still have a month to take advantage of); even better, parlay that with our special offer on the 2014 American Casino Guide for a total of just $25! NOTE: These offers don't ship, so you need to come pick up your purchase from our office during regular business hours (Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.); limit on either deal is one per person, two per household.
• December 2, 2013 10:49 Free NFR App is Out:
Coming to Vegas for the National Finals Rodeo (Dec. 5-14)? Download the new free NFR app, available for iPhone, Droid, Blackberry, etc., and stay in touch with all the latest announcements and special events.
• December 2, 2013 09:38 Mob Museum to Up Price for Locals:
Currently, locals receive a significant ($9.95) discount on entry to the popular Mob Museum downtown, but as of Jan. 1, the price will be raised from $10 to $13.95, so go see this attraction while you can at the current rate. The good news is for members of the military, seniors, and teachers, who currently pay $15.95 but will enjoy deeper discounts in the future ($11.95 locals/$13.95 non-locals). Don't forget that if you're a current LVA subscriber, you can download a deal at CouponsinVegas.com for a $4 discount off whatever entry price currently applies to you.
• December 1, 2013 16:21 Attraction Update:
While the Linq's High Roller observation wheel is just one pod off (we're pretty sure) its final complement of 28, and so looks well set for on-time completion, and downtown's Slotzilla zip line also seems to be on track to meet its (postponed) December debut, now that we find ourselves officially in the month of December, there is absolutely no way that Rio's VooDoo Zip Line can conceivably meet its promised November debut date, seeing as it still has no lines on which to zip, among other things.
• December 1, 2013 16:19 Frugal December Listings:
Jean Scott has just posted her round-up of December Vegas Casino Promotions via her Frugal Vegas blog, which you can access from our home page, or just click to go there direct. Check it out for a heads-up on bonus-point and gift days, drawings, freeplay deals, and other valuable promos around town.
• December 1, 2013 16:05 SNF Giants/Redskins:
In tonight's Sunday Night Football game, the NY Giants and Washington Redskins are Pick 'Em (thre is no favorite, but you still lay -110 to win 100 at the sports book). The total is 45.
• December 1, 2013 12:36 Container Park Opens:
Downtown’s Container Park has opened. The complex located at Fremont and 7th Streets features restaurants, bars, boutiques, and art galleries housed in box-like structures. There's also an outdoor theater and park. The opening is being termed "soft," with a grand opening planned for an unnamed date later this month.
• December 1, 2013 10:36 HR Gift-Card Promo:
Earn 1,000 base slot points ($2,000 coin-in) or 2,000 table points at the Hard Rock and get a $25 Macy's gift card. That's a strong 1.25% premium and player retains the points. You can win a maximum four per day through Dec. 25.
• December 1, 2013 10:32 Golden Gate Renaming Bar:
The main bar at the Golden Gate is getting a new name. One of the longest operating bars in Las Vegas, it will officially become Prohibition Bar on Dec. 5, the 80th anniversary of Repeal Day.