Compiled by LVA Research
• February 25, 2017 17:22 March Madness Contest: Station Casinos will run its "Last Man Standing" contest for the March Madness college basketball tournament. Entry fee is $25 and if you buy four you get a fifth free. There's a guaranteed winner-take-all prize of $50,000, which may grow larger depending on participation.
• February 25, 2017 11:16 HR Steakhouse Named: The new steakhouse from Michael and David Morton at the Hard Rock will be called MB Steak, which stands for Morton Brothers. It’s scheduled to open in the new-tower section in May.
• February 25, 2017 09:16 MRI Raising Resort Fees: Caesars did it two weeks ago, now MGM is following suit. MGM Resorts International has announced that it will raise resort fees at most of its hotels as of March 2. The CET increase was $1 to $3; MGM's is $1 to $5 and now range from a low of $30.61 (including tax) per night at Circus Circus to $44.22 at Aria and Bellagio.
• February 24, 2017 18:42 No Return for Downtown Crown: The Downtown Crown won't be coming back after all. When the third Crown & Anchor closed in the Arts District, management stated that they intended to reopen it in the same spot. Instead, an LGBT bar called the Urban Lounge has announced that it will open there this weekend.
• February 24, 2017 11:14 New Poll Up -- Your Favorite Game: What's your favorite machine game? Double Double video poker? Jacks or Better? Deuces Wild? Video keno? This is a good one that's producing an interesting result. Let us know what you play by voting in our new Reader Poll that's live now.
• February 24, 2017 09:16 SpeedVegas Reopens: Two weeks after a crash that killed a customer and an instructor, the SpeedVegas driving facility has reopened. SpeedVegas owners say they've conducted an exhaustive review of the operation and have determined that there were no overlooked precautions involved in the crash; however, an investigation by the Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration is ongoing.
• February 24, 2017 08:58 Convention Center Will Be Second Largest: Additional details of the $1.4 billion expansion of the Las Vegas Convention Center have been released. When the project is completed in 2020, the convention center will be the second largest in the U.S. with 2.5 million square feet of exhibit space, trailing only Chicago's McCormick Place with 2.6 million. The plan and budget will be considered for approval in May.
• February 23, 2017 11:59 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
• February 23, 2017 09:55 Gridiron Grill at Red Rock: The Gridiron Grill opens today at Red Rock Resort. It replaces the Wiener's Circle as the food outlet in the sports book area.
• February 23, 2017 09:16 Downtown E-Sports Arena Opening: Downtown's e-sports arena has announced an opening date of March 3. Millennial Esports at Neonopolis will feature a 200-seat "stadium" and a competition area that will accommodate another 500 spectators. A release describing the venue says it will also have "food and beverage establishments," which we take to mean restaurants and bars, and an arcade.
• February 22, 2017 14:16 Japan Heating Up: Add Melco Crown Entertainment to the competition to build a casino in Japan. Following a statement by Sheldon Adelson that LV Sands Corp. would spend up to $10 billion on a resort in Japan, Melco's CEO, Lawrence Ho, countered that he would spend "whatever it takes." Others in the hunt are MGM Resorts International and Hard Rock.
• February 22, 2017 10:34 National Margarita Day: Every day is National-Something Day, but today's designation as National Margarita Day will pay dividends in Las Vegas. For example, house margaritas are 2-for-1 at Texas Station, but lots of bars figure to be running specials today, especially those with Mexican themes, such as Cabo Wabo Cantina, El Segundo Sol, Hussong’s Cantina, and Margaritaville at the Flamingo.
• February 22, 2017 08:36 Dancer Touches on a Moral Issue: What should you do if you see someone drop money in a casino, keep it or hand it back? That's the subject of a new Bob Dancer post at GamblingWithAnEdge.com that's prompted several readers to post their opinions.
• February 21, 2017 15:29 Tea Tuesdays at Lucky Dragon: Lucky Dragon has initiated "Tea Tuesdays," featuring 50% off exotic teas in Cha Garden. The promotion is running every Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
• February 21, 2017 13:27 Neon Museum Getting Bigger: The Neon Museum is expanding thanks to a $425,000 grant from the city of Las Vegas. The museum at 770 Las Vegas Blvd. N. has purchased an adjacent parcel of land that will provide space for 30 more signs to be displayed.
• February 21, 2017 09:49 Price Increase for Arizona Charlie's Specials: The prices have been raised on the breakfast and hamburger specials at the Sourdough Cafes at both Arizona Charlie's. Formerly $4.99, the steak or ham & eggs breakfasts are now $5.55 and the hamburger & fries is $5.99 (when you show a club card).
• February 20, 2017 15:24 Papaya King Coming to the Strip: Just three months after opening its first restaurant on Harmon across from the Hard Rock, a second Papaya King is preparing to open on the Strip according to Eater Las Vegas. The distinctive yellow and red Papaya King building is already in place in the Hawaiian Market enclave just north of MGM Grand, though an opening date hasn't been announced.
• February 20, 2017 11:09 Nevada Noted for Thai: In this weekend's Parade Magazine feature on comfort food in all 50 states, Nevada’s entry was "Thai food." The entry cited "more than 450 restaurants in Las Vegas alone," but didn’t name any.
• February 20, 2017 07:49 Presidents' Day Promos: Several casinos are running Presidents' Day promotions today. Boyd casinos are awarding 15X points on pennies, 11X on other reels, and 6X on video poker. SLS has 10X points on slots and 3X on video poker. South Point has 5X points on slots and 2X on video poker. Earn 300 points at Stations or Fiestas and get a cherry pie. Earn 50 points at Rampart and get a candy bar, 100 of which come with $50 in free-play. Silverton club members get 2-for-1 buffets from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. And yes, we choose "Presidents'" over "President's" and "Presidents" in the spelling of this holiday, for which all three choices have precedents.
• February 19, 2017 18:22 UFC Browne/Lewis: It should be a competitive UFC card tonight. Travis Browne and Derrick Lewis are pick 'em in the main event. In the other featured match, Hector Lombard and Johny Hendricks are also pick 'em.
• February 19, 2017 17:05 NBA All-Star Game Line: The West is a -6 favorite over the East in tonight's NBA All-Star Game. The total is a majestic 352.
• February 19, 2017 10:00 Sunday Funday 37 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 37" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Along with $100 for first, prizes include LVA membership with the 2017 Member Rewards Book, copies of our just-released The Frugal Gambler Casino Guide and Blackjack for Blood, and several new prizes. Prizes will again be awarded to the first 14 finishers. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 12293). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• February 19, 2017 09:48 Cookies at Coasts: Get a box of Girl Scout Cookies today after earning 300 points ($300 coin-in) at Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam's Town, or Orleans. Earn the points on any machine between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. and swipe at a kiosk to redeem.
• February 18, 2017 16:57 Airbnb Making a Dent: Here's one way to beat the resort fees. More than 340,000 Nevada visitors stayed at an Airbnb rental in 2016, up 150% from the year before. Airbnb is the home-sharing equivalent of Uber or Lyft for ride-sharing. While it's currently a small piece of the lodging pie, experts expect a growing number of home-sharing services to increase their market share as visitors become more comfortable with the process.
• February 18, 2017 11:34 Free Online Poker Tournament Tomorrow: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 37th Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100, and prizes will be awarded to the top 14 places. Prizes include LVA membership with the 2017 Member Rewards Book, copies of our just-released The Frugal Gambler Casino Guide and Blackjack for Blood, and several new prizes. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• February 18, 2017 10:36 NY and PA Eye Online: Recent developments indicate that New York and Pennsylvania are the top candidates to be the next states to legalize some form or online gambling. New York has a bill on the table that would allow poker only, while Pennsylvania is pursuing broader legalization that includes casino games. By comparison, whereas New Jersey's total online poker revenue in 2016 was $27 million, New York's estimated first-year market is $120 million. The Pennsylvania market for all games is estimated at $300 million, compared to about $200 million in New Jersey.
• February 17, 2017 16:42 Paid Parking Rescinded in Florida: Perhaps paid parking isn't inevitable after all. The Seminole Hard Rock in Tampa, Florida, which instituted paid parking last year, has reversed its policy. Similar to Las Vegas, customers of the Tampa HR were vocal in their displeasure, and enough so to cause the tribe to once again make parking free.
• February 17, 2017 11:36 Trump Bump: Donald Trump's name has been taken off the Boardwalk entrance to the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. It's not a protest move; Trump had an agreement with owner Carl Icahn that his name would be removed from the property if certain standards weren't maintained and the casino is currently closed. The Trump name still appears in other areas of the building, most likely to be removed soon.
• February 17, 2017 08:30 CET Raising Resort Fees: Here's a little more to hate. Caesars Entertainment is raising resort fees by $1 to $3 at all of its hotels as of March 1. The new fees will be $30 at Bally's, Flamingo, Harrah's, The LINQ, and Rio, and $35 at Caesars Palaces, Cromwell, Nobu, Paris, and Planet Hollywood.
• February 16, 2017 17:51 Floyd Huge Fave Over Conor: Floyd Mayweather has opened as a -2500 favorite (25-1) over Conor McGregor if a boxing match between the two can be set. The odds were posted by the Westgate Superbook and require that the fight take place by May 31, 2018. Westgate didn't put up a line on the fight ever taking place, the odds on which would probably be significantly longer.
• February 16, 2017 17:35 Tahoe Gets an Infusion: According to the National Weather Service, winter storms have accounted for more than 40 billion gallons of water being added to Lake Tahoe since the beginning of the year. This followed a two-day span in December when 8.9 billion gallons were added in just two days. The conditions have alleviated drought concerns, as the water level rose to 6,222.97 feet, reaching the lake's natural rim at 6,223 feet.
• February 16, 2017 10:19 Taco (Wedding) Bell: The new Taco Bell Cantina on the Strip is adding weddings to its menu. Beginning this summer, the restaurant will offer a $600 Taco Bell-themed wedding package that come with a Taco 12-pack and a Cinnabon Delights wedding cake for the reception. It doesn't get much more romantic than that.
• February 16, 2017 10:14 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
- David Cassidy performs Downtown at the Golden Nugget (2/17)
- George Strait returns to the T-Mobile Arena (2/17-18)
- Diana Ross continues her mini-residency at The Venetian (2/17-18), while Cher performs 'Classic Cher' at The Park at Monte Carlo (2/19)
- Comedian Louie Anderson is center stage at Red Rock Resort (2/17)
- The Palms welcomes Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons to The Pearl (2/18)
- South Point brings you Earl Turner (2/17-19)
- And Live & Let Die - A Tribute to Paul McCartney is at the M Resort (2/18)
• February 15, 2017 13:16 Australians World's Biggest Gamblers: According to a report issued by The Economist, Australians remain the world's biggest gamblers, losing a whopping $990 per resident. The number checks in well ahead of second-place Singapore at $710. The Australian total was also more than $200 higher than reported by a similar study in 2016. The biggest aggregate loss, however, was by U.S. citizens, which tallied $116.9 billion. Analysts say it hammers home how much potential remains for more gambling legalization in the U.S.
• February 15, 2017 12:49 Bellagio Gets a Starbucks: What do you add to the casino that has everything? A Starbucks, of course. The Bellagio didn't quite have everything, but with the opening of a new Starbucks, maybe it does now. Hours are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
• February 15, 2017 10:50 Dancer on Dream Card: This week's Bob Dancer article discusses the video poker variation Dream Card as part of an explanation about how to use the Dancer-Daily Video Poker Strategy Cards. The blog is supported by some very interesting comments from readers. Check it out at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• February 14, 2017 19:11 Vegas Hoopstresses Ranked: While Las Vegas gets lots of prep attention for its high ranking high school football (Gorman) and basketball (Findley Prep) teams, the girls are doing their share. Perennial power Centennial is ranked #4 in the nation in girl's basketball by USA Today, with a record of 26-2.
• February 14, 2017 11:38 First Pool Openings Announced: The Hakkasan Group has announced its pool openings, the first of the 2017 season. March 10 will be opening weekend for Wet Republic and MGM Grand, Liquid Pool Lounge at Aria, and Bare Pool Lounge at the Mirage. Expect the others to be close behind.
• February 14, 2017 10:43 Flowers Today!: Are you stuck? If you've tried getting Valentine's Day flowers delivered today, you were probably declined, but we found one that's still delivering -- JustFlowers.com. We did it to verify. Read about it along with one more same-day out at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• February 14, 2017 09:16 Two Killed in SpeedVegas Crash: A driving instructor and customer were killed when a Lamborghini Aventador hit a wall at the SpeedVegas driving facility on Sunday. The car crashed while the customer was driving. SpeedVegas has been closed since, pending an investigation.
• February 13, 2017 18:06 We Goofed: In the February Las Vegas Advisor we wrote "A lot has changed at the Trop since it was sold to Penn National and not much for the better, but the [$200 rebate-on-loss for new club members] is one good deal that’s been left alone." Oops. Not so. Although we were told by a players club employee that it was, that info was incorrect and the deal is gone. Our apologies. The only major rebate deals currently running are at Cannery and Eastside Cannery, both of which offer $200 rebates for new members.
• February 13, 2017 14:35 Moreno to the Nugget: Frankie Moreno, formerly a heralded headliner at the Stratosphere, has signed on for a six-week engagement at the Golden Nugget. Moreno will perform in The Showroom on Thursdays, March 2 through April 13 (excluding March 30).
• February 13, 2017 08:23 More Lucky Dragon News: After opening without craps, we've heard that a table will soon be added to the games mix at Lucky Dragon. Additionally, it looks like the new noodle bar that we wrote about previously in this space will be in addition to, not replacing, the existing Bao Now noodle bar. There's currently an easy instacomp available at Bao Now, details about which are provided at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• February 12, 2017 15:36 Another Sports Book Robbery: A second sports book robbery in less than a month took place at South Point last Sunday following the Super Bowl. An armed man was able to get out of the sports book with $58,000, but he didn't get much farther. A silent alarm summoned security and the suspect was apprehended in valet. It's not known whether or not this robbery was connected to last month's at Silverton.
• February 12, 2017 10:54 CGT on the Block?: It's only rumor, but there's a buzz that a sale is pending for CG Technologies, formerly Cantor Gaming. It makes sense given CGT's stormy history in recent years, starting with the arrest of its sports book director for illegal betting in 2012. The likely buyer appears to be Ireland's Paddy Power, which has been angling for a U.S. entry.
• February 12, 2017 10:41 HR Oyster Bar: The new Oyster Bar is open at the Hard Rock. Run by the former owner/chef of downtown's recently closed Glutton, it's located in the All-Suite Tower and open daily from 11 a.m.
• February 11, 2017 18:53 UFC Holm/de Randamie: Germaine de Randamie is a -130 favorite over Holly Holm in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Derek Brunson is -135 over Anderson Silva.
• February 11, 2017 15:02 Theater Planned for North Las Vegas: Movie-theater developer Maya Cinemas North America has purchased a 32-acre parcel in North Las Vegas with plans to build a 70,000-square-foot theater complex that could also include restaurants and retail. The location across the street from the Silver Nugget is near a potential retail-and-housing project that could combine with the theater to create a central "downtown" area in North Las Vegas.
• February 11, 2017 11:39 Papaya King Rollback: Get in on rollback specials today and tomorrow at Papaya King on Harmon across from the Hard Rock. Celebrating the opening of the original New York City shop in 1932, dogs and beers are both buy-two-get-one-free and 32-ounce tropical drinks are 32¢ until 9 p.m.
• February 11, 2017 10:57 Chick-fil-A Confirmed: There's more information available concerning the Chick-fil-A sighting across from Palace Station that we reported last week. Las Vegas' third Chick-fil-A will be located at 2477 S. Rancho Dr. and is scheduled to open March 30.
• February 10, 2017 17:31 Brand Steakhouse Closing: MGM Resorts International has announced that Monte Carlo Brand Steakhouse will close on May 11. It's the latest change at the resort as it moves toward its conversion to Park MGM.
• February 10, 2017 14:41 Changes at Lucky Dragon: After just two months, changes and modifications are underway at the Lucky Dragon. Scratch off another night market, as Dragon's Alley is closed and the large dining area inside will become the new location of the excellent Pearl Ocean restaurant. There will also be a new Dragon's Alley Noodle Bar, which will likely take the place of Bao Now. The former Pearl Ocean space on the second floor will be converted into an expanded VIP gambling area. We've also heard that steps are being taken to deal with the glare on the video poker machines at the center bar, and those former fastest-in-the-west elevator doors have been slowed down to cruising speed.
• February 10, 2017 09:30 NJ Online Gambling Decline Predicted: After an impressive 32% increase in online gambling revenue in 2016, analysts are predicting the growth rate for New Jersey's online component may be cut by up to 50% this year. The potential decline is pegged to waning interest in poker. Participation in casino games is expected to continue to increase.
• February 9, 2017 15:11 New Poll Up -- Buffet Etiquette: Do you cut lines or wait your turn? Jump from serving island to serving island? Sneak food out? This is a fun survey about how you handle the challenges of eating at buffets and dealing with the crowds. Let us know your style by voting in the new Reader Poll that's live now.
• February 9, 2017 14:44 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
- Diana Ross is center stage at the Venetian (2/10-11)
- Cher entertains at Park Theater at Monte Carlo (2/10-11)
- Chris Lane is in the spotlight at Sunset Station (2/10)
- Illusionist Rick Thomas is at the South Point (2/10-12)
- Comedy-wise, you have Lisa Lampanelli performing at Treasure Island (2/10) while Ron White is in the spotlight at the Mirage (2/10-11)
- And if you're looking for something a little different, there's the Valewine's Day Wine Walk at Container Park (2/11) or you might prefer the Las Vegas Craft Show at the Silverton (2/12)
• February 9, 2017 13:25 Rivers Casino Opens in New York: The $330 million Rivers Casino opened yesterday in Schenectady. It's the third of four private casinos licensed for upstate New York. While the first three all opened within the last few months, the fourth, Montreign Resort Casino in the Catskills, isn't scheduled to open until March 2018.
• February 9, 2017 08:33 Frank B Dissects the No-OT Bet: One of the interesting stories connected with this year's Super Bowl was that it produced the first overtime in the game's history, and the first loss for the no-OT proposition bet. Find out how professional bettors view long-odds wagers such as this in Frank B's post, "Anatomy of a Bridgejumper," at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• February 8, 2017 15:15 Poker Room Closing: Another live poker room bites the dust with the closing of the room at Monte Carlo on April 25. There's been no word on what will replace it.
• February 8, 2017 10:19 Big Picture: The Plaza has covered its entire north-facing tower wall with a giant mural created by Shepard Fairey, best known for his poster of Barack Obama titled "Hope" and Obey clothing-line designs. The Plaza mural, which includes images of the four card suits, will be officially unveiled this Saturday. A second mural by English artist D*Face is also slated to be presented in an undisclosed spot.
• February 8, 2017 09:36 A Look Inside the Blackjack Ball: Bob Dancer's regular weekly article at GamblingWithAnEdge.com describes this year's Blackjack Ball. It's a good look at this annual event that brings together many of the best and most successful blackjack players in the world.
• February 7, 2017 18:43 Du-Par's Out at GG: We've just learned that Du-Par's at the Golden Gate has ceased operations as of this afternoon. That means our cool MRB offer for free pancakes bites the dust, but also puts in question where you can now get the great GG shrimp cocktail, which has been served from DP's for the last few years. We'll let you know when we do.
• February 7, 2017 12:15 Trip Reports -- Poll Ends Tonight: Our current hot-topic Reader Poll is on the subject of trip reports. Do you read them? Write them? Want to see more of them at LVA? We're contemplating a dedicated trip reports section on our soon-to-debut redesigned website, so this input is important to us. The poll closes at midnight, so there's still time to get your vote in.
• February 7, 2017 08:13 Super Bowl Betting Sets Record: This year's Super Bowl handle was a record $138.5 million, a 4.5% increase over last year's prior record. The state's 196 legal sports books reported a $10.9 million profit, which is a 7.9% hold. The public's increasing fondness of betting on sports and the advent of mobile apps continue to push the numbers up; the largest reported bet was $1.1 million on the Falcons +3 made on the CG Technology app.
• February 6, 2017 16:46 Big Win at Cosmo: A man from Pennsylvania who was in town for the Super Bowl hit big today at the Cosmopolitan. After playing the same Wheel of Fortune machine off and on over the weekend, he hit for a jackpot for $1.1 million.
• February 6, 2017 13:49 Movie Mondays: Monday is movie day at the Palms. Earn 300 points ($100 coin-in) and get a free Brenden Theater movie ticket. You have to earn the points on Monday, but the ticket is valid anytime; excludes 3D films, Sony, IMAX, & special engagements.
• February 6, 2017 10:35 Books Report Winning Super Bowl: Yesterday's wild Super Bowl finish had different results for the books. The first ever overtime that paid 7-1 in most places cut into some profits, and William Hill reported losses on in-game wagering with many bettors piling on the Patriots at high odds when they were down 28-3, but most books reported having a winning day.
• February 5, 2017 15:29 Super Bowl Line: The New England Patriots are -3 favorites over the Atlanta Falcons in tonight's Super Bowl. The total is 57.
• February 5, 2017 13:14 Sweat the Anthem: Get your smartphones ready to time the singing of the Super Bowl's National Anthem. The over/under number on how long it will take Luke Bryan to sing it is 2:10, with under a -130 favorite.
• February 5, 2017 10:50 Jean Scott Posts February Promos: Jean Scott provides information on some of the better February deals in her latest post at FrugalVegas.com. This month's focus is the Palms and Boyd casinos.
• February 5, 2017 10:38 Super Bowl Viewing: The parties will be on all over town today. If you don't have plans, check out a good list at GamblingWithAnEdge.com. And watch this space the rest of the day for the line on the length of the National Anthem and the closing line on the game near kick-off.
• February 4, 2017 17:21 UFC Bermudez/Jung: Dennis Bermudez is a -200 favorite over Chan Sung Jung in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Alexa Grasso is -340 over Felice Herrig.
• February 4, 2017 11:20 Grosjean Post Up at GWAE: In a new blog post, James Grosjean gets into a prickly social issue, discussing a bias against women that extends to the pro gambling ranks. Check out his position (and the comments), along with a post from Richard Munchkin about cheating slot machines at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• February 4, 2017 11:03 Big Numbers Bet on Big Game: The American Gaming Association predicts that $4.7 billion will be wagered on the Super Bowl, and of that, 97% of that will be bet illegally. While the numbers are informative relative to the magnitude of the game, the primary reason for the AGA's release of information is to shine a light on how much is being bet and untaxed in spite of existing prohibitions in its push for national legalization of sports betting.
• February 4, 2017 10:57 Chick-fil-A Spotting: We've spotted what might be Las Vegas' next Chick-fil-A location. The C-f-A sign is on a building that looks close to opening on the northeast corner of Sahara and Rancho, across the street from Palace Station.
• February 4, 2017 09:40 Del Lago Opens in New York: The $440 million del Lago Casino opened near Syracuse on Wednesday. It's the second of four casinos that were approved for the upstate region. The third, Rivers Casino, opens on Feb. 8.
• February 3, 2017 17:31 VSiN Unveils Studio: The new VSiN sports and sports-gambling station unveiled its studio today at the South Point. The network will officially launch on Feb. 27, but will broadcast a one-off Super Bowl show hosted by Brent Musburger at 3 p.m. EST this Sunday on SiriusXM Rush (channel 93).
• February 3, 2017 16:20 Sin City 4 Plays Henderson Tonight: The band Sin City 4 plays a pre-Super Bowl gig tonight at Hammer's Bar & Grill, located at 771 E. Horizon Dr. in Henderson. The band plays a good mix of rock, funk, soul, R&B, country and alternative, but we like them because bass player Alf Musketa is a well-respected sports-betting handicapper. Show starts at 8 p.m.
• February 3, 2017 11:43 First Letter 'T' Scores at Tom's Urban: If your first name begins with "T," head over to Tom’s Urban at NY-NY to get 50% off your meal through the end of February. The deal is only for those with T-names and valid ID (no bonus if it's actually "Tom"), not your entire party.
• February 3, 2017 08:27 AC and Frank B Talk Super Bowl Betting: The latest edition of the Gambling With an Edge podcast focuses on the Super Bowl, with guests Anthony Curtis and Frank B. Check it out for the latest information on the betting lines, party opportunities, and more.
• February 2, 2017 15:27 Wynn Sports Book Getting Makeover: According to John Katsilometes of the LV Review-Journal, the race and sports book at the Wynn is getting a makeover. The book is closing in April and a temporary book will operate out of Encore. The upgraded Wynn book will reopen in August.
• February 2, 2017 10:10 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights: If football's not your thing, there are plenty of other diversions for your entertainment enjoyment. Here's a quick round up of events:
- Downtown brings you First Friday, with the theme "From the heART" (2/3)
- Santana continues his residency at Mandalay Bay's House of Blues (2/1-4)
- Willie Nelson & Family will perform "Vegas On My Mind" at The Venetian (2/3-4)
- Comedy-wise, you have Daniel Tosh at the Mirage (2/3-4); Jon Lovitz & Dana Carvey Reunited at SLS (2/3); and Sinbad is in the spotlight at the Orleans (2/3-4)
- Ariana Grande is center stage at the MGM Garden Arena (2/4)
- And the Orleans welcomes Frankie Moreno (2/4)
• February 1, 2017 16:58 Bob Dancer and More than 400 Prop Bets at GWAE: Bob Dancer's regular weekly article at GamblingWithAnEdge.com discusses the interesting case of a Stanford math professor who won an excessive number of lotteries. Was she talented or just lucky? And if you're interested in the Super Bowl prop bets, the entire list from the Westgate SuperBook is posted.
• February 1, 2017 12:35 Graveyard Buffet at Palms: The first all-night buffet in years has just opened at the Palms. The Bistro's graveyard buffet runs from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily and is $10.99, or $8.99 if you show a players card.
• February 1, 2017 10:34 Poker Computers Thrash Humans: It's happened. On two occasions in January, computers defeated expert-level human players in extended no-limit hold 'em poker matches. The first was a program called DeepStack, that beat a group of 11 lesser-known players. More attention is being paid, though, to the Carnegie Mellon poker program Libratus, that played a 20-day match against four top-rated pros. Libratus didn't just win, it dominated the human players, finishing up $1.8 million.