Compiled by LVA Research
• January 19, 2017 10:44 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
- Downtown, the Smith Center welcomes Motown The Musical (1/17-22)
- Cirque du Soleil's touring show, Toruk—The First Flight, takes center stage at the T-Mobile Arena (1/18-22)
- Keith Sweat performs at the Flamingo (1/17-21)
- Hard Rock hosts the AVN Awards Show inside The Joint (1/21)
- Chevelle rocks out at Mandalay Bay's House of Blues (1/22)
- And comedian, Jay Mohr does stand up at the South Point (1/20-21)
For more details about these and other upcoming events and full listings of all the production shows Las Vegas currently plays home to check out our Shows & Nightlife section.
• January 19, 2017 09:59 New Betting App, Maybe: The Golden Nugget has announced that its mobile sports betting app is now available. That's good news, given that GN is an independent book with lines that don't always conform to what's available in the market. But we've tried, and so far the app isn't loading. We were told last night that there are still some glitches. We'll let you know when it really is ready.
• January 18, 2017 17:40 Curtis and Dancer Talk Deals: The LV Sun ran an article listing ways to save money in several areas of a Las Vegas vacation. It's mostly advice that you get here on a daily basis, which figures, since two of three featured experts were Anthony Curtis and Bob Dancer. It's a good synopsis of strategies and worth a read.
• January 18, 2017 13:35 MGM Cotai Delayed for Third Time: MGM Resorts International has announced that it will delay the opening of its $3.1 billion MGM COTAI resort for a third time. The new timeframe moves from Q2 to the second half of this year. "Complexity of the project design" was cited as the reason for the delay.
• January 18, 2017 12:34 Faded Sports Bet Tickets: Today's Question of the Day, concerning what to do about a futures sports-bet ticket (for the Super Bowl) that's completely illegible, has received some excellent feedback. Find out how you can use lost-ticket claim forms, copiers, scanners, and the casino players club to retrieve the faded info by clicking here.
• January 18, 2017 08:58 Redneck Riviera Opens Today: Redneck Riviera, the country-music bar created by John Rich of the band Big & Rich, opens today in the Grand Bazaar Shops at Bally's. It's the second location of the bar, following the original in Nashville, and features some interesting decor, including bathrooms with sinks made from tires and urinals from beer kegs.
• January 17, 2017 16:09 The Best Video Poker Player: Who's the best video poker player in the world? There's no way to tell for sure, but Bob Dancer is certainly in the running, and in his latest post he lays out 18 skills/attributes that he believes the best players possess (or at least they possess most of them to some degree). Check them out and see where you stand. Also, Bill Ordine discusses FanDuel's announcement that it will is adding golf to its DFS offerings. Both posts can be read at our advantage-gambling blog, GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• January 17, 2017 16:08 In-N-Out is In at the LINQ: The first In-N-Out Burger on the Strip has opened in the LINQ Promenade. Hours are 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sun.-Thurs. and till 1:30 on the weekends.
• January 17, 2017 08:22 Big Total: The total on this weekend's NFC Championship game between the Atlanta Falcons and Green Bay Packers has touched 61.5, making it the highest playoff total in NFL history. And even that may not be high enough. The playoff games continue to go over the number and the favorites are also winning, a combination that favors the betting public. The sports books are reporting big losses, with William Hill declaring that last Sunday was "the biggest day ever" for its customers.
• January 16, 2017 17:50 Bellagio Chinese New Year Display: Bellagio's Conservatory & Botanical Gardens is celebrating the Year of the Rooster, with a 16-foot moon gate, silk-lantern chandeliers, and 20,000 flowers. There's also a model of the Bellagio by MGM Shanghai resort, due to open in 2017. The display is free to view 24/7 and runs through March 4.
• January 16, 2017 15:52 Price Hike on Bargain Dog: The price of the awesome hot dogs served from a cart in the Gold Coast sports book has gone up 50¢. The dogs are now $2 and chili dogs are $3. It's the first price increase in almost five years for what has been one of Las Vegas' best deals. You can still add kraut, onions, and relish at no extra charge.
• January 16, 2017 15:08 Taxi Use Down for Year: Taxi ridership in Southern Nevada declined 16% and revenue was down 13% in 2016, due in most part to loss of business to Uber and Lyft. The Taxicab Authority says that it won't raise fares or other charges while it considers other moves to regain its market share.
• January 16, 2017 07:45 MLK Day Events: The Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade takes place today downtown on Fourth St., beginning at 10 a.m. South Point is awarding 5X points on slots and 2X on video poker. El Cortez is giving away slices of Marie Callender's apple pie to players from noon to 6 p.m.
• January 15, 2017 18:04 UFC Penn/Rodriguez: Yair Rodriquez is a -415 favorite over B.J. Penn in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Joe Lauzon is -120 over Marcin Held.
• January 15, 2017 17:00 AFC Divisional Playoffs Chiefs/Steelers: In today's AFC playoff, the Kansas City Chiefs are -2.5 favorites over the Pittsburgh Steelers. The total is 45.
• January 15, 2017 13:26 NFC Divisional Playoffs Cowboys/Packers: In today's NFC playoff, the Dallas Cowboys s are -5 favorites over the Green Bay Packers. The total is 52.5.
• January 15, 2017 13:05 Patriots Line Closed 17: After we posted the line for the Patriots/Texans game yesterday, the number moved up and closed Patriots -17. It was the third largest spread ever in a postseason game, behind only the Colts -18 over the Jets in Super Bowl III and the 49ers -19.5 over the Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX. The Patriots scored late and won by 18 to cover.
• January 15, 2017 09:57 Sunday Funday 36 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Sunday 36" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Along with $100 for first, prizes include LVA membership with the 2017 Member Rewards Book, an autographed copy of The Essentials of Casino Game Design, the new Eating Las Vegas 2017, and several new prizes. Prizes will again be awarded to the first 14 finishers. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 12168). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• January 15, 2017 09:16 New 'Vegas Movie' Panned: A newly released movie, Sleepless, starring Jamie Foxx, is set in Las Vegas, but according to film reviewer Christopher Lawrence, takes place in a fictional casino called the Luxus and includes only a few exterior scenes shot here. Lawrence says that what's depicted is "a nearly unrecognizable city, recreated in Atlanta, where there are never any cars on the streets, people on the sidewalks, or anyone anywhere who isn't directly involved in the action of a scene." This is a funny review worth reading if you get a kick out of how Las Vegas is so often misrepresented.
• January 14, 2017 16:54 AFC Divisional Playoffs Patriots/Texans: In today's AFC playoff, the New England Patriots s are -16 favorites over the Houston Texans. The total is 44. The pointspread on this game touched 17, which would have been the third highest spread for a playoff game on record if had closed there.
• January 14, 2017 13:24 NFC Divisional Playoffs Seahawks/Falcons: In today's NFC playoff, the Atlanta Falcons s are -6.5 favorites over the Seattle Seahawks. The total is 51.
• January 14, 2017 10:36 Free Online Poker Tournament Tomorrow: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 36th Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100, and prizes will be awarded to the top 14 places. Prizes include LVA membership with the 2017 Member Rewards Book, an autographed copy of The Essentials of Casino Game Design, the new Eating Las Vegas 2017, and several new prizes. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• January 14, 2017 10:09 Rumor Sold: Rumor, the boutique hotel on Harmon Ave. across from the Hard Rock, has reportedly been sold. It's currently owned by the Siegel Group. No details have been released about the buyer or its plans for the property.
• January 13, 2017 18:02 Fish is Fried: First it was railroad cars, now it's giant fish. Another piece of Las Vegas history is gone with the demolition of the red and green neon fish that stood for decades at Davy's Locker bar on E. Desert Inn. New owners are changing the theme and plan to reopen as Bert's Bar in February. Doesn't quite have the same flair.
• January 13, 2017 11:51 BOGO for BS&T: Blood, Sweat & Tears plays tonight as part of the "52 Fridays" concert series at the Golden Nugget. Ticket prices are reasonable, but an add in the "Neon" section of the LV Review-Journal says you can get 2-for-1 tickets by mentioning code LVRJ (as long as there's availability). The concert starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $39 for standing room.
• January 13, 2017 07:53 NJ Sports Betting Considered Today: New Jersey's bid to legalize sports betting is among 100 cases being considered by the U.S. Supreme Court today for placement on its 2017 docket. It's considered a long shot that the court will accept the case, and while that would put an end to the effort initiated in 2014 by Governor Chris Christie, there are other avenues of legalization available to the state.
• January 12, 2017 16:47 Action at Resorts World: It looks like preparations for construction on Resorts World Las Vegas are underway. A platform has been erected to inspect scaffolding and work already done on the Echelon project. It's expected that serious work will begin in March.
• January 12, 2017 10:19 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights: Here are this weekend's entertainment highlights:
- Disney On Ice presents "Worlds of Enchantment" at UNLV - Thomas and Mack (1/12-15)
- The Smith Center welcomes The Lon Bronson Band to the Cabaret Jazz Theater (1/13/)
- Comedian Daniel Tosh does stand up at the Mirage (1/13-14)
- The Venetian will host Styx & Don Felder: "Renegades In The Fast Lane Rocks" (1/13-14)
- Van Morrison is center stage at The Colosseum inside Caesars Palace (1/13-14)
- And Falling In Reverse performs "The End Is Here" Tour at Mandalay Bay, House of Blues (1/15)
For more details about these and other upcoming events and full listings of all the production shows Las Vegas currently plays home to check out our Shows & Nightlife section.
• January 12, 2017 09:24 New Poll Up -- How Do You Like to Learn?: How do you like to get your gambling information? Books? Strategy cards? Software? Let us know the mode that you like best by voting in the new Reader Poll that's live now.
• January 11, 2017 19:01 Downtown Loses Vintage Train Cars: The two vintage train cars located downtown between Main Street Station and the Plaza have been removed. The cars were acquired by Derek and Greg Stevens from Boyd Gaming as part of a recent land deal, and they've reportedly been sold to a recycling company in the northern Nevada city of Ely. You can read a detailed account of the history and sale of the train cars at VitalVegas.com.
• January 11, 2017 15:42 What's a Momofuku? It's the latest big-name restaurant to open on the Strip. David Chang's Momofuku out of New York City has opened on the second floor of the Cosmopolitan, next to Milk Bar. We're not sure about the cuisine -- it sounds like some sort of wild Asian fusion -- but everyone raves.
• January 11, 2017 15:10 What is Greed?: Taking a little diversion from straight gambling talk, Bob Dancer discusses greed in his weekly blog post. Of course, there's a casino context, and paid parking even gets into the conversation. Check it out at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• January 11, 2017 09:54 Las Vegas Breaks Visitor Record: A preliminary count of 42.9 million Las Vegas visitors in 2016 is a new annual record, up 1.4% from last year's 42.3 million. Projections for 2017 predict another increase, with visitation in the area of 43.2 million.
• January 10, 2017 17:32 Looking Forward -- Poll Ends Tonight: Our current hot-topic Reader Poll is on the subject of what you're most looking forward to in 2017. Is it the Raiders in Vegas? Legal weed? The rescinding of paid parking? The poll closes at midnight, so there's still time to get your vote in.
• January 10, 2017 15:05 Jean Scott Decries Good-Player Exclusions: If you're tired of the casinos wanting it all their way, you'll want to read Jean Scott's take on it in her latest post at FrugalVegas.com. Jean's always acknowledged the industry's right to protect their games, but offering promotions that they don't let you play if you play them to well is where she draws the line. Jean's new book, The Frugal Gambler Casino Guide, is just days from going to the printer and will be available in February.
• January 10, 2017 13:13 More PT's on the Way: Golden Entertainment, operators of the PTs, Sean Patrick's, Sierra Gold, and SG Bar brands, says it will add seven new taverns in the Las Vegas area this year. Most will be on the west side and will bring the total number of Golden bars to 60.
• January 9, 2017 16:50 College Football National Championship Line: In the college-football National Championship, Alabama is a -6.5 favorite over Clemson. The total is 51..
• January 9, 2017 13:40 Aureole Reopens With New Concept: Aureole at Mandalay Bay has reopened after a major renovation. In addition to the new room, the focus has been moved toward small plates, described as a "tasting table experience." What hasn't changed is the restaurant's excellent wine selection, with bottles retrieved by the famous (and flying) "wine angels."
• January 9, 2017 08:17 Pin Up Closing: Add Pin Up at Stratosphere to the list of major shows closing on the Strip. John Katsilometes reports in the LV Review-Journal that the show that's played since 2013 will close on March 4.
• January 8, 2017 17:11 DFS Growth Plummets: With $3.26 billion from player buy-ins, revenue for the daily fantasy sports industry grew at about 4% in 2016. Sounds good, except that growth was 222% in 2015. FanDuel sustained an estimated loss of $44 million and DraftKings lost an estimated $61 million. The two DFS market leaders are awaiting approval of a merger that will lead to drastically reduced competitive spending.
• January 8, 2017 13:21 NFC Wild Card Giants/Packers Line: In the second NFC Wild Card Playoff game, the Green Bay Packers are -4.5 favorites over the New York Giants. The total is 46.5.
• January 8, 2017 10:27 Discount in the R-J: Today's LV Review-Journal contains a coupon for a 27% discount at any of the three Lindo Michoacan Mexican restaurants in town. Why 27%? The original on E. Desert Inn is celebrating its 27th anniversary.
• January 8, 2017 09:47 AFC Wild Card Steelers/Dolphins Line: In the second AFC Wild Card Playoff game, the Pittsburgh Steelers are -11 favorites over the Miami Dolphins. The total is 47.5.
• January 7, 2017 16:41 NFC Wild Card Lions/Seahawks Line: In the first NFC Wild Card Playoff game, the Seattle Seahawks are -9 favorites over the Detroit Lions. The total is 45.5.
• January 7, 2017 16:36 New Bar at El Cortez: The El Cortez has completed a remodeling of the main casino bar, complete with a new name: IKE’S. I-K-E are the initials of Irving Kenneth Epstein, the owner of the El Cortez.
• January 7, 2017 13:33 AFC Wild Card Texans/Raiders Line: In the first AFC Wild Card Playoff game, the Houston Texans are -4 favorites over the Oakland Raiders. The total is 37.5.
• January 7, 2017 10:11 New Loss Rebate at Can and ECan: One week after the Plaza discontinued its "$500 on Us" loss-rebate program, Cannery and Eastside Cannery have initiated programs with $200 loss rebates for new club members. We don't have details on the redemption procedure, but the last time these casinos ran rebates in 2012, there were restrictive rules and exclusions, but if you qualified, you could do it at both properties. The ad running now mentions only that you need a valid email.
• January 7, 2017 10:04 Gridiron Glory Postseason: If you've qualified for postseason play in Station Casinos' Gridiron Glory contest, don't forget to get your picks in before the start of today's NFL Playoff games. Most of the value in this contest is in this session, as the field will have been greatly narrowed and there's more prize money at stake. If you've submitted picks all 17 weeks or scored four touchdowns, you've qualified.
Note that picks in this part of the contest include prop bets on things like number of fumbles or field goals, and while you can see it on the screen, the designations aren't specified on your ticket. If you want to follow your results, you'll need to write down the designations or take a photo of the screen with your phone.
• January 6, 2017 17:56 Between the Lines Out at Palazzo: Between the Lines has closed at Palazzo. The show that starred Clint Holmes opened in July and, according to John Katsilometes of the LV Review-Journal is one of between 25 and 30 shows to have closed since the beginning of 2016.
• January 6, 2017 15:24 I-15 Open Again: According to reports, both lanes of I-15 are open again. The outcome of the manhunt near Baker that caused the closure has not been divulged.
• January 6, 2017 10:56 I-15 Closed at Baker: If you're preparing to travel between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, you might want to hold off. Police have closed I-15 in both directions around Baker as part of a search for suspects who fired at a patrol car. Check traffic-advisory sources before you travel and we'll update the situation as we get information.
• January 6, 2017 10:13 Milk Bar Opens at Cosmo: The eclectic Milk Bar has opened at the Cosmopolitan. The famous bakery from New York City is known for creative desserts, some alcohol-infused. It's described as a sister restaurant to David Change's Momofuku, which is preparing to open next door.
• January 5, 2017 15:52 Thursday Deal at Silverton: Silverton is running a good instacomp deal on Thursdays in January. Earn 250 club points ($250 coin-in) and get a $10 dining credit, or earn 1,000 points for a $50 credit. The latter is the better deal, requiring only 20 points-per-dollar played vs. 25 points-per to get the $10 comp. This is a positive-expectation play for competent video poker players and a good add-on comp for everyone else..
• January 5, 2017 15:37 Serendipity 3 Closed: Serendipity 3 has closed at Caesars Palace. No replacement has been named, but Eater Las Vegas reports that Caesars has trademarked the name Stripside Cafe & Bar and that yet another Gordon Ramsay restaurant may be in the works.
• January 5, 2017 15:30 Metro Diner Planned: Metro Diner out of Florida is coming to Las Vegas. The chain with several locations, all east of the Mississippi, plans to open its first Las Vegas restaurant on W. Tropicana in March.
• January 5, 2017 13:58 Las Vegas This Weekend: It's a quiet one, with everyone recovering from New Year's still, evidently, but here are this weekend's highlights:
- Downtown brings you First Friday, with the theme of "Step Into The Future" (1/6)
- Comedians Jon Lovitz & Dana Carvey are ready to make you laugh inside The Foundry at SLS (1/6-7)
- The Venetian hosts Styx & Don Felder: Renegades In The Fast Lane Rocks (1/6-7)
- Katt Williams is center stage at Monte Carlo's Park Theater (1/7)
- And The Spazmatics and Karma will perform at The House of Blues at Mandalay Bay
• January 5, 2017 11:19 CES Begins Today: The giant Consumer Electronics Show (CES) opens today and runs through Sunday. With more than 170,000 expected to attend, the show creates traffic snarls around the Convention Center and the Sands Expo, so avoid those areas when possible.
• January 4, 2017 14:12 Shifty's Moving: Shifty's Crows Nest, the long-time dive bar at Sahara and Valley View has closed. We're told it's moving to the location of the former Fast Break Lounge on S. Decatur, though an opening date wasn't given.
• January 4, 2017 08:19 Barista Wins SuperContest: Whereas past years have seen sports-betting professionals and quants winning the the Westgate SuperContest, this one was one for the amateurs. Damon Graham, a Starbucks barista from Las Vegas, went 5-0 on the final weekend to claim the win and a record $895,481 first prize. Second place went to a farmer from Illinois, who said he formulated his picks while listening to sports radio while harvesting his crops.
• January 4, 2017 04:53 Gambling Celebrity: In his weekly article at GamblingWithAnEdge.com, Bob Dancer discusses what it's like to achieve celebrity status in any endeavor. The article is titled Another Matter of Perspective, and as the leading video poker expert in the game, he certainly has the perspective to expound on this subject.
• January 3, 2017 16:33 AGT Auditions at Bally's: Open auditions for America's Got Talent will be held Jan. 19 at Bally's. Get details and sign up for an audition here, and good luck!
• January 3, 2017 08:56 Jean Scott Details January Deals: Jean Scott provides information on some of the better January deals in her latest post at FrugalVegas.com. Her primary focus, though, is the Palms post sale to Station Casinos.
• January 3, 2017 05:26 Commissary Closing: The Commissary at Downtown Grand is closing. Located across the street from the main casino, word is the space is being converted to an eSports lounge, which was previously in the casino's high-limit area.
• January 2, 2017 17:12 Sugar Bowl Line: In today's Sugar Bowl, Oklahoma is a -2 favorite over Auburn. The total is 66.5.
• January 2, 2017 16:42 Plaza Pulls New-Member Deal: The Plaza's "$500 on Us" rebate-on-loss offer for new members has been discontinued. You may read about it in the Top Ten of the January LVA, but it's been pulled. On to the next.
• January 2, 2017 13:36 Rose Bowl Line: In today's Rose Bowl, USC is a -7.5 favorite over Penn St. The total is 60.5.
• January 2, 2017 11:31 MRB Update: The first shipment of the 2017 Member Rewards Books has arrived. If you have yours on hold for pick-up, they're available at our office during regular hours, Mon.-Fri. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• January 2, 2017 08:46 Cotton Bowl Line: In today's Cotton Bowl, Wisconsin is a -7.5 favorite over Western Michigan. The total is 53.5.
• January 2, 2017 08:41 Outback Bowl Line: In today's Outback Bowl, Florida is a -2.5 favorite over Iowa. The total is 41.
• January 2, 2017 07:52 MRB Distribution Today: There was a problem in printing the Member Rewards Books, so we're unsure of the delivery status. Due to some good rescue work by our printer, we expect that we'll have MRBs to distribute today, but we don't know exactly when. If you are planning to come to our office today to pick up your MRB, we recommend that you call first to inquire about the status.
• January 1, 2017 20:13 SNF Lions/Packers: The Green Bay Packers are -3.5 favorites over the Detroit Lions in the final Sunday Night Football game of the season. The total is 50.
• January 1, 2017 16:59 IRS Drops Reporting Changes: The IRS has backed off threats to enact more stringent gambling-reporting rules. Most significantly, the W2-G reporting threshold will remain at $1,200; there was discussion about dropping it to $600.
• January 1, 2017 16:58 National Championship Line: The line for the College Football National Championship opened with Alabama a -7 favorite over Clemson. It was there for about 5 minutes, then Clemson money pushed it down to -6. It's since drifted back and is again -7 in most spots. The total opened at 54 and also fell quickly. It's currently 51.5.
• January 1, 2017 09:11 Happy New Year: Las Vegas remains busy with an estimated 330,000 visitors in town this weekend. Thousands packed the Strip and downtown last night for the fireworks display and no major altercations were reported. If you're in town today, the buffets and restaurants will be serving New Year's specials and the sports books will be humming with a full NFL schedule. Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam's Town, and Orleans are awarding 20X points on penny slots, 17X on other reel slots, and 7X on video poker.