Compiled by LVA Research
• September 24, 2016 18:12 UFC Justino/Lansberg: Cristiane Justino is a monster -1025 favorite over Lina Lansberg in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Renan Barao is -520 over Phillipe Nover.
• September 24, 2016 16:32 Palms, Aliante Sales Approved: The Nevada Gaming Commission has approved two big industry deals -- Red Rock Resorts' (Station Casinos) purchase of the Palms and Boyd Gaming's purchase of Aliante. Neither is expected to change names or anything else materially in the near term, though Red Rock says it will invest in a 6- to 18-month "freshening" of the Palms.
• September 24, 2016 13:52 No Gambling Expansion in NJ: It looks as though efforts to expand casino gambling in New Jersey beyond Atlantic City will be discontinued, as the pro-expansion group, discouraged by bad poll numbers, has pulled its media ads. David McKee provides the details in our Stiffs and Georges blog.
• September 24, 2016 09:50 DG Restaurant Reopens: The former S+O at the Downtown Grand has reopened as Freedom Beat. Gone from the menu is the excellent huevos rancheros. Also gone is the off-the-menu $9.99 prime rib special.
• September 23, 2016 21:21 Bad Tip on Boomers: The only way to know is to go, and that's what we did tonight to learn that our report earlier today on the closing of Boomers bar was inaccurate. In fact, the joint had more customers tonight than we've seen there in quite a while. Our apologies to the bar for that mistake, though the information about the relocation of the magic gathering is correct.
• September 23, 2016 14:37 Game Design Book in the House: We've just received the shipment of our newest book, The Essentials of Casino Game Design -- From the Cocktail Napkin to the Casino Floor. If you've already ordered, we'll begin shipping on Monday. If you want to order, it's available at a 25% discount from ShopLVA.com or from Amazon.com.
• September 23, 2016 14:29 Governor Calls Special Session to Approve Stadium: Governor Brian Sandoval says that he will call a special session of the Legislature in early October to consider the package of recommendations made by the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee regarding the financing of an NFL stadium in Las Vegas. The session will be held somewhere between Oct. 7 and 13 and require a 2/3 vote for passage. If approved, the matter would be able to go to the NFL owners for a vote in January.
• September 23, 2016 09:48 Boomers Closed: We've received a report that the west side bar Boomers has closed. Boomers had been the long-time location of the ongoing Wednesday-night magicians meeting, where several magic and gambling types gathered to discuss business. We're told that meet has been moved to Tommy Rocker's on Dean Martin Dr., running Wednesdays from 8 p.m. to midnight.
• September 23, 2016 09:32 Vandalized Trump: Only 2 days after showing up in Downtown Las Vegas the Naked Trump statue has been vandalized. Fox5Vegas has photos showing a Naked Trump covered in graffiti and laying on the ground with only it's feet still attached to the pedestal.
• September 22, 2016 16:49 Happy First day of Autumn: The Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens has unveiled its autumn display, with a harvest tableau that will be featured until Nov. 25. The exhibit is free to all to enjoy and if you aren't in Vegas at the moment (or won't be before Nov. 25) check out the exhibit from the comfort of your armchair via the live-feed link in our Vegas Webcams section.
• September 22, 2016 16:43 TNF: Patriots/Texans: The New England Patriots are -1 favorites over the Houston Texans in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 39.5.
• September 22, 2016 15:43 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights: With the Life is Beautiful Festival taking over Downtown and the iHeart Radio Musical Festival on the Strip, it's going to be a great weekend for Celebrity sightings, so keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready.
- Life is Beautiful brings the very best in music, art, and food to Downtown Las Vegas (9/23-24) while T-Mobile Arena features a star-studded lineup at the 2016 iHeart Radio Musical Festival (9/23-24)
- Daryl Hall & John Oates entertain at the MGM Garden Arena (9/23)
- 40 OZ To Freedom - The Sublime Tribute Band are center stage at Brooklyn Bowl (9/24)
- Red Rock welcomes Cover to Cover - A Tribute To The Eagles (9/24)
- Funnyman Dana Carvey is in the spotlight at the Orleans (9/23)
- And the Henderson Events Plaza hosts the Super Run Classic Car Show (9/22-25)
• September 22, 2016 12:27 Double Dose of Football Updates: Get ready for this weekend's and the Monday-night football games with two excellent posts from LVA contributors. Frank B has put up his big round-up of early season sports book finds, including info on betting deals and contest updates, at GamblingWithAnEdge.com. And Arnold Snyder lays out the MNF party scene in the strip clubs at ToplessVegasOnline.com. Lots of good info in both that you'll find no place else.
• September 22, 2016 08:10 Larry's Villa Closed: Larry's Villa strip club has closed after ongoing problems and infractions at the club resulted in its liquor and gaming licenses being permanently revoked. Notably, it reduces the number of strip clubs with video poker to three: Olympic Garden, Club Platinum, and Play it Again Sam.
• September 21, 2016 15:50 Naked Trump in Vegas: Naked Trump, the controversial statue that depicts a naked Donald Trump, has made its way to Las Vegas. The statue, which was created by a local artist, showed up yesterday, surrounded by velvet ropes, in a downtown parking lot.
• September 21, 2016 14:26 Las Vegas/Beijing Flights Will Begin in December: Ticket sales are reportedly brisk for the recently approved non-stop Las Vegas to Beijing route that will be served by Hainan Airlines of China. Inaugural promotional fares are expected to start at $600 round-trip for the three-times-per-week flights that begin on Dec. 2.
• September 21, 2016 12:21 New Poll Up -- Who Do You Support for President: You've probably read the results of dozens of presidential polls, but not one that reflects the preferences of gamblers and that you can also be a part of. Trump? Clinton? Someone else? Cast your vote for Prez in our new Reader Poll. We're guessing that this poll will provide some interesting data leading into the final weeks of the campaigns.
• September 21, 2016 09:48 New Posts at GWAE: The bloggers have been busy at GamblingWithAnEdge.com. New posts are up from Bill Ordine (DFS), Blair Rodman (poker), Richard Munchkin (millennial gambling), and Bob Dancer (video poker). Check 'em out, plus listen to the latest Gambling With an Edge podcast.
• September 20, 2016 14:56 QoD Reading Habits -- Poll Ends Tonight Our current hot-topic Reader Poll on the subject of how and how often you read our daily "Question of the Day" closes at midnight. We'll be adjusting some of the QoD protocol based on responses, so be sure to vote to make your preferences known.
• September 20, 2016 12:37 Atlantic City's Revel Changing Name: Atlantic City's Revel is changing its name to TEN. The resort remains closed, but plans now call for the reopening as a hotel-casino in the first quarter of 2017.
• September 20, 2016 09:57 Another $1.49 Breakfast: One leaves, another shows up. The new Klondike Sunset is serving a $1.49 breakfast daily from 7 to 11 a.m., with two eggs, choice of bacon or sausage, hash browns, and toast. It's not only the lowest-priced eggs & meat breakfast in town, it's better than many that are priced higher.
• September 19, 2016 15:16 MNF Bears/Eagles: In tonight's Monday Night Football game, the Chicago Bears are -3 favorites over the Washington Redskins. The total is 43. Find out which which Las Vegas bars support your team at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• September 19, 2016 13:51 Missing Promos: We're not sure what the deal is at TopGolf Las Vegas for Thursday Night Football, but it's not what's being advertised. Ads for "Thirsty Night Football" there promoted a city-specific menu tied to the teams participating and drink specials. We checked and neither was offered. With its outdoor orientation and screens everywhere, it's a fun place to watch, but don't go for the specials.
• September 19, 2016 12:45 Frankie Valli Does Appear: Contrary to predictions by Caesars Entertainment, singer Frankie Valli was on hand for the closing performance of Jersey Boys last night at Paris-Las Vegas. Valli was joined by original Four Seasons member Tommy DeVito, whose unpublished memoir was among the source materials on which the wildly successful musical was based. An eyewitness reported to LVA that Valli looked rail-thin, sported an enormous wristwatch, and went on the record as saying that the Las Vegas cast of Jersey Boys was the best he'd seen. Although present, DeVito refrained from making any remarks.
• September 19, 2016 12:34 Eldorado Buys Isle of Capri: Eldorado Resorts, owners of the Eldorado and Silver Legacy in Reno, has purchased Isle of Capri Casinos for $1.7 billion. Eldorado which currently owns seven casinos will raise that total to 20, spread across 10 states, with the completion of this deal. Eldorado's $1.15 billion market capitalization will make it the second largest regional gaming company behind Boyd Gaming.
• September 19, 2016 08:37 NFL Commissioner Cool to Raiders Move: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was cautious, if not somewhat negative, with comments over the weekend regarding the possible relocation of the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. "There's still a lot that has to happen before we would get to that stage," Goodell said. "I think we can do it in Oakland," he continued, "I think there's a solution there ..."
• September 18, 2016 16:45 SNF Packers/Vikings: The Green Bay Packers are -1.5 favorites over the Minnesota Vikings in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 42.5.
If you're a Green Bay fan, Packer bars are Big Dog’s Draft House, Jackson’s Bar & Grill, Rum Runner (Boulder Highway), Rum Runner (Tropicana), Rum Runner (E. Desert Inn), Timbers (E. Lake Mead), and Chilly Palmers. If you're a Minnesota fan, Vikings bars are Blue Ox Central and Blue Ox Tavern. Our complete list of team bars, with an area for comments for each team, is posted at GamblingWithAnEdge.com
• September 18, 2016 16:15 Last Call for Jersey Boys: Tonight marks the final performance for Jersey Boys at Paris. Its eight-year run that began at the Venetian is the longest ever for a Broadway show in Las Vegas, a full two years better than the run of Mamma Mia! at MBay.
• September 18, 2016 14:10 Football Deals at Stations: Station and Fiesta casinos have upped their game this year for sports book viewing. Hot dogs with all the fixin's and beers are $1.50 each. Buy 'em as a combo and and get a choice of pretzels, Doritos, or Cracker Jacks thrown in. Buckets of five beers are $5. Similar good deals with burgers and beers are available at the Wildfires.
• September 18, 2016 10:00 Sunday Funday 32 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 32" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Along with $100 for first, prizes include an autographed hard cover of The Law for Gamblers, the classic blackjack reference book Blackjack Attack, and our new books, Cherry Picker and Mad Dog Coll. Prizes will again be awarded to the first 14 finishers. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 11696). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• September 17, 2016 17:07 UFC Poirier/Johnson: Dustin Poirier is a -165 favorite over Michael Johnson in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Derek Brunson is -190 over Uriah Hall.
• September 17, 2016 16:36 Online Gambling Growing: Online gambling's handle (amount bet), currently estimated at $550 billion worldwide, is projected to reach $950 billion by 2021. That will be nearly equal to the $1 trillion estimate for total spending on all digital goods in the same year. The increase is expected to be spurred by mobile users and the possible introduction of virtual reality.
• September 17, 2016 13:21 Deal on Blue: M Resort is advertising a special on Johnny Walker Blue Label, with shots for $10. The deal is offered in the restaurants only (no bars). We've seen JW Blue going for more than $30.
• September 17, 2016 10:31 Free LVA Online Poker Tournament Tomorrow: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 32nd Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100, and prizes will be awarded to the top 14 places. Prizes include the autographed hard cover of our new book, The Law for Gamblers, the new Eating Las Vegas 2016, and and the classic Blackjack Attack. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• September 16, 2016 17:29 Siegel Group Buys Strip-Area Apartments: The Siegel Group has acquired the 40-unit Somerset apartment complex for $6 million. Located on a 1.2-acre parcel just east of the Strip near the site of the former Riviera, Siegel says it will create another extended-stay complex called Siegel Gardens, but also explore redevelopment options in the area that will benefit from the $1.4 billion expansion of the Las Vegas Convention Center. The Somerset apartments were built in 1961.
• September 16, 2016 15:19 More Shows for Britney: Britney Spears has signed up for another set of shows at Planet Hollywood in 2017. She'll play 18 additional shows from March 22 to May 20. These are in addition to several already-scheduled shows running Oct. 19 through Feb. 4.
• September 16, 2016 10:21 Stadium Proposal Clears Hurdle: The Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee yesterday voted unanimously to recommend the financing plan put forth for an NFL stadium in Las Vegas, which moves the proposal to the desk of Gov. Brian Sandoval. According to the proposal, $750 million of the $1.9 billion project will come from public funding that will be raised though a room-tax increase. It's now up to Sandoval to decide whether or not to call a special session of the state Legislature before the Nov. 8 elections to grant final approval to the plan, allowing enough time for the NFL to consider it in its January meetings.
• September 15, 2016 16:52 TNF: Jets/Bills: The Buffalo Bills are -1.5 favorites over the New York Jets in tonight's Thursday Night Football game. The total is 40.5.
If you're a Buffalo fan, Bills bars are Johnny Mac’s, Moon Doggies, Stake Out, Time-Out Sports Bar and Grill, and Town Center Lounge. There are no bars that follow the Jets. Our complete list of team bars, with an area for comments for each team, is posted at GamblingWithAnEdge.com
• September 15, 2016 16:41 Reduced Juice in Mesquite: Like the Westgate, the CasaBlanca and Virgin River sports books in Mesquite are also offering -105 pricing on football bets on Thursdays. Both take bets on sides and totals, as opposed to sides only at Westgate, but the Mesquite promotion runs only from noon to 4 p.m.
• September 15, 2016 15:36 Third Sagos Planned: A third Sagos bar is planned for the west side of town. Rather than take over an existing location, the new bar on Farm Rd. in the Centennial area will be built from the ground up. No opening date has been announced. Sagos is one of the city's better gaming bar, with a good food-comp promo for a $20 buy-in at the Ft. Apache location.
• September 15, 2016 10:55 Las Vegas This Weekend: It's a multi-cultural, musical, and festival filled weekend, so no excuse to be bored! Check it out:
- Festival-wise, take your pick from the 37th annual San Gennaro Feast at Craig Ranch Park (9/14-9/18), the 44th Annual Greek Food Festival at St. John's Baptist Greek Orthodox Church (9/16), the Fall Beer Fest at the Golden Nugget (9/17-18); or the LV Craft Show at the Silverton (9/18)
- For Mexican Independence Day celebrations you've got El Grito kicking off today at the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace, Pop duo Emmanuel & Mijares performing at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace (9/15), followed by Enrique Iglesias (9/16-9/17), Guadalajara-born mariachi singer Alejandro Fernandez at the MGM Grand Garden Arena (9/15), followed by world-famous Mexican rock band Maná (9/16), Magneto y Mercurio takes the stage at The Joint inside the Hard Rock (9/16), Latin pop superstar Pitbull entertaining at the Axis Theater inside Planet Hollywood (9/14-9/15), followed by salsa music artist Mark Anthony (9/17), Julión Álvarez y su Norteño Banda performing traditional Mexican music at the Mandalay Bay Events Center (9/17), and Gloria Trevi closing out the weekend at the the Chelsea inside the Cosmopolitan (9/17).
- The Goo Goo Dolls are center stage at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center (9/16)
- American singer & songwriter, Ray LaMontagne takes the stage at The Pearl inside the Palms (9/16)
- The Scintas continue their performances at the Plaza (9/16-17)
- Black Sabbath performs "The End" at the MGM Garden Arena (9/17)
- Crystal Gayle entertains at the South Point (9/16-18)
- And the Hard Rock welcomes Fifth Harmony to the Joint (9/17)
For more details about these and other upcoming events and full listings of all the production shows Las Vegas currently plays home to check out our Shows & Nightlife section.
• September 15, 2016 10:12 Rockingham Park Closes: The famed Rockingham Park in Salem, New Hampshire, opened in 1906, has closed. Live horse racing was discontinued in 2010, but the The Rock remained open, simulcasting races and serving as a venue for special events. An auction of equipment and furniture will be held on the grounds Sept. 27 and 28. The facility will then be demolished to make way for a retail plaza.
• September 14, 2016 15:07 New LGBT Club Opening on the Strip: For the first time since Krave closed in 2012, the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood will host a gay nightclub. A new LGBT dance spot and hangout called Revolt opens in the Saxe Theater this month. Revolt will be the first smoke-free LGBT venue in Las Vegas and, as of now, the only gay club on the strip.
• September 14, 2016 10:10 Protect Your Cards!: What can casino surveillance departments learn from a two little kids playing cards? James Grosjean tells us in his latest post, "Six-and-a-Half Little Words" at GamblingWithAnEdge.com. This is a good one.
• September 14, 2016 09:43 Life is Beautiful Road Closures: The first set of road closures tied to next week's Life is Beautiful festival in downtown Las Vegas will began at midnight tonight. The closures include Mesquite Ave. between Las Vegas Blvd. and 8th St., 6th St. between Stewart Ave. and the U.S. 95 freeway, and 7th St. between Stewart Ave. and U.S. 95. Fox5Vegas has a handy map and details about the rest of the weeks scheduled closures.
• September 14, 2016 09:33 Bill Clinton In NLV Today: Former president Bill Clinton will be in North Las Vegas today, campaigning on behalf of Hillary Clinton. Mrs. Clinton was supposed to appear, but canceled on doctor's orders following her dizzy spell last weekend. Bill Clinton will appear in the June Whitely Student Lounge at the College of Southern Nevada at 11 a.m. The appearance is open to the public, but you may have to RSVP at hillaryclinton.com.
• September 13, 2016 17:26 Experts Disagree: Lots of gambling is black and white, but not all of it. And when opinions come into play, experts don't always see things the same way. Such is the case in the new post put up today by Bob Dancer at Gambling With An Edge, in which he takes issue with some of Jean Scott's ideas on how casinos should promote. Meanwhile, Jean points out where a "Today's News" item didn't tell the whole story in a recent post at her Frugal Vegas blog.
• September 13, 2016 15:26 R.I.P. Tupac: It's hard to believe, but today marks the 20th anniversary of the murder in Las Vegas of rapper Tupac Shakur. If you're not familiar with the story surrounding his still-unsolved slaying, check out The Killing of Tupac Shakur (now in it's Third Edition) by Las Vegas crime reporter Cathy Scott.
• September 13, 2016 12:37 Contests Break Participation Records: The two most expensive football contests in Las Vegas both set records for entries. The SuperContest at Westgate Las Vegas ($1,500 entry fee) had 1,854 entries, surpassing last year's 1,727. The Friday Football Showdown at Golden Nugget ($2,000) had 97 entries, up from last year's 87.
• September 13, 2016 12:15 Sands Parisian Opens in Macau: The $2.9 billion Sands Parisian has opened on Macau's Cotai Strip. The resort features 3,000 rooms, multiple restaurants, shopping arcades (yes, plural), and a water park. The Parisian is Sands Corp's fifth resort in Macau.
• September 13, 2016 11:22 Good Pizza Promo Detailed at GWAE: Grimaldi's Pizzeria is running a good $100-for-$50 promotion targeted to its email list. The promotion (and how to get on the list) is detailed by our newest blogger, Jimmy Jazz, at the Gambling With An Edge SuperBlog. Check it out and follow the link to the Grimaldi's deal at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• September 12, 2016 18:01 MNF Rams/49ers: In tonight's second Monday Night Football game, the LA Rams are -2.5 favorites over the San Francisco 49ers. The total is 43. Here's where to catch the game if you're a Niners fan; there are no bars that follow the Rams.
• September 12, 2016 15:06 MNF Steelers/Redskins: In the first of tonight's Monday Night Football double-header, the Pittsburgh Steelers are -2 favorites over the Washington Redskins. The total is 49. Here’s where to catch the game if you’re a Steelers or a Redskins fan.
• September 12, 2016 15:05 Leaving Money on the Ground: According to a new report from a group called GamblingCompliance Research Services, legalizing sports betting throughout the United States would create $11.9 billion in gross gaming revenue and make it the world's largest sports betting market with more than four times the revenue generated by the current leader, the United Kingdom. Nevada plus the pseudo-legal markets in Delaware, Montana, and Oregon currently generate just $300 million.
• September 12, 2016 13:07 Criss Angel Benefit Tonight: Criss Angel's H.E.L.P (Heal Every Life Possible) fundraiser for pediatric cancer begins at 5:30 tonight at Luxor. More than 100 stars are expected to make appearances, but ticket sales are said to be lagging. Tickets start at $50 for a good cause and a good show.
• September 12, 2016 11:46 Lucky Foo's Closes: The east-side non-casino restaurant Lucky Foo's has closed after operating for less than a year. Thanks to one of our top restaurant-information sources, Westie, for conveying the news.
• September 12, 2016 08:21 Strip Shows Closing: Following the abrupt closing of Paul Zerdin: Mouthing Off at Planet Hollywood, two more Strip shows are getting the ax. According to John Katsilometes of the LV Review-Journal, Puppet Up! Uncensored at the Venetian will close this week and Sin City Comedy & Burlesque, also at Planet Hollywood, will close in early October.
• September 11, 2016 15:17 SNF Patriots/Cardinals: The Arizona Cardinals are -9 favorites over the New England Patriots in tonight's Sunday Night Football game. The total is 44.
• September 11, 2016 10:44 U.S. Open Men's Final: Novak Djokovic is a -300 favorite over Stan Wawrinka in today's U.S. Open tennis men's final. Djokovic is seeking his 13th major championship, which would put him in fourth place for most ever.
• September 11, 2016 08:00 Get Your Picks In: Today's the first weekend of the free Pick the Pros contest at Boyd casinos. First prize is $30,000, split between all winners if there are ties. The other good freebie to play is Station Casinos' Gridiron Glory. All registration and picks for both are done at kiosks and you can enter up till kick-off of the first game today (remember to slip in an underdog or two).
• September 10, 2016 18:38 UFC Miocic/Overeem: Stipe Miocic is a -120 favorite over Alistair Overeem in tonight's UFC main event. In other featured matches, Fabricio Werdum is -260 over Travis Browne and Mickey Gall is -450 over CM Punk, who is the second big name from the WWE, along with Brock Lesnar, to attempt to cross over to the UFC.
• September 10, 2016 15:15 Sports Bar/Nightclub Opens Downtown: A new club called Red has opened downtown in the space that used to be Insert Coins. It's outfitted with big screens throughout that show sports during the day, then switch to music videos for the nighttime crowd.
• September 10, 2016 10:30 U.S. Open Women's Final: Angelique Kerber is a -160 favorite over Karolina Pliskova in today's U.S. Open tennis women's final. Kerber will be the new #1 women's player in the world after the match, regardless of the result.
• September 10, 2016 10:10 Free Dogs: As part of the promotion for its new sports book, hot dogs are free today at Santa Fe Station. The offer is good for the first 1,000 takers until 8 p.m.
• September 9, 2016 16:43 Losers Bar Coming to MGM: The Rouge Lounge at MGM Grand is getting a makeover and a new name. What's most interesting is that the new name will be Losers Bar, a choice you might not expect from a casino. The new bar will open in December.
• September 9, 2016 16:39 (Minor) Drama in Atlantic City: On the one hand, Carl Icahan has finally filed a petition with the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement for permission to wind down casino operations at Trump Taj Mahal. The filing came almost a month after the billionaire's announcement that he'd decided to close the property, leading to speculation as to whether his actual intent had been to smash the union, whose workers currently remain on strike; but the September 2 filing demonstrates that Icahn is serious about shuttering the former Donald Trump-owned Taj.
Meanwhile, everyone's favorite casino maverick, Glenn Straub, is back in the headlines again, having first been goaded into applying for a casino license earlier this month, this week Revel's owner apparently stormed out of a hearing with the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority’s land use board, which is haggling with Straub over the number of plants being proposed for inclusion in the landscaping element of his development plan for the site. The latter responded by repeating a threat he's made previously over frustration with dealing with various regulatory and utility entities: "Just keep it up. This building will be shut down forever."
• September 9, 2016 15:41 New Football Info at GWAE: There's still time to join all of the football contests (except the "Friday Football Showdown" at the Golden Nugget). Details about all the contests we know about are provided, along with a new list of football "Team Bars" at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• September 9, 2016 13:55 E-Sports Venue Coming to Neonopolis: Downtown's Neonopolis complex is getting a new e-sports arena, designed to host e-sports video game tournaments. The arena will be built on the third floor in the converted venue that was formerly a movie and a nightclub. The venue is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
• September 8, 2016 20:47 FrankB and AC on GWAE: This week's Gambling With An Edge podcast has been posted. The guests are GWAE bloggers FrankB and Anthony Curtis who talk football betting. Go to GamblingWithAnEdge.com and click into the post to listen to the show.
• September 8, 2016 17:10 TNF: Broncos/Panthers: The Carolina Panthers are -3 favorites over the Denver Broncos in tonight's Thursday Night Football game that opens the 2016 NFL season. The total is 41.
If you're a Denver fan, Broncos bars are Balboa Pizza, Black Mountain Grill, Four-Mile Bar, Jake's Bar, and Road Runner (N. Buffalo). There are no bars that follow the Panthers. Our complete list of team bars will be posted tomorrow at GamblingWithAnEdge.com
• September 8, 2016 15:40 Reduced Juice Today: As it's done for the past few seasons, the SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas is offering -105 pricing for football bets on Thursdays, beginning today. On this promo you bet $105 to win $100, as opposed to the standard $110/$100 everywhere else in town, but you have to bet off a sheet with the -105 numbers (not directly off the board). The reduced-juice wagering is for both college and pro games, sides only, and runs from 3 p.m. till closing.
• September 8, 2016 15:28 Las Vegas This Weekend: Here are this weekend's entertainment highlights:
- Smith Center welcomes Susan Anton, performing Already Home (9/6-10); Cabrera Conducts Mahler (9/10); and Dino! The Legendary Life of Dean Martin (9/11)
- The Zombies are center stage at the Golden Nugget (9/9)
- Mandalay Bay features Billy Idol at the House of Blues (9/9-10), while Lost 80s take over Mandalay Bay Beach (9/10)
- Bayside is in the spotlight at Brooklyn Bowl (9/9)
- George Strait will perform at T-Mobile Arena (9/9-10), followed by Drake -- a SOLD OUT performance (9/11)
- Funny lady Wanda Sykes is at Treasure Island (9/9)
- Mariah Carey continues her mini-residency at Caesars Palace (9/10-11)
- Frankie Avalon plays at South point (9/9-11)
- Pepper is center stage at the Hard Rock Pool (9/9)
- The Average White Band's in the spotlight at Aliante (9/10)
- Primm's Star of the Desert Arena welcomes Los Tucanes de Tijuana (9/10)
- And if you're looking for a festival, there's the End of Summer Bash Festival & Car Show at the Cannery (9/10), and/or the annual Ho'olaule' Pacific Islands festival at the Henderson Events Plaza, with food, drink, music, and more (9/10-11)
• September 8, 2016 13:19 Palms, Aliante Sales Approved: The Nevada Gaming Control Board has unanimously recommended for approval the sales of both the Palms and Aliante, the former to Red Rock Resorts and the latter to Boyd Gaming; final approval from the Nevada Gaming Commission is expected when it meets on September 22.
• September 8, 2016 10:55 SlotZilla Giveaway: Downtown's SlotZilla Zipline/Zoomline will host its one-millionth rider this month and is celebrating with a giveaway of rides and cash. Every day in September, free rides will be given away at the ticket booth to customers chosen at random. A similar promotion will be run on SotZilla's Facebook page, which you can access at vegasexperience.com. The best day to take your shot will be September 28, when 10 guests will win $1,000. LVA members can use the Member Rewards coupon for a 25% discount, even if they don't win a freebie.
• September 7, 2016 17:09 Adult-Activity Theme Park Proposed: The owner of the shooting range Machine Guns Vegas has proposed an adult-activity theme park called Xpark Vegas. The park would include speedboat channels, a dirt-bike obstacle course, a heavy-equipment-operation zone, and a bungee tower. It would be built near Sloan, the small town located about 12 miles west of Las Vegas where the Speed Vegas raceway recently opened. If approved, Xpark would open next summer.
• September 7, 2016 14:12 Lucky Dragon Announces Opening Date: Las Vegas' next casino opening has been announced. The Lucky Dragon, located on Sahara just west of the Strip, will open on December 3. The "boutique" resort with just 200 rooms is marketing hard to the Asian market, with its name, motif, and restaurants all engendering a Far East theme. Even its press releases are written in both English and Chinese.
• September 7, 2016 13:24 Boulder Station Unionizes: Employees at Boulder Station have voted 355-177 via a secret ballot for representation by Culinary Local 226. It's the first Station Casinos property in Nevada to conduct a vote to join the Culinary union and is likely to lead to similar votes at other Station properties.
• September 6, 2016 18:50 DraftKings Gets Some Dough: Get ready for those DFS ads. The NFL season is set to begin, which means the daily fantasy sports companies will be back on TV and radio. Not with as much force as last year, but significantly for sure. Assuring that was a $150 million funding infusion secured last week by DraftKings from a venture capital group. The investment is an important vote of confidence for the DFS industry, which has had to weather several attacks on its model. Follow the DFS story on Fantasy Sports Real Money author Bill Ordine's blog at GamblingWithAnEdge.com.
• September 6, 2016 18:12 Tallest in the West? Press releases circulating today say that the under-construction Wilshire Grand Tower in Los Angeles will be the new tallest tower west of the Mississippi. This naturally caught our eye, given that it would mean displacing Las Vegas' Stratosphere for that distinction. The only problem is that the Wilshire will top out at 1,099 feet, whereas, last we looked, the Strat was still 1,149.
• September 6, 2016 13:00 Sam's Town Messtake: It looks like we jumped the gun on the opening of the Big Mess Bar-BQ at Sam's Town. We're now told that the opening hasn't taken place. Apologies, and we'll let you know when it does.
• September 5, 2016 20:48 Las Vegas High School Tops Rankings: After beginning the year as the third-ranked high school football team in the nation, Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman has ascended to the top spot after a 44-14 trouncing of formerly 5th-ranked Cedar Hill, Texas. Gorman has finished first in the rankings the past two years.
• September 5, 2016 20:44 Huntridge Diner Closes: The diner portion of the Huntridge Pharmacy and Soda Fountain has closed. The adjacent Huntridge Tavern remains open.
• September 5, 2016 11:23 A Big Mess at Sam's Town: The Big Mess Bar-BQ has opened at Sam's Town in the space that was formerly Billy Bob's. We haven't tried the food, but give it points for coming up with yet another way to spell barbecue.
• September 5, 2016 08:13 Happy Labor Day: The casinos are busy for the end of the three-day weekend. Labor Day isn't a big promotions day, but Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam's Town, and Orleans are awarding 15X points on penny slots, 11X on other slots, and 7X on video poker. Silverton has 10X-16X points, depending on tier level.
• September 4, 2016 16:01 DG Restaurant Named: The new restaurant replacing S+O at the Downtown Grand will be named Freedom Beat and specialize in American comfort food. It’s expected to open this month.
• September 4, 2016 13:44 Cosmo Cuts Comps at Bars: After a trial period to test the policy at limited bars, the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is going to a voucher system for dispensing comped drinks at all of its bars. It sounds like the first drink will still be comped automatically, but the comping of subsequent drinks will be based on playing to specified levels. A similar system is in place at select bars at MGM and the Mirage.
• September 4, 2016 07:06 Rampart Revamp: The Rampart has overhauled its players club and given it a new name: The former Resort Rewards is now Rampart Rewards. New features include free car washes, accelerated discounts when paying with points, and points awarded toward tier status for bingo play. According to ads for the club, the cash back return is .5%.
• September 3, 2016 16:02 Inside Seedy High Stakes Underworld of NYC's Illegal Card Rooms: In his latest feature for the New York Post, veteran gambling writer Michael Kaplan ventured inside the seedy world of New York underground poker clubs -- a lucrative, cutthroat, and sometimes dangerous parallel universe inhabited by a cast of professional gamblers, hustlers, mobsters, celebrities, degenerates cheats, millionaires, and marks who inhabit it. Essentially accessible only to those with skill and/or money, it's the kind of world in which on any given nights, you might find Alex Rodriguez in a game with Phil Hellmuth; where six-figure sums change routinely; and where occasionally, people get killed. As usual from Kaplan, a credible and compelling account and recommended read.
• September 3, 2016 13:04 Smash Mouth on Fremont Tonight: Downtown's "Rock of Vegas" summer concert series at the Fremont Street Experience concludes tonight with Smash Mouth. The free concert begins at 9 p.m. on the 3rd Street Stage.
• September 3, 2016 11:00 UFC Barnett/Arlovski: Josh Barnett is a -145 favorite over Andrei Arlovski in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Alexander Gustafsson -550 over Jan Blachowitcz.
• September 3, 2016 07:45 College Football Begins: While a few games were played earlier this week, today is considered the true opening of the college football season. Today's game line-up is being touted as the best opening Saturday ever with several Top 25 teams in action. Check the lines in real time at LVASports.com.
• September 3, 2016 07:42 Rights to Knights: It looks like some kind of "Knights" for Las Vegas hockey. The team has registered the names Desert Knights, Golden Knights, and Silver Knights. Owner Bill Foley originally wanted Black Knights, but the name wasn't embraced by fans.
• September 2, 2016 10:45 Strip Club Opening, Again: Tonight's the grand reopening of the gentleman's club StripTease. Located at 3750 S. Valley View, this one's had it's share of openings and closings, but it's back for another swing.
• September 2, 2016 10:24 Bahamas Resort Back on Track: The strange saga of the $350 million Baha Mar resort in Nassau, Bahamas continues. After sitting idle for two years despite being 97% completed, the Bahamian government says that agreements have been reached with an undisclosed buyer to resume construction this month, with an opening targeted for 2017.
• September 1, 2016 15:37 Football-Contest Listings Posted at GWAE: Our complete (almost, there are still some details pending) guide to this year's football contests is up at GamblingWithAnEdge.com. This year we've added a space for comments, so you can ask questions, suggest strategies, or just brag when you win a big weekly.
• September 1, 2016 14:36 Las Vegas Weekend Highlights:
- Downtown has a diverse line-up, with First Friday (9/2) in the Arts District; The Lon Bronson Band over at the Smith Center (9/2); The Oak Ridge Boys center stage at the Golden Nugget (9/2), and Smash Mouth performs live on Fremont Street Experience's 3rd Street Stage as part of the Rock of Vegas free concert series (9/3)
- Mandalay Bay welcomes Billy Idol to the House of Blues (9/2)
- Mariah Carey continues her mini concert series at Caesars Palace (9/3-4)
- Funnyman, Gilbert Gottfried, entertains at the M Resort (9/3); Jim Breuer does stand-up at the South Point (9/2-9/4); and Kevin Hart & Friends Comedy All-Stars take the stage at The Chelsea inside the Cosmopolitan (9/2)
- Grammy-winning artists, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, perform at the Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan (9/4)
- And The Australian Pink Floyd Show takes over the Pearl at the Palms (9/3)
For more details about these and other upcoming events and full listings of all the production shows Las Vegas currently plays home to check out our Shows & Nightlife section.
• September 1, 2016 12:42 Penthouse Suites at Cosmo: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is adding 21 new suites that it says will "set a new bar for luxury on the Strip." The penthouses will be located on the top floor of the Boulevard Tower and range in size from 2,000 to 5,000 square feet. Accompanying the Boulevard Penthouses will be a private gaming salon overlooking the Strip. All are expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2017.
• September 1, 2016 09:07 Zowie Bowie Back at Red Rock: That didn't take long. After making a big deal earlier this year about leaving its long relationship with Station Casinos to pursue other opportunities, the lounge band Zowie Bowie has signed back on. It's a good thing -- ZB is one of the best lounge acts in Vegas. Catch 'em in Rocks Lounge at Red Rock on Friday nights, beginning around 10 p.m.