Compiled by LVA Research
• August 31, 2015 16:07 Football Contest Update: Speaking of LVASports, as we were earlier, check out the latest post from Frank B about the two contests, paid and free, running concurrently at Aliante Hotel + Casino this year. It's his latest in a series of posts that will tell you all you need to know about the football-contest scene, with season-long updates from Frank and Anthony Curtis, so be sure to keep checking out the dedicated Football Contest section, supplemented by regular posts and tweets from @LVASports.
• August 31, 2015 12:54 Downtown (Not So) Grand? Further to last week's talk of trouble at the Downtown Grand, Frank B of LVASports was at the property this morning and all seemed normal; he stepped out for a couple of hours and just returned to find the entire pit cordoned off and in the process of being broken down -- we'll be posting photographic evidence to @LVA_Tweet momentarily. When questioned, staff responded that they're just changing things up and relocating their gaming area, as per last week's official press release (see initial link above). Time will tell, but there are definitely some drastic changes afoot at the Grand, where the Mob Bar has already been bottle-less for awhile.
• August 31, 2015 10:35 Vegas' Revolving Lounge Door Spins Pop Strings to Palms: As reported by the LV Sun's "Kats Report," and verified by band leader David Perrico over the weekend, it's "all change" on the Vegas lounge scene, with the word that the Pop Strings Orchestra may have departed Red Rock's Rocks Lounge, but has a new regular gig at the Palms commencing Oct. 24 (no cover). This comes on the back of recent news that Santa Fe and the Fat City Horns tonight end their run at the Palms, but will be moving to a new home at South Point Sept. 7. Perrico's alter-ego (or one of them), the Pop Evolution band, continues with its ongoing residency at the Smith Center, too, while you can also catch Perrico playing with noir chanteuse Laura Shaffer Mondays in Tuscany's Piazza Lounge.
• August 31, 2015 10:28 Grosjean on Cute Dealers, Card Counting, Cheating, Communism, and the American Dream: A new post from James Grosjean at Beyond Numbers sees the notorious Advantage Player in a feisty frame of mind as he muses on the laws used against professional gamblers, their original intent, and the competency of those currently invoking them. Warning: He's on fine (acerbic) form and you might want to don some protective clothing to shield yourself from that razor-sharp wit. P.S. You don't need to be an AP to read, enjoy, or learn from Legal Musings: 'Using information not available to others at the table' -- if you've ever made a "coded" comment to your buddy about a hot dealer, or demurred from showing your hand to fellow players at the poker table—pre-flop!—there's an argument to say that you were breaking the law...
• August 31, 2015 09:48 Onions vs. Shrimp: Are you a bloomin' onion or a coconut shrimp? Either way, you can take your pick from either of these two signature appetizers at Outback Steakhouse today, with the order of two entrées (it's something to do with college football, but we're not sure what). Just print out this coupon.
• August 30, 2015 15:50 Taxi-Rate Hike: It costs a little more to cab it after a rate adjustment that's recently gone into effect. The "drop" has been raised 5¢ to $3.50, the mileage rate has been raised from 67¢ to 69¢ per quarter mile, and the state has tacked on a 3% tax on all charges and fees, including the credit card-transaction fee. The relatively small increases will raise the cost of most rides by less than $1.
• August 30, 2015 15:17 SuperBook Shows Off Video Wall: The SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas unveiled portions of its new video wall this weekend and it's a monster. The gigantic high-definition screen is the highlight of the book's redesign that will also feature a new bar facing the screen (the existing sports book bar faces away). It's expected to be up and running for opening day of the NFL.
• August 30, 2015 12:51 Project Playhouse Returns to Town Square: The 6th annual Project Playhouse Pet Edition comes to Town Square retail village from Tuesday, Sept. 1 through Sunday, Sept. 13, benefiting HomeAid of Southern Nevada, a non-profit that aims to improve the lives of homeless individuals by providing housing and community outreach. There will be locally fabricated pet houses on display, which will be raffled as prizes, plus various scheduled pet-adoption times, a pet parade, and more. Visit the official website for more info and a complete schedule.
• August 30, 2015 10:10 Downtown Drinking Games: Downtown's Bin 702 wine bar (7th and Fremont) revives Drinking Game Night, in conjunction with Kappa Toys, from 4-7 p.m. today, so get on down for their extended happy hour and an afternoon of board games and prizes. Must be 21 and up to attend.
• August 30, 2015 09:45 Bonus Points at Orleans: Today is the final day of "Send Me Back Sundays" at the Orleans. Get 40X on your first 400 points earned ($400 coin-in). The bonus applies to both slots and video poker until 4 p.m.