Compiled by LVA Research
• April 27, 2015 12:55 Be on TV and Get a Free Drink, Courtesy of Ellis Island: Want to be on television? Ellis Island casino is filming an ad today and is looking for "extras" to take part, we just learned from a trusty LVA field scout. Show up at 3:30 p.m., or a little before, and you'll not only have a chance to be in the commercial, but they'll also reward your labors with a complimentary drink!
• April 27, 2015 11:50 Fetish & Fantasy Add Adult Expo: The notorious annual Fetish & Fantasy Halloween Ball is upping the ante in 2015, with the addition of an adult-lifestyle expo to the proceedings. The event will run Oct. 29-31 at Hard Rock "and/or" Alexis Park, according to the official website, where you can register for email updates about this unconventional convention...
• April 27, 2015 11:27 Power of Love Gala Lineup Announced: This year's "Power of Love" gala performance, raising funds for Keep Memory Alive and the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, takes place on Saturday, June 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and will feature performances by Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion, Martina McBride, and Gloria Estefan, with culinary contributions from Wolfgang Puck and Giada De Laurentiis. Individual seats start at $1,500, going up to as much as $100,000 for the "Platinum Table" option (for groups of 12).
• April 27, 2015 10:07 Palms Job Fair April 30: This Thursday, April 30, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., there's another job fair hosted by the Palms (Grand Ballroom, second floor), with diverse employers due to attend, for example: Palms; Trump International; Dotty's (including the new Hoover Dam Lodge property); Winder Farmsp; NV Energy; Massage Envy; Clark County School District; LVMPD; and TJ Maxx. Visit the official website for more details and to register.
• April 27, 2015 09:53 Mortal Kombat Tourney at Town Sq. Tuesday: Game Works, in conjunction with Gouki.com, is hosting its first-ever Mortal Kombat X "Toasty Tuesday" tournament at the new(ish) location at Town Square on Tuesday, April 28, from 7-11 p.m. Online registration ($20) ends at 9 p.m. PT tonight or it's $25 at the door and there's a $150 pot bonus from BackItHere.com. Visit the official Gouki tournaments site for rules, more info, and to register.
• April 27, 2015 09:41 Ellis Island Steak Deal Altered: There've been some changes at Ellis Island, notably in the requirement for getting the 24/7 steak dinner. The base price has been raised to $12.99, but everyone can swipe their players card to get $3 off for $9.99. Whereas you used to be able to get an additional $2 off by playing $1 in a machine, that requirement has been raised to $5 (which costs about 10 cents in expected value). Bottom line: You can still get the steak dinner for $7.99, but you have to make a $5 laydown to get it.
• April 26, 2015 18:02 To Smoke, Or Not to Smoke (in Casinos)?: That is the question being posed right now by a poll in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, in light of various recent legislative moves, so if you have an opinion, cast your vote! You may also send feedback to the author of the article via firstname.lastname@example.org.
• April 26, 2015 16:24 Lake Mead Level Hits All-Time Low: On April 26, water levels at Lake Mead are expected to reach a new record low, dipping below the previous record set last Aug. 13 of 1,080.19 feet above sea level. Lake Mead has not been that low on water since May 1937, when the reservoir was being filled for the first time. Things are not expected to get better any time soon, either, thanks to an abnormally dry winter in the West which has resulted in a state of "superdrought" in Utah and conditions almost as dire in Nevada and California (as an official with the Dept. of Agriculture's federal snow-survey program put it to the R-J, there is "diddly squat" in the way of snow melt to look forward to) . Lake water levels are expected to keep falling, too -- by another seven feet now through June, it's being forecast.
• April 26, 2015 14:13 Local Wins $1 Million at Aliante: A Las Vegas woman hit Wheel of Fortune at Aliante Hotel + Casino for $1.27 million Sunday, the resort has announced.
• April 26, 2015 13:08 It's People's Choice for DCP Movie Night: The Downtown Container Park is asking would-be visitors to vote on which classic '80s flicks to screen for June's "Family Movie Night," with the films with the most votes to be shown. (We peeked, and Back to the Future is the current leader, followed by Beetlejuice.)
• April 26, 2015 10:25 Midas Touched: CG Technology, formerly Cantor Gaming, has pulled the plug on in-running wagering (betting while a game is in progress). The move is surprising given all the hoopla about Cantor's proprietary algorithm, dubbed "Midas," that managed its in-running-wagering system. While the famously private sports-betting operator isn't talking, it's apparent that Midas was getting got to by some of the experts on the player side.
• April 26, 2015 09:54 Eat Owner on AmEx Commercial: If you're watching the NBA playoffs, look for the owner of the downtown restaurant Eat on an American Express commercial. Natalie Young is one of four people featured in the campaign titled "The Journey Never Stops" for overcoming adversity to succeed in business. The other three are Mindy Kaling of the Mindy Project, Nick Woodman, founder of GoPro, and Aretha Franklin.
• April 26, 2015 07:35 Free Pretzels Sunday: Don't forget that, in honor of National Pretzel Day, today you can score a complimentary pretzel at Pretzelmaker and Wetzel's locations, while Hofbräuhaus is offering a deal today only on a small pretzel, served with beer cheese sauce, for $1.99 if you mention National Pretzel Day.
• April 25, 2015 18:55 UFC Johnson/Horiguchi: Demetrious Johnson is a -800 favorite over Kyoji Horiguchi in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Michael Bisping is -140 over C.B. Dollaway.
• April 25, 2015 13:33 Point Bonuses Today: Swipe your players card to get up to 3.3X points on slots and 2X on video poker today at all Stations and Fiestas. Suncoast is giving away $500 every 15 minutes today from 4 to 9 p.m.
• April 25, 2015 11:07 Family Day at Springs Preserve: It's the annual Día del Niño event at Springs Preserve, celebrating children and childhood with fun for kids of all ages, including clowns and magicians, cooking demos, face painting, carnival games, a petting zoo, traditional Mexican food and drink, and hands-on arts and crafts. Admission is $6 for adults, $4 for children; click for the complete entertainment schedule.
• April 25, 2015 09:52 Downtown Summerlin Goes Green: The sixth annual Las Vegas GREEENFest, which is one of the largest such events in the nations, will be hosted from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. by the new "retailtainment" complex in Summerlin. Featuring more than 150 booths focusing on sustainability, conservation, and recycling, the event also includes demos and workshops, plus live entertainment, a beer garden, interactive exhibitors, pet adoptions, live artists at work, prize drawings, a treasure hunt, kids' zone, and lots of activities for kids and families.
• April 25, 2015 08:56 Remember it's Recycling Day: This morning sees the annual FREE Nevada Recycling Day, hosted by the office of KNPR, in conjunction with Republic Services. So bring all your unwanted glass, metal, paper, furniture, electronics, unused meds, and documents in need of shredding to 1289 S. Torrey Pines, where the event runs from 8 a.m. to noon today.
• April 24, 2015 12:20 Gold Strike Sale Approved: At its meeting on Thursday, the Nevada Gaming Commission approved the sale of the Gold Strike hotel-casino in Jean by MGM Mirage Int'l to JETT Gaming, which apparently plans to expand the property, with a large on-site truck stop-type facility, featuring multiple fueling spots, a 15,000 square-foot convenience store, and 20 quick-service restaurants, which it's hoping will boost revenues on the struggling casino floor.
• April 24, 2015 11:59 Whale Hunter Gets Gridlocked: Today from noon, tune in to Gridlock on ESPN Radio (1100AM/100.9FM) to hear casino "superhost" Steve Cyr, the subject of best-seller Whale Hunt in the Desert, discussing the truth about high rollers and how the casinos "harpoon" and fight over the world's biggest players. Steve's always great entertainment, and he tells it like it is, so tune in!
• April 24, 2015 11:52 #MayPac Tix, Part II: If you didn't dial fast enough to bag yourself tix to the main event, you still have a shot at being part of this circus: Tickets to the weigh-in go on sale at noon today, so you have less than four minutes to practice getting that number down... It's $10, with proceeds going to the fighters' chosen charities, and you can get 'em from any MGM Mirage box office, or by calling 866-740-771. Approx. 12,000 seats will be available.
• April 24, 2015 10:53 Elaine Wynn is Out from Wynn Board: Bloomberg reports that Elaine Wynn has failed in her bid for re-election to the board of Wynn Resorts Ltd.
• April 24, 2015 09:43 Pretzel Deals A Go Go!: April 26 is National Pretzel Day and the Vegas Valley's pretzel purveyors are falling over themselves to give away some doughy goodness for free, starting right now! Here's what we've found:
- For Auntie Anne’s, download the app, sign up for My Pretzel Perks, then show it at a participating store for a complimentary Original or Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel, today through Sunday, April 26. (The only catch is, we fear you needed to download the app by April 23, but it's worth a shot.)
- Pretzelmaker wants to make you work for your free, soft pretzel, either by making up and reciting your own tongue-twister, or by repeating the brand's own official one. This free offer, for those who complete the challenge, runs on Sunday.
- Wetzel's is also be offering free pretzels. Just show up at your nearest location, say: "My name is (your first name) Wetzel and I'd like my free pretzel!" and, hey presto!, the pretzel will be yours on "National
- Just until noon today, you can bag a pretzel-and-cheese-sauce appetizer at Renaissance Las Vegas' Grill 55 for $5.
- Celebrate at Hofbräuhaus on Sunday by mentioning National Pretzel Day to your server to receive a small pretzel, served with beer cheese sauce, for $1.99.
• April 24, 2015 09:29 Unique New Dive Experience Available: For the first time in seven years, tourists are able to experience guided diving tours of a WWII bomber that crashed into Lake Mead back in 1948 (all five crew members survived). The plane, which is almost completely intact, wasn't located by divers until 2001; diving tours were then offered for several years but were suspended due to lack of clientele during the Great Recession. Now, once again, the National Park Service has awarded a permit to Tech Diving Limited, of Lake Havasu City, which will be allowed to take a total of 200 divers down to explore the B-29 over the two-year period of their contract. Tours of the wreck are being are being offered, exclusively to qualified divers, at the rate of $300 for a half day or $450 for a full day, which includes two dives. Check the company website for more information and discounts.
• April 24, 2015 09:23 New Pizza Joint for Palace: Today Little Tony's, the latest Las Vegas venture from multi award-winning pizza chef Tony Gemignani (of Pizza Rock fame), debuts at Palace Station, as part of the ongoing dining upgrade being rolled out by Station Casinos at their Las Vegas properties.
• April 23, 2015 16:35 Las Vegas This Weekend: Even as the city braces itself for the insanity of #MayPac and #RockInRio, there's no skimping on the entertainment offerings this weekend, because this is Vegas, baby!
- Comedy wise, Vince Morris and Carla Rea are at the Riviera (4/23-26); Amy Schumar performs at The Chelsea at Cosmo (4/24); Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally are at MBay's House of Blues (4/24); Andrew Dice Clay's Indestructible Tour is back at Vinyl at the Hard Rock (4/25); and Vegas veteran Don Rickles performs at the Orleans (4/25-26)
- For all you comic fans, Marvel Universe Live is at Thomas and Mack (4/23-26), coinciding with The Wizard World Comic Con at the Las Vegas Convention Center (4/24-26) and after party at Paris' Chateau nightclub (4/25)
- Crystal Gayle performs at South Point (4/24-26)
- Nashville Unplugged presents Frank Meyers, with co-host Michael Peterson, at Sunset Station (4/24), which also hosts the World Fighting Championships WFC 38 (4/24)
- Eastside Cannery welcomes country star Mickey Gilly (4/24) and TJ Tyler - Sinatra and More on (4/26)
- The Radio Revival Tour comes to Vinyl at the Hard Rock (4/24)
- Springs Preserve hosts its annual Dia Del Nino Festival (4/25)
- Falling in Reverse play Mandalay Bay's House of Blues (4/25)
- Foreigner take the stage at Primm's Star of the Desert Arena (4/25)
- Iggy Azelea's at MGM Grand (4/25)
- Suncoast features Franki Valli and the Four Seasons tribute, "Let's Hang On" (4/25-26)
- Little River Band is celebrating 40 Years with a show at the Cannery (4/25)
- Downtown's Smith Center welcomes "Masterworks V: 100 Years of Music" (4/25)
- Zappa Plays Zappa at Brooklyn Bowl (4/25)
- Santa Fe Station hosts Michael Grimm - Blues Bayou Brunch (4/26)
- Earth Day festivities and promos continue, with various recycling events and family-oriented activities around town (click link for details)
- For dog lovers, it's the Animal Foundation's Twelfth Annual "Best in Show" is at the Orleans Arena (4/26)
- And the (FREE!) Las Vegas Science and Technology Festival will be at various locations all over town (see earlier post for details (4/24-5/2)
• April 23, 2015 16:00 Celebrate #WorldBookDay - Buy a Book!: Today is World Book Day, so we're taking the opportunity to remind you about all the awesome titles from Huntington Press, available at ShopLVA.com, or from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or Las Vegas' awesome new indie bookstore, The Writer's Block (E. Fremont St.) If you're a fan of Vegas, or Mob stories, or hip hop, or biographies, or if you're a history buff, a professional (or smart recreational) gambler, a gastronome, or a bargain-hunter, we're pretty sure we've published something you need to own, so check out our products and support the written word!
• April 23, 2015 15:25 Hot 100 Debuts Tomorrow: You have less than 24 hours to tone up if you wish to be a contender in the 2015 SpyOnVegas "Hot 100" contest hosted, as always, by MGM Grand's Wet Republic party pool. This year the stakes have been raised, with the winner having a shot at a $1 million wheel-spin payday, so work that treadmill tonight, ladies!
• April 23, 2015 11:26 Blue Man News: The ripple effect of MayPac is being felt in unexpected places, with an announcement from Blue Man Group that on May 2, the regular 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Saturday performances will be replaced by one 2 p.m. show, on account of the fight. Also, on June 14 (and on other dates everywhere where the show is staged), BMG will present a special "sensory-friendly" performance at 2 p.m., as part of the show's commitment to support Autism Awareness. The specially modified show features a reduction of sound and light levels at various points during the performance, with sound-reducing headphones available upon request, plus the Blue men "will limit the amount of 'chair walking' and keep their approach to the audience more subdued," while providing "calming environments" in the theater lobby "for families seeking a break from the excitement."
• April 23, 2015 11:24 Véronic and her 'Voices' Return to Bally's: Vocal impressionist Véronic DiCaire is returning to Bally’s Las Vegas for performances of VÉRONIC Voices from May 14 – June 13. Tickets, which start at $45, go on sale Friday, April 24 at 10 a.m. PT.
• April 23, 2015 10:45 Get Your Geek on at the Las Vegas Science Festival (it's FREE!): Commencing tomorrow, Thursday April 23, and running through May 2, Las Vegas offers nine days of free activities for adults, kids, and families, as part of the annual Las Vegas Science & Technology Festival. Aimed at raising awareness about science and technology in our community, and sparking an interest in all things "geeky," the entirely free program includes: film screenings; planetarium shows; a hand-on drone experience; magicians sharing secrets about the 'science' of magic; exclusive behind-the-scenes tours at diverse local businesses and attractions, including the Bellagio Conservatory, the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Shark Reef, the Bellagio Fountains, Blue Man Group, the Neon Museum, West Flamingo Animal Hospital, the Mirage volcano, Adventuredome at Circus Circus, and many, many other cool opportunities (click the link for the full list). Download the complete 2015 brochure and take advantage of some of the unique fun and educational opportunities available during the festival.
• April 23, 2015 09:57 MayPac, May 2 -- It's On!: Last-minute behind-the-scenes wrangling about ticket allocation, hotel accommodation, credentials, and other issues had threatened to derail the much-hyped May 2 Mayweather vs. Pacquiao "Fight of the Century," Yahoo Sports confirms that disputes between fight promoter Top Rank, Mayweather Promotions, and host property MGM Grand have been resolved, and the contract finally inked. Credit for saving the day is being given to CBS CEO Leslie Moonves, with some independent intervention from boxing fan Sen. Harry Reid.
Now that the "Fight of the Century" is definitely on, tickets can finally go on sale, which they will do at noon today local time. As predicted, a mere 500 of the 16,000 seats will be available to the general public, with tickets priced at $7,500, $5,000, $3,500, $2,500, and $1,500 available at mgmgrand.com, ticketmaster.com, or by calling 800-745-300. There's a limit of 4 tix per person. In addition, tickets for closed circuit viewing, which is limited to MGM properties in Vegas, will go on sale Thursday at 3 p.m. PT and can be purchased at the individual hotels' box offices, or by calling either 866-799-7711 or 800-745-3000. Closed circuit tickets are $150 each (plus taxes and fees) and there's a limit of 8 per person.
The only other venues we've learned of, to-date, that will be screening the fight live, are: Miller's Ale House at Town Square ($100 cover for individuals, with first come, first served bar seating only, or $100/person for table reservations, with a minimum party size of six people); Larry Flynt's Hustler Club will be showing the fight live with 100 GA cover/$150 for VIP (which includes access to the second floor of the club and complimentary food) or, for $3,000, you can arrange with a hostess for private viewing in a VIP room; and Deja Vu Showgirls, which is offering the victor free lap dances for life, will be showing the fight live on PPV (cover TBC).
• April 22, 2015 17:09 #MayPac Ticket Update: The latest word is that a mere 500 tickets will be made available to the general public for the May 2 fight, and most likely on Thursday now, not today. (By the time you've read that they're on sale, they'll almost certainly be sold out.)
• April 22, 2015 15:33 MayPac Tix Go on Sale Today ... Allegedly: After several prior promised sales that have failed to come to fruition, we're a little skittish about posting this, not least because the contracts still have yet to be inked, but in theory some tickets for the May 2 Mayweather vs. Pacquiao "Fight of the Century" at MGM Grand are slated to go on sale later today. If this sale actually materializes, don't expect there to be much in the way of available inventory for the 16,000-seat event, since the majority of the tickets will already be spoken for, but if this does happen, as Yahoo Sports reports, then expect to pay from $1,500 to $7,500, or more, for a seat.
• April 22, 2015 12:00 Last Call for Smoking in New Orleans Casinos: At midnight tonight, a smoking ban comes into effect in New Orleans, affecting bars, casinos, hotels, workplaces, private clubs, stores, and other public places.
• April 22, 2015 11:33 New Poll - Voting-Option Update: In light of all the emails we've received via the "Other" option in our new Reader Poll, wherein most people's choice was "I frequent none of these venues," we've identified our oversight and have switched what was previously "Other" to be "None of the above." So, if that was your preferred choice, please check back and pick that voting option, now that it's available. Thanks!
• April 22, 2015 11:20 Kudos to Vegas Brunch Spots: No less than three Las Vegas hotspots made the cut for inclusion on Restaurantnews.com's list of the 100 Best Brunch Brunch Restaurants in America for 2015, including: Echo & Rig (Tivoli Village); Bally's Sterling Champagne Brunch; and Tableau at Wynn.
• April 22, 2015 11:13 Ref and Judges Named for May/Pac Fight: Veteran Kenny Bayless has been tabbed to referee the Mayweather/Pacquiao super fight on May 2. The judges will be Dave Moretti, Burt Clements, and Glenn Feldman. The team was chosen from a list of 12 possible referees and 13 judges. The mere fact that the appointments is news is another testament to the magnitude of the event.
• April 22, 2015 11:06 NFL Lines Go Up: No kidding. With the release of the NFL schedule last night, the SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas has already posted lines for the first week of the season. In the first game on Thursday night, Sept. 10, the New England Patriots are -6 favorites over the Pittsburgh Steelers and the total is 53.
• April 22, 2015 10:26 Happy Earth Day; Welcome VegeNation!: For our main coverage of Earth Day happenings, check out the item we posted yesterday in Today's News (should we rename the archives "Yesterday's News"?), but we said we'd post more if we found it, and we did; here's what we have so far:
- Downtown's VegeNation, the global street-food/vegan eatery and latest addition to the burgeoning culinary tour de force that is Carson Street, has chosen today to host its official Grand Opening from 4-6 p.m., commencing with a green ribbon-cutting ceremony to be followed by eats and "juicetails" (signature cold-pressed juices with an added kick of local hooch, because even vegans get wild in Vegas).
- On Friday, April 24, Venetian/Palazzo, long-time supporters of sustainability, are jointly honoring both Earth Day and Arbor Day with a tree-planting ceremony at 10 a.m. At the event, team members will also be presented with their own personal trees to plant at home, in an effort to positively impact the environment a little not only at the properties, but throughout the whole Las Vegas Valley.
• April 22, 2015 10:18 Wine Down Wednesday Poolside at Silverton: Kick the Hump Day ennui this evening with the continuation of Silverton's poolside wine-tasting series, Wine Down Wednesdays, which is a weekly FREE event, from 6-8 p.m., running through the end of May and showcasing wines from around the world. The first two glasses are complimentary and small plates and bites, starting at $2, are provided by Twin Creeks, Mi Casa Cantina, and Sundance Grill; there's live entertainment (tonight it's Desert Breeze) and a remote broadcast by Sunny 106.5 FM.
• April 21, 2015 20:15 Double Dose of Dancer (with a Generous Helping of Munchkin): Bob Dancer's regular Tuesday column is now live, with the video poker pro this week discussing a matter of etiquette and the contentious subject of "shutting down" or "reserving" a machine. As usual, he has some insightful observations and opinions to share on the matter, whether you like it or not! Whatever your response, you can share it with Bob live on air, if you tune in from 10 to 11 a.m. PST today to "Gambling With An Edge," the advantage-play and expert-gambling radio talk show Dancer co-hosts with fellow Richard Munchkin, which today broadcasts its inaugural episode from its new home at vegasallnetradio.com, featuring guest Jeff Hwang discussing Omaha and designing new table games. We'll have even more news about Dancer, Munchkin, James Grosjean, and others in the near future, so stay tuned.
• April 21, 2015 12:22 Presleys Headed to Vegas: Both Priscilla Presley and Lisa Marie Presley will be in Las Vegas on Thursday, April 23, for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and red-carpet event to mark the debut of The Elvis Experience production show and "Graceland® Presents ELVIS™: The Exhibition," both highlights of the Westgate's property-wide "Elvis revival" initiative. The date is no coincidence, marking as it does the 59th anniversary of The King's first-ever Las Vegas performance back in 1956.
• April 21, 2015 11:54 Revel Owner Finally Gets Some Good News: The crucial ruling that Glenn Straub, new owner of Atlantic City’s Revel resort-casino, has been hoping for has finally come to pass, with a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge deciding that Straub is free to terminate any existing leases of former business tenants who he inherited with the venue. It's a decision that said tenants will almost certainly fight, pending word from Straub about his intentions and what lease adjustments he may be seeking. Meanwhile, Revel has been without any working utilities since April 9, when one of Straub's disgruntled tenants and creditors, ACR Energy Parnters, opted to terminate services abruptly when no future agreement could be reached. Straub's been hit with a $5K/day fine ever since by the city for violating fire-safety codes (his effort to circumvent the problem using portable generators was blocked by state environmental authorities, citing federal air-pollution laws).
• April 21, 2015 11:37 Cirque du Soleil Sold: Cirque founder Guy Laliberté, who launched what is now a $1 billion global brand with a band of street performers back in 1984, has sold all but a 10 per cent stake in the entity to U.S. private equity firm TPG, which will become the largest shareholder with approx. 60 percent; Chinese investment firm Fosun Captial Group is a minority partner and together the new owners intend to launch a big push for Cirque into the Chinese market, according to reports. According to the terms of the deal, Montreal is to remain Cirque’s international creative and management HQ and Laliberté has agreed to stay on as a creative and strategic adviser during the transition, but Quebec businessman Mitch Garber will become Cirque's new chairman.
• April 21, 2015 11:30 Earth Day in the Desert: Wednesday, April 22 marks the 45th annual Earth Day event, and for the sixth consecutive year Las Vegas will be celebrating in style, with multiple festivities, informational workshops, recycling events, and more taking place around the Vegas Valley. The Sierra Club of Southern Nevada is kicking things off early tomorrow morning, with a free workshop for small businesses about the benefits of energy conservation (think: rebates!) and how to achieve them hosted by the Faciliteq Building (817 South Main St.). Visit the link above for a full calendar of fun eco-awareness events for all the family taking place throughout the week and weekend.
The only other specific happening we've uncovered for 4/22 so far is a promo from Double Helix Wine & Whiskey Bar (Town Square location), which is encouraging patrons to donate their old wine-bottle corks to ReCork, N. America's largest cork-recycling initiative, in exchange for a complimentary glass of house red tomorrow only (they collect corks year-round, however).
On Thursday, April 23, Springs Preserve hosts Metamorphosis: An Eco-Fashion Event fundraiser for the attraction, featuring an al fresco sustainable-fashion runway event, appetizers and cocktails, a silent auction, and an after party in the Divine Cafe. GA is $75 and reservations are required.
Meanwhile, on April 25 Downtown Summerlin will host the sixth annual GREEENFest Las Vegas, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., featuring more than 150 booths highlighting environmental topics including recycling and sustainability, culture, diversity, innovation, and healthy living. In addition there will be live entertainment, a beer garden, interactive exhibitors, pet adoptions, live artists at work, prize drawings, a treasure hunt, and lots of activities for kids and families.
Also on April 25, it's the KNPR/Republic Services 8th annual FREE Recycling Day event, taking place from 8 a.m. to noon in the radio station's parking lot (1289 S. Torrey Pines). The public is invited to offload everything from metal to glass, clothing to furniture, and unwanted/expired medications to electronic goods. There will also be a free document-shredding service on-site.
• April 20, 2015 16:40 RIP Betty Willis, Brian “Buzz” Leming: It's with sad irony that, just as we posted a reminder about our current Reader Poll, which highlights some of the impressive architectural features to be found around Las Vegas, we learned (via dtlv.com) that last Sunday we lost two Las Vegas legends, with the April 19 passing of both Betty Willis, designer of the legendary "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign and downtown's Blue Angel statue (included in our poll), and also of equally prolific if lesser-known neon designer Brian "Buzz" Leming, who was responsible for such iconic landmarks as the Barbary Coast frontage and the Dunes sign. Willis was aged 91, while Leming was 74 years old. Expect further coverage of both their lives and contributions to Las Vegas style heyday via Question of the Day and the upcoming May issue of the LVA newsletter.
• April 20, 2015 14:00 ATM Fee Reader Tip-Off: Many thanks to the @LVA_Tweet follower who shared another secret about the full-of-surprises Casino Royale (which, we only recently learned, has pool!): Today's tip is that the ATM machine there charges a mere $1 per transaction, which is a bargain for any bar, let alone a Strip casino (where $4.99 and up is the norm; even Dotty's locations charge $2!) We don't want this to go away, so please use this information with discretion (and don't tell anyone else, obviously; this is our little secret). We knew of an obscure local hole-in-the-wall video poker joint that would refund the $2.50 ATM fee, in cash, if you filled out an old-school petty cash slip. It's now "under new management," however, and no one was answering the phone at 2:10 this afternoon, so we're doubtful as to whether the place is even in business.
• April 20, 2015 11:37 Best Building in Vegas: With the current spate of implosions finding Las Vegas in somewhat reflective mode, we addressed our current Reader Poll to the subject of your favorite building or major architectural feature. What encapsulates "Vegas" for you, or brings to mind your most happy memories of Sin City? Or what new addition to you admire or feel inspired by? You'll find links to photo galleries that represent all the options we included (with some surprises discovered along the way, even for us!), or feel free to suggest another idea of your own. Whatever you want to vote for, just be sure to do it before midnight on Tuesday!
• April 20, 2015 10:57 iHeartRadio Pool Party Jumps Ship: The 3rd annual iHeartRadio summer concert spectacular is not being hosted by MGM Grand this year, but instead has moved venue to Caesars Palace, it's been announced. The iHeartRadio Summer Pool Party will kick off on the morning of Saturday, May 30, with an all-day pool party featuring sets by iHeartRadio's house DJs, followed in the evening by live performances by Nick Jonas, Chris Brown, Kelly Clarkson, Nicki Minaj, Shaggy, Echosmith, and additional performers and presenters who have yet to be announced. Tickets, which have a habit of selling out fast for this event, have yet to go on sale, but we do know that the event will stream on Yahoo Live on May 30 at 8 p.m. and be televised on the CW Network on June 11.
• April 20, 2015 10:10 Geek Alert: This April 24-26 the Las Vegas Convention Center hosts the annual Wizard World Las Vegas Comic Con expo, a fanfest featuring appearances from myriad cult TV and movie stars, a Pro-Am "Drink and and Draw" contest at the LINQ Promenade on Friday, an official after-party at Chateau nightclub (Paris) on Saturday, and deeply discounted performances of Evil Dead: The Musical for Comic Con attendees. Check the official website for more details and for registration fees, which vary by event.
• April 20, 2015 09:32 'Secret' Suncoast Buffet Deal: In our eagerness, earlier, to share the word about that great $8.88 dinner-buffet deal, we omitted to specify which Boyd casino we were referring to, so to clarify, that deal is to be found at Suncoast only.
• April 19, 2015 19:04 Disney Buys into Fantasy: Walt Disney Co., known for its fantasy parks, is buying into fantasy of a different kind. Disney has invested $250 million in the Daily Fantasy Sports company Draft Kings, which is second in DFS market share behind FanDuel. The deal reportedly puts Draft Kings' market value at about $900 million.
• April 19, 2015 19:01 Locals Buffet Deal: Locals pay just $8.88 for a dinner buffet Sun.-Thurs. through the end of April. Must show B Connected card. This is a good buffet that's normally $17.99 or $12.99 with the card.
• April 19, 2015 13:44 Fee Charged for May/Pac Weigh-In: If you want to attend the weigh-in for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, it'll cost you $10. The fee is being put in place to help with crowd control and all proceeds will go to charities of the fighters' choosing. It's thought to be the first time there's ever been a fee to view a weigh-in, though there have been instances where fees have been charged to watch fighters train.
• April 19, 2015 11:11 Mighty Marys: If you're looking for a brunchy Bloodie Mary today, Ellis Island has just created a build-your-own station located outside the Cafe. It comes with lemon and lime, celery, olive, bacon, chicken & waffle, and all kinds of hot mixin's for $7. Add a big shrimp for $2. It runs 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Or go to Irene's on Spring Mtn., where they're nowhere near as fancy, but just $2 each on Sundays.
• April 19, 2015 09:11 Henderson Slot Joint Closing: We don't have confirmation, but have heard that MyCasino on Boulder Hwy. will close at the end of the month. This is a slots-only casino that was formerly Mystic Lodge.
• April 18, 2015 18:20 UFC Rockhold/Machida: Luke Rockhold is a -150 favorite over Lyoto Machida in tonight's UFC main event. In the other featured match, Ronaldo Souza is -1300 over Chris Camozzi.
• April 18, 2015 12:51 Club Bonuses Today: Get 3.3X points on slots and 2X on video poker today at all Stations and Fiestas. Suncoast will give away $500 every 15 minutes from 4 to 9 p.m.
• April 18, 2015 09:26 NBA Championship Line: Going into today's first round of the NBA playoffs, the Golden State Warriors have been installed as the +190 favorites to win the championship. They're followed by the Cleveland Cavaliers at +225 and the San Antonio Spurs at +400. The long shots are the Milwaukee Bucks at +35000.
• April 18, 2015 09:19 fresh52 at Tivoli Village: This is just a quick reminder that today sees a special expanded version of the regular fresh52 farmers market at its newest gig at Tivoli Village, with an additional 20 vendors added to the normal quota (bringing the total up to around 100!), plus lots of free family entertainment, demos, and workshops. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; see our coverage in this column earlier this the week for more details.
• April 17, 2015 17:41 Big Wheels of Cash at Downtown Grand: Throughout April and May, Downtown Grand hosts the "$250,000 Big Wheels of Cash" promo each Friday and Saturday. Earn one drawing ticket for every 500 base points earned during the week (with 5X drawing tix every Monday and Wednesday), then earn one point before 8 p.m. on Fri/Sat to be entered into the first drawing, which will generate three winner. Thereafter, three lucky "hot seat" winners will be drawn randomly between 9 and 11 p.m. from among all active slot players; winners spin the "Big Wheels of Cash" machine for prizes awarded in free play, with a grand prize of $250,000 in cash, which has yet to be won.
• April 17, 2015 17:18 Win Some, Lose Some Day for Elvis Fans: Due to a perceived disconnect with Graceland's vision for the new Elvis suite of entertainment offerings coming to the Westgate, the annual Vegas Elvis Festival has been cancelled this year. The organizers apologize to all those fans who will be disappointed by this news, but encourage them to visit www.ElvisFestival.com for information about other similar events that they will be staging elsewhere in 2015, at locations including Lake George (NY), Myrtle Beach, Memphis, Portage (IN), and Ocean City (MD).
• April 17, 2015 15:28 Want #MayPac Tix? You're Prob SOL: With two announced public ticket-sale launches having failed to materialize now, the informed speculation is that it ain't ever going to happen and ticket re-sellers will likely be the only source for members of the general public (including 'A' list Hollywood celebrities), who can expect to pay through the nose for what will be some of the hottest seats in Vegas' history (already in early March ringside seats were going for $30K, and now that's closer to the $70K mark). See today's coverage by Bloomberg Business for more information and insights into what's arguably the biggest fight (at least money-wise) in boxing history.
• April 17, 2015 15:23 Elvis is Back ... and Bigger Than Ever: Elvis fans (with the probable exception of Trent Carlini) can celebrate as their idol readies to make a big comeback at his former home-from-home at the former International/Las Vegas Hilton. Tickets are now on sale at Graceland.com/Vegas (or call 800-238-2000) for both "Elvis: The Exhibition" ($22) and Elvis: The Experience," the live stage show (starting at $58.95), both of which debut at what is now Westgate Las Vegas on April 23. It'll be the first time that Elvis has been "in the building" in 40 years (not counting his statue, and even that got moved outside a good few years ago). Check out the official website for more details about both new attractions.
• April 17, 2015 10:11 Bikini Wars?: It's come to our attention that the 2015 pool season will see a new player in the bikini-contest arena, previous dominated by SpyOnVegas' "Hot 100," about to enter its eighth season at MGM Grand's Wet Republic. Other pools, including Hooters and Planet Hollywood, have traditionally staged some amateur bikini contests, but nothing on the scale of the Hot 100's $150K prize pool; until now, that is... Today sees the 2015 debut of Drai's Beach Club at The Cromwell, and it's been announced that on Sunday, April 26, the venue will host an open casting call for what it's dubbing "The Ultimate Bikini Contest," which will feature a $160K prize pool (you see what they did there?!), including $50K for the grand finale winner. However, as the official ads for this year's Hot 100 contest put it, "it's all-out warfare," and evidently they're not only referring to the competitors: It's been announced that the granddaddy of Vegas bikini contests is upping the ante this year, with the top five contestants now having the chance to spin a wheel at their Grand Finale event on Friday, Aug. 21, for a shot at $1 million!
• April 17, 2015 09:53 Two New H'son Restaurants Hiring: The Galleria at Sunset Mall's ongoing upgrade/expansion will see two new eateries debut late May, and they're both hiring for the full range of front and back-of-house positions, including cooks, dishwashers, hosts/hostesses, bartenders, and servers. Bravo! Cucina Italiana is instructing interested candidates to submit an application online at workatbravo.com or in person at the Residence Inn (2190 Olympic Ave.), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. or Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Larsen's Grill, on the other hand, will be hosting a job fair at the new location inside Galleria at Sunset this Saturday, April 18. Application forms will be available on site and you're encouraged to bring an up-to-date resume; interviews are slated from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• April 16, 2015 14:46 Wet 'n' Wild Season Pass Promo: Now through April 19 only, purchase three season passes for Wet 'n' Wild on the west side and receive one additional pass for free; that works out at $56.24 per pass, with unlimited access for the entire 120+-day 2015 season. A payment plan is also available, so you can spread the cost over three installments.
• April 16, 2015 12:48 Las Vegas This Weekend: It's another pretty epic one, with the promise of good weather for all the outside stuff:
- The comedy quotient kicks off with Paul Bond and Penny Price at the Riviera (4/16-19), plus Dennis Miller at the Orleans (4/17-18), and Jerry Seinfeld at Caesars Palace (4/17-18)
- Thomas & Mack welcomes The Equestrian World Cup (4/15-19)
- The Rio hosts the 14th Annual Pure Aloha cultural festival,with food, fun, and music for all ages (4/16-19)
- Buck-O-Nine take center stage at Backstage Bar & Billiards (4/17)
- Nashville Unplugged returns to Sunset Station, with Jim McBride and co-host Michael Peterson (4/17)
- Otherwise perform at Fremont Country Club (4/17)
- The Smith Center welcomes the Ramsey Lewis Trio (4/17-18) and An Evening with Bruce Hornsby (4/18)
- Diana Ross performs again at Venetian (4/17-18)
- The Equestrian Park hosts the Save a Life 5K Fun Run & Walk (4/18)
- Town Square hosts the 25th Annual AIDS Walk (4/19)
- New Zealand singer Kimbra takes the stage at Hard Rock Live (4-18)
- The Four Tops are at the Cannery (4/18)
- The Tropicana welcomes ARTrageous inside the Havana Room (4/18)
- And Vinyl at the Hard Rock hosts The Dan Band (4/17) followed by comedian Andrew Dice Clay (4/18-19), while Three Day Grace (4/17) and Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo (4/18) take center stage in The Joint (4/18)
• April 16, 2015 10:47 Refund Check-Cashing Promos: No doubt more will come to light as we dig around, but for now be aware of the following incentives being offered if you have an IRS tax-refund check you'd like to cash:
- As is its tradition, the El Cortez Hotel & Casino downtown is extending its regular paycheck-cashing promo to Tax Return Checks: Cash your IRS refund, or other government-issued check, or a payroll check from any Clark County Gaming property, and receive 5% of your check in free play, up to $50 max. Must be a Club Cortez member; for additional rules see the casino cage/players club.
- At Silver Sevens Casino, now through April 20 cash or withdraw your Instant Tax Refund check at the main cage and receive one ticket to be entered into that week’s drawing, to be held on Monday, April 20, for a chance to win up to $500 in free slot play. Winners will be chosen between 3:00-4:00 p.m. and have until 3 p.m. the following Monday to claim their prize. Winners will be posted at the cage.
- Henderson's Club Fortune casino is also offering a slot-play bonus: Cash your paychecks or government issued checks at the cage and receive and additional 5% of your check balance in slot free play, up to a limit of $125/check (check amount not to exceed $2,500 for tax refunds, or $1,500 per paycheck, approved by Ditronics, up to a limit of $75 in slot play).
- Cannery's hosts its "Tax Refund to Riches" $10,000 finale drawing on Friday, April 17, so today is the last day to earn points for entries. Cash your refund check or earn points (or improve your chances by doing both!) The drawing takes place at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow evening.
• April 16, 2015 10:38 SlotZilla Fundraiser Today: The Fremont Street Experience and Slotzilla are joint-hosting a charity ride from noon to 6 p.m. today, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association as a precursor to the Firefighters of Southern Nevada's annual "boot drive." Valley firefighters, representatives from the MDA, some local news anchors, and others will be participating in today's event; tickets are $20 each for the Zipline and $40 for the Zoomline and 100% of proceeds will go to benefit MDA Nevada.
• April 16, 2015 10:04 North American Meetings Industry Today: Today sees the inaugural event for this new celebration of the meeting and event-organizing industry, which according to the LVCVA, is responsible locally for supporting 54,000 local jobs and generating more than $7 billion per year in revenues. If you feel like finding out more, get over to The LINQ Promenade for some corporate networking from 10 a.m. today. For more information, check out the official Vegas Means Business YouTube presentation and use hashtags #NAMID15 #MeetingsMeanBusiness on Twitter to aggregate all the relevant tweets.
• April 16, 2015 09:42 It's Officially Spring (Unofficially): State mascot, "spokestortoise" for the wild Gopherus agassizii and herus agassizii of the Mojave Desert, and long-time weather predictor Mojave Max finally emerged from his brumation yesterday afternoon, heralding the unofficial start of springtime in Nevada. It's the second-latest date on which 35-year old Max has appeared from his burrow home at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, since the inaugural annual "Mojave Max" Emergence Contest back in 2000; the latest was on April 17 in 2012.
• April 15, 2015 13:56 Leach Love for Whale Hunter: Check out the latest Vegas Deluxe post from Las Vegas gossip columnist Robin Leach, in which he interviews Steve Cyr, the subject of Huntington Press' best seller Whale Hunt in the Desert, newly released in an updated third edition to reflect the explosion of the club/daylife scene and the effects of the Great Recession on casinos and their biggest players.
• April 15, 2015 13:38 Duck Family Musical Debuts: Tonight's the night for the latest attempt to transfer a reality-TV show to the stage, with the official post-previews premiere at the Rio of The Duck Commander Musical which, as seasoned R-J entertainment columnist Mike Weatherford puts it, "may face the highest burden of proof of any stage musical in our young century." The show has already been at the center of a storm of controversy, in light of some very public anti-gay utterances by family patriarch Phil Robertson, but the rest of the family and the creative crew seem to have put this unfortunate hiccup behind them; now it just remains to be seen whether or not this duck story will fly...
• April 15, 2015 12:53 Elvis Car on Display at Palms: We're not sure why Elvis' 1971 Stutz Blackhawk is on display at the Palms, of all places,, when the upcoming Julien's Auctions "Music Icons" celebrity-memorabilia sale, in which it is included, is taking place at the Hard Rock in New York on May 15-16 and, if anything, the King's home-away-from-home here was the Westgate, where a new Elvis tribute extravaganza debuts April 23. Whatever the reason, you can catch an up-close look at this gorgeous vintage vehicle, which is expected to reach between $400,000 and $600,000, on the casino floor at the Palms now through April 22.
• April 15, 2015 11:44 State Tax Increase Proposed for Live Fights: The Nevada entertainment scene has been taking something of a pounding from the Tax Man of late, first with the ruling that gentlemen's clubs must pay LET, unlike nightclubs, followed by the IRS' proposal do drop the taxable threshold for gambling jackpots, and now word that the Nevada Athletic Commission this week asked state lawmakers to increase taxes on tickets to live boxing and MMA events by 2 percent, to 8 percent, with the argument that this would make the commission organizationally self-sufficient, with a governor-appointed head, while allowing for expanded pre-fight drug testing (an evident dig at the UFC for some recent high-profile positive post-fight results).
• April 15, 2015 11:06 Get Happy with Ra Sushi Today: Another restaurant offering a "take the pain out of Tax Day" all-day happy hour is Ra Sushi in the Fashion Show Mall, where you'll find appetizers starting at $3.29 and entrees for $8.99 or less, plus specials on beer, sake, and signature cocktails from right now until closing time.
• April 15, 2015 10:36 Fresh52 Goes Big: This Saturday, April 18, fresh52 Farmers Market is pushing out the boat at its newest location at Tivoli Village. In honor of the new spring-harvest season, this special edition of the weekly organic/sustainable produce and modern-crafts sale will feature more than 20 new vendors (pushing the total up to more than 100), plus cooking demons, family crafts, the ongoing Master Gardeners Workshop series, from 9 a.m. to 4.p.m. The main stage area will also feature 20 children’s games, with prizes and a petting zoo, with La La Photography on hand to provide family photos for the discounted rate of $5.
• April 15, 2015 10:34 Stop the Presses! One Tax Promo Down: A Tax Day promo at the D/Golden Gate casinos that was previously on the preceding list was abruptly canceled as of 6 a.m. this morning, as communicated by @LVA_Tweet follower @SubwayMike (thanks for the heads-up!). There's speculation of all sorts as to the reason, but we can confidently say that this one was just a bit too generous to attract the type of customer the casinos were looking for. It's an interesting case study that will be fleshed out in the May issue of the LVA member newsletter.
• April 15, 2015 10:19 Happy Tax Day!: You still have 20 minutes to enjoy a free coffee on Zappos (see below), and here, for the last time, is our round-up of all the other Tax Day promos and special offers going on around town this April 15:
- There's a Tax-Day matchplay deal at Home Plate Bar & Grill on Blue Diamond Rd. just west of Silverton. (Play between 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and get the free Gambler's Pizza Buffet with your $20 buy-in, too!)
- Outback Steakhouse locations are offering a 15% discount on your entire lunch or dinner check today (alcohol excluded) now through Sunday, April 19, upon presentation of this coupon.
- Silverton is holding a $5K "Tax Day Card-In Cash-Out" cash giveaway for logged-in players from 4-8 p.m. today, with a guaranteed $500 cash prize awarded every half hour, culminating in a $1,000 "Power Hour" winner at 8 p.m.
- Cannery Casino hosts the $10,000 finale "Tax Refund to Riches" drawing tomorrow, April 16, with a first-place prize of $1,099 (second gets $1,040, thereafter the prizes shrink to $100). To enter, cash your refund check or present an electronic tax-refund receipt at the casino cage. Also, if you have an online account with BorgataCasino.com, you can sign in from a Mac or PC on April 15 and get up to $1,040 in bonus dollars.
- Sonic locations are offering half-price cheeseburgers all day today and Pizza Hut has a new Tax Day promo for 2015, with the first-ever "Pizza Return" promo featuring gift cards ranging from $10-$50 up for grabs. To be eligible to win, fill out the form at pizzareturn.com then print and mail it no later than April 18. A random drawing will take place on April 21.
- Shoe retailer Zappos is generously offering to purchase a morning coffee for tax filers throughout the entire valley, courtesy of 19 different participating businesses -- check out the list courtesy of Fox5vegas.com. Offer runs from regular opening time at each individual business through 10 a.m.
- Both Arizona Charlie's locations (Decatur and Boulder) will be simultaneously hosting a "Tax Relief Hot Seat" giveaway today, with four ace PLAY club member slot players guaranteed to win cash at 12:15 p.m., 2:15 pm., 4:15 p.m., 6:15 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. (red and green members receive $500 cash; orange and blue-tier members receive $250).
- Suncoast is hosting a one-off "Quadzilla Day!" promo in the poker room today: Any four of a kind made on fourth street or fifth street will be paid at the posted high-hand amount; valid on all Texas hold'em cash games this Wednesday only, from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (see the poker room for complete details).
- Mandalay Bay is offering its traditional last-minute filing incentive: Take advantage of the tax-filing station located in the parking lot near to Shark Reef and receive a complimentary admission to the attraction. (Note: Even if you've already filed, you can simply mail an envelope addressed to the IRS from that location for a free ticket, anyhow!)
- The Rio has tax-day themed food-and-drink specials property-wide, including bottles of Trinity Oaks wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio, and pinot noir) available for $10.99 today only for guests at the Carnival World buffet; the $20.14 Chilled Maine Lobster special in VooDoo steakhouse; and $10.99 cocktail specials available at All-American Bar & Grille ("The Tax Man"), Hash House a Go Go (signature Bloody Mary), VooDoo Rooftop Nightclub ("The Color of Money), VooDoo Steak (the "Income Tax"), Martorano's, and VooDoo Steak. (Ask your server for any other Tax Day menu promos, too.)
- For a useful, non-edible/drinkable offer, check out the free document-shredding services being offered by Office Depot (up to 2 pounds max, available through April 25 with printed coupon/proof on your smartphone) and Staples (good for up to 5 pounds of free shredding and running through May 2).
- Trevi Italian Restaurant in the Forum Shops at Caesars has an all-day happy hour today, featuring $6 "Trevi Bites" (stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari, tomato bruschetta, etc.), plus frozen Bellinis for $4, bottled beers for $5, and glasses of wine/signature cocktails for $7.
- And last but not least, Winder Farms, the local purveyor of fresh produce to your door, is offering free samples of its award-winning Chocolate Milk to last-minute filers
at the James C. Brown Jr. Post Office (Sunset and Paradise) on April 15, from 4 p.m., plus sign-up at winderfarms.com/tax anytime throughout the month of April to receive $30 in free groceries!
• April 14, 2015 18:00 Tax-Day Matchplay: Don't forget the $20 tax-day matchplay at Home Plate bar on Blue Diamond Rd. just west of Silverton. You can play one today and one tomorrow. Try their good pizza while you're at it, or play tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and get the free Gambler's Pizza Buffet with your $20 buy-in.
• April 14, 2015 15:52 Favorite Architecture, The Poll: Our survey of your favorite Las Vegas building or architectural feature has a week left to run, and frankly we are stunned by the current result (not shocked, but definitely very surprised); if you haven't yet voted, it's time to show some love for this city's hidden treasures (scroll through our photo galleries within the "Other" option and we swear, somehow this former cultural wasteland starts to look like a style mecca for the ages! We think you'll be as (pleasantly) surprised as we were, once we started compiling our brick, mortar, metal, and marble highlights...)
• April 14, 2015 15:34 More Tax Relief Goodness: Entering the fray of those businesses aiming to take some of the sting out of Tax Day is Outback Steakhouse, which is offering a 15% discount on your entire lunch or dinner check (excluding booze and ... applicable tax!) now through Sunday, April 19, upon presentation of this coupon.
• April 14, 2015 15:10 Undiluted Aloha: This weekend sees the 14th annual Pure Aloha festival, hosted in the Rio's Pavilion parking lot, with lots of live bands, both local and from afar, Island food specials, craft vendors, carnival rides, and more. The fun kicks off at 5 p.m. Thursday and runs through Sunday; GA tickets to the event are $8 ($6 concessions), while additional cover charges apply for the evening concerts -- see Vizzun.com for more info. and to purchase discounted advance tix.
• April 14, 2015 14:22 Dust Update (Storm Warning!): What was earlier considered a dust "advisory" for the more vulnerable has now been upgraded to a full-on dust-storm warning, with potentially hazardous driving conditions predicted for western Clark County and southern Nye County, including Amargosa Valley, Pahrump, and Indian Springs. Winds as strong as 60 mph in the area are expected, with instances of blowing sand and dust, power outages, and debris in roadways already being reported and visibility likely to worsen to between zero and a quarter-mile. Conditions should calm down by Wednesday morning, but in the meantime, take extra care on our roads which, as we all know, are dangerous enough at the best of times.
• April 14, 2015 13:41 FREE ICE CREAM Reminder: Don't forget amid all the Tax Day-freebie excitement for tomorrow that TODAY is the day to enjoy your complimentary cone, courtesy of Ben & Jerry's, available until 8 p.m. (while supplies last) at B&J locations in Sunset Station and The District at GVR.
• April 14, 2015 12:00 Vegas Tax Day Promos and Info: As is customary, various venues around the Vegas Valley are doing their bit to sweeten the pill a little this April 15. Here are some of the promos and deals we've come across, in no particular order (with thanks to Gaming Today columnist and LVA correspondent, Scot Krause, for his input). Look out for additional coverage in this column and in the LVA newsletter with regard to refund check-cashing incentives):
- Taxable Tuesdays at Silverton: Win a taxable jackpot any Tuesday in April and receive a free beach towel plus, on April 15 only, there will be a $5K "Tax Day Card-In Cash-Out" cash giveaway for logged-in players from 4-8 p.m., with a guaranteed $500 cash prize awarded every half hour, culminating in a $1,000 "Power Hour" winner at 8 p.m.
- Cannery Casino hosts the $10,000 finale "Tax Refund to Riches" drawing on April 16, with a first-place prize of $1,099 (second gets $1,040, thereafter the prizes shrink to $100). To enter, cash your refund check or present an electronic tax-refund receipt at the casino cage. Also, if you have an online account with BorgataCasino.com, you can sign in from a Mac or PC on April 15 and get up to $1,040 in bonus dollars.
- Sonic locations will be offering half-price cheeseburgers all day on April 15; Pizza Hut is offering a new promo this year, with the introduction of its first-ever "Pizza Return," with gift cards ranging from $10-$50 up for grabs. To be eligible to win, customers must fill out a (tongue-in-cheek) form at pizzareturn.com then print and mail it no later than April 18. A random drawing will take place on April 21, or thereabouts.
- Shoe retailer Zappos is generously offering to purchase a morning coffee for tax filers throughout the entire valley, courtesy of 19 different participating businesses -- check out the list courtesy of Fox5vegas.com. Offer runs from regular opening time at each individual business through 10 a.m.
- Both Arizona Charlie's locations (Decatur and Boulder) will be simultaneously hosting a "Tax Relief Hot Seat" giveaway, with four ace PLAY club member slot players guaranteed to win cash at 12:15 p.m., 2:15 pm., 4:15 p.m., 6:15 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. (red and green members receive $500 cash; orange and blue-tier members receive $250).
- Suncoast is hosting a one-off "Quadzilla Day!" promo in the poker room on April 15: Any four of a kind made on fourth street or fifth street will be paid at the posted high-hand amount; valid on all Texas hold'em cash games this Wednesday only, from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (see the poker room for complete details).
- Downtown at the D and the Golden Gate, hit a taxable jackpot on April 15 on any house slot/video poker game and the casino will cover your tax bill -- in free slot play. See Club 1906/Club D for more info.
- Mandalay Bay is offering its perennial last-minute filing incentive: Take advantage of the tax-filing station located in the parking lot near to Shark Reef and receive a complimentary admission to the attraction. (Note: Even if you've already filed, you can simply mail an envelope addressed to the IRS from that location for a free ticket, anyhow!)
- The Rio will be awash with tax-day themed food-and-drink specials, like the $10.99 special-priced bottles of Trinity Oaks wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio, and pinot noir) available Wednesday for guests at the Carnival World buffet; the $20.14 Chilled Maine Lobster special in VooDoo steakhouse; and $10.99 cocktail specials available at All-American Bar & Grille ("The Tax Man"), Hash House a Go Go (signature Bloody Mary), VooDoo Rooftop Nightclub ("The Color of Money), VooDoo Steak (the "Income Tax"), Martorano's, and VooDoo Steak. (Ask your server for any other Tax Day menu promos, too.)
- For a useful, non-edible/drinkable offer, check out the free document-shredding services being offered by Office Depot (up to 2 pounds max, available through April 25 with printed coupon/proof on your smartphone) and Staples (good for up to 5 pounds of free shredding and running through May 2).
- Trevi Italian Restaurant in the Forum Shops at Caesars will be marking Tax Day with an all-day happy hour on Wednesday, April 15, featuring $6 "Trevi Bites" (stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari, tomato bruschetta, etc.), plus frozen Bellinis for $4, bottled beers for $5, and glasses of wine/signature cocktails for $7.
- Winder Farms, the local purveyor of fresh produce to your door, is offering free samples of its award-winning Chocolate Milk to last-minute filers
at the James C. Brown Jr. Post Office (Sunset and Paradise) on April 15, from 4 p.m., plus sign-up at winderfarms.com/tax anytime throughout the month of April to receive $30 in free groceries!
Note: We're endeavoring to ascertain whether BLT Steak at Bally's is joining all the other BLT Steak/BLT Prime locations nationwide in offering to "take the stress out of Tax Day" with half-off all cocktails, beer, wines by the glass, and bottles of wine on April 15. It looks like the answer is "no" (why?!), but we can't confirm until we get to speak with a human being on property after 3:30 p.m.
In the meantime, if you know of a good Tax Day promo that we've missed, please email csAThuntingtonpressDOTcom, or else drop us a line via @LVA_Tweet. Also, remember it's not too late to download a copy of our expert Tax Help for Gamblers 2015 edition, which could be the best eight bucks you ever spent, if declaring taxable winnings/losses figures in your annual filing...
• April 14, 2015 09:19 Dust Advisory Issued: Anticipated wind gusts at up to 50 mph later today have prompted the Department of Air Quality to issue a high wind warning for the Vegas Valley, effective immediately, and a dust advisory for Clark County that comes into effect from 2 p.m., running through the evening. Children, the elderly, and those with respiratory disorders of any type are recommended to stay indoors if possible.
• April 14, 2015 08:03 Pit Boss in Parade: Parade magazine’s "What People Earn" issue included a "Fallbrook, Calif. casino pit boss," with annual earnings of $73,350. The two Las Vegas connections in the list were distinctly high end: DJ Calvin Harris at an estimated $66 million and boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. at an estimated $105 million, the latter of whom is represented on the cover.
• April 13, 2015 15:04 Restaurant Anniversaries: All through this month, South Point's Asian eatery Zenshin is offering 10% off all menu items (excluding happy hour items, and it's a 15% discount for employees) in celebration of its anniversary, while Double Barrel Roadhouse is celebrating a year on the Strip (a year? already?!) this April 16 with a prix-fixe menu for $35, a complimentary birthday shot with the purchase of any regularly priced premium cocktail throughout the day, and a free nighttime concert from locals Adelitas Way.
• April 13, 2015 12:58 Honey Salt Honors Jefferson with Historical Menu: The Farm Table dinner series from Summerlin's Honey Salt continues this evening, with a menu that pays tribute to Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, who is said to have introduced the nation to the wonders of both vanilla ice cream and mac & cheese, and celebrates his birthday April 13. Tonight's dinner, being served from 6:30 p.m. (reservations are required), will feature baked oysters, deviled eggs, a whole roasted turkey, salad, side vegetables, and a blueberry dessert for $45/person (a beverage pairing is offered for an additional $25).
• April 13, 2015 10:14 The Circus is Coming to Town...: Following recent announcements, it will presumably be a Circus XTREME sans elephants that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will be bringing to Thomas & Mack this June 11 – 14. Tickets start at $20 and go on sale this Sat., April 18, for what's still billed as "The Greatest Show on Earth" and today features an international cast of human acrobats/daredevils and exotic animals performing an array of contemporary acts (think "BMX") and iconic circus traditions.
• April 13, 2015 09:32 FREE Ice Cream Tuesday!: A heads-up that April 14 is the 37th Annual Ben & Jerry's "Free Cone Day" celebrity-scooping fundraiser, to be hosted by the B&J's Scoop Shops at the District at Green Valley Ranch and inside Sunset Station. Show up between noon and 8 p.m. at either location and you not only may receive a free cone, but there's a chance you'll be served by a celebrity, with the likes of George Wallace, Matt Kazam, Josh Strickland, Zowie Bowie, the cast of Fantasy, and Dirk Vermin all scooping for the cause throughout the event. Donations go to benefit the CASA Foundation, which aims to provide financial and legal assistance to foster children.
• April 13, 2015 09:29 New Veggie Dining Option Downtown: VegeNation, the long-anticipated strictly vegan addition to Carson Avenue's growing array of gastronomic offerings (Carson Kitchen, Glutton, Eat, etc.) debuted Sunday and reopens at noon today for lunch. The menu has been circulating for several months now and we have so say it looks intriguing; right now hours are 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily (10 p.m. on the weekend) but breakfast is expected to be added to the lineup soon. Note that local craft brews are available, by the way, in addition to the array of smoothies and exotic teas.
• April 12, 2015 13:15 Gambling-Movie Premier: The premier of the golfing/gambling movie The Squeeze is tonight at Wynn Las Vegas. It's based on a true story and it's open to the public for a $25 donation that goes to Three Square.
• April 12, 2015 12:59 Opera House Closed: Looks like we're a little behind the curve on this one, but we've just learned that the Opera House in North Las Vegas has closed. Best we can tell it closed around the end of February and a sale is being sought.
• April 12, 2015 12:55 Calling All Drag Queens (and Kings): In honor of Hard Rock Cafe's attempt today to host the "Largest Drag Stage Show," Clark County is hereafter recognizing April 12 as Las Vegas' official Drag Queen Day. The show at Hard Rock (4475 Paradise Rd.) represents an up-sizing of the regular monthly drag brunch that runs till 2 p.m., with long-standing Vegas Strip performer Josh Strickland serving as MC and additional entertainment including a fundraising raffle for The Center. All are welcome to attend and participate in the record-breaking occasion by (cross-) dressing up and channeling their feistiest inner diva. Those in full drag will be rewarded with a complimentary mimosa and the folks from Glam Squad 702 will be on hand throughout the day to lend a hand and ensure everyone's stage-ready.
• April 12, 2015 10:03 Sunday Funday 15 Poker Tournament at Noon: Registration is now open for our "Sunday Funday 15" poker tournament. Play begins at noon PST/3 p.m. EST today. Prizes are $100 for first; a Full LVA membership for second, our new poker book Flop, Turn, River for third, and prizes for all final-table contestants, including books and gift cards. There's also a "bubble" prize this month for 10th place. See the entire prize pool and register to play at the LVA Casino (once signed in, click on "Poker Tournaments" and register for Tourney ID 8268). This tournament is completely free to play. There will also be other tourneys running all day for gift cards and play chips. Come have some fun! See you at noon.
• April 12, 2015 09:47 Masters Line: Going into today's final round of the Masters golf tournament, Jordan Spieth, sitting on a four-stroke lead, is a -225 favorite to win. Justin Rose is +460, Phil Mickelson is +575, and the field, which includes all other players, is +1475.
• April 11, 2015 16:13 Work Ongoing at Westgate: Several detours are in place on the casino floor of Westgate Las Vegas, where a marble walkway running through the middle of the casino is being put down. Additionally, a new bar called International (a nod to the casino's original name) has opened near the front door, work on a revamp of the SuperBook is due to begin soon, and the new permanent Elvis Presley attraction, "Graceland Presents Elvis: The Exhibition - The Show - The Experience," is set to open April 23.
• April 11, 2015 15:45 Atlantic City Baccarat Ruling Upheld: A New Jersey judge has held up an earlier ruling that gamblers in Atlantic City who won $1.5 million playing a mini-baccarat game where the cards weren't shuffled must return the money. The event took place at the Golden Nugget in 2012 and the original ruling was made earlier this year. The gamblers asked her to reconsider and she did, but came back with the same ruling. The gamblers still have the option to appeal.
• April 11, 2015 15:35 Celebrando at Cannery: The Cannery hosts the Celebrando Hispanic Festival today, featuring food, music, and other cultural offerings and diversions until 9 p.m. GA is $10/$50 VIP (children under 12 are $5).
• April 11, 2015 14:26 Free Poker Tourney Tomorrow: Reserve some time tomorrow to play in our 15th Sunday Funday online poker tournament. First place gets $100 and everyone at the final table will win a prize. The game kicks off at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST. It's completely free to play, with registration beginning two hours before the tournament at the LVA Casino.
• April 11, 2015 12:20 Happenings at Tivoli Today: In addition to the regular Fresh 52 Farmers Market today, Tivoli Village is also hosting the Spring Fling Cornhole Tournament (aka "Throw-Chella") and Tailgate Grill Out from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., courtesy of Made LV.
• April 10, 2015 16:11 Maid Milan's Murderer Gets Two Life Sentences: It was back in June, 2013, that the dismembered body of Ladonna Milam, a hotel maid at the Hacienda hotel, was found in a Boulder City lake (see Question of the Day 2/16/15 for the back story). Now, more than a decade later, her killer, who has been in and out of psychiatric care since his trial, has finally been sentenced, having been found mentally competent, with a judge today handing 41-year-old Perry Carl Monroe two life sentences without the possibility of parole.
• April 10, 2015 15:08 Classic Cash Giveaway at the Riv: Here's a reminder that the Riviera continues to go out with a bang, with April's "Classic Cash Giveaway" celebrating the Strip veteran's 60th, and final, anniversary this month. There's than $500,000 in cash prizes up for grabs this month, with Riviera Rewards Club members receiving an entry, for every 600 points earned, into special Classic Cash Giveaway drawings at 7 p.m. nightly, Sunday through Friday, for cash prizes up to $10,000, plus a weekly $6,000 prize each Saturday. 2nd through 9th place winners each receive $1,000 in cash ($600 on Saturdays), with a grand prize of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle to be awarded to one winner on Saturday, April 25.
• April 10, 2015 14:39 Hagar Hosts Downtown Party: "Red Rocker" Sammy Hagar and his band, The Circle, host a FREE album-release party tonight at the Golden Nugget from 6-10 p.m., ahead of their concert tomorrow night at the Downtown Events Center. Tonight's shindig will feature a screening of the band's new video for "Poundcake," live music from hair-metal tribute band Spandex Nation, and signature Beach Bar Rum drink specials.
• April 10, 2015 09:53 One Small Step for Uber: Although the state Senate Commerce, Labor and Energy committee unanimously passed a bill Thursday that allows for the potential legalization of ride-share apps like Uber, some members explained that their 'yes' vote was solely in order to enable further inquiry into areas including safety regulation and driver vetting, and and Senate Bill 439 is expected to face some stiff opposition when it reaches the Senate floor.
• April 10, 2015 09:39 Lights Out, Hoses Off at Revel: As Associated Press correspondent Wayne Parry observes, it hasn't exactly been a warm welcome from Atlantic City for Revel;s new owner, with Florida investor Glenn Straub hit with the double whammy as provider ACR cut off all utilities Thursday, and the city threatened him with multiple-thousand dollar-a-day fines until the water and electricity-less property complies with fire-safety requirements. The disgruntled Straub is already threatening to return to Florida and cry a plague on all their houses if his promised Atlantic City rescue mission continues to be unappreciated.
• April 9, 2015 18:37 Ready Your Screwdrivers - Here Comes IKEA: The iconic Swedish furniture store is set to open a 351,000-square-foot superstore in the southwest area of the Las Vegas Valley in the summer of 2016, reports VegasInc. The groundbreaking at the 26-acre site -- for which the company paid a whopping $819,328 per acre -- took place today. (The current writer once attempted to shop at an IKEA in London, but emerged with only a lemon squeezer, some light bulbs, and a bottle of vodka. Just sayin'...)
• April 9, 2015 15:19 New Reason to Go 'Over the Hump'?: According to ToplessVegasOnline.com, there could soon be a new reason to visit Pahrump, aside from the legal brothels, hydro jetpacks, and Heidi Fleiss. Yes, apparently coming (back) soon will be Kingdom Gentlemen’s Club -- a topless club ... in a castle! Playboy Mansion, eat your heart out.
• April 9, 2015 14:11 Rock in Rio Gets Single: Yes, a limited number of one-day tickets are now available for both Rock in Rio weekends (May 8-9 for rock, May 15-16 for pop). GA is $169, while single day VIP tix are already close to selling out, even though they are $498 each! So, party people, you'd better hurry while supplies last...
• April 9, 2015 13:17 Las Vegas This Weekend: There's a LOT going on even by Vegas standards, it would appear, so if you can't find something that interests you, check your pulse as you're most likely dead:
- The comedy kicks off with Ron Kenny and John Bizarre at the Riviera (4/10-12), Billy Gardell at TI (4/10), and Andrew Dice Clay at Hard Rock's Vinyl (4/11-12)
- The ever-popular Frankie Moreno and his band return to Red Rock (4/11), preceded by the latest "In Its Entirety" concert tribute, which this week features a Beatles double bill of "Sgt. Pepper" AND "Abbey Road" (4/10)
- South Point welcomes Ma'Ceo Acrobatic Equestrian Experience (4/9-12) and Illusionist Rick Thomas (4/10-12)
- Barry Manilow returns to the MGM Grand (4/10), as does Fleetwood Mack (4/11)
- Silverton presents the "Born to Be Wild Tour," featuring original band members from Steppenwolf and Pegasus (4/10)
- For Elvis fans, Brandon Bennett brings "Elvis My Way" to the Suncoast (4/10-11)
- Clean Bandit take center stage at Brooklyn Bowl (4/10)
- Contortion with Rule of Thumb perform at downtown's Backstage Bar & Billiards (4/10)
- Country star Mark Irwin, with co-host Michael Peterson, is at Sunset Station's Club Madrid (4/10), where Colin Raye also takes the spotlight (4/11)
- Hard Rock features Nonpoint at Vinyl (4/10) and Sixx:A.M. at The Joint (4/10)
- That's not to be confused with Hard Rock Live on the Strip, which hosts The Largest Drag Stage Show - both genders welcome, just be sure to dress (in)appropriately (4/12)
- Diana Ross performs at Venetian (4/10-11)
- The Osmonds are at the Orleans (4/10-12)
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga perform together again at Axis at Planet Hollywood (4/10-11)
- Cannery hosts the Celebrando Hispanic Festival (4/11)
- Tivoli Village hosts the Spring Fling Cornhole Tournament & Tailgate Grill Out (4/11
- It's the annual PT's-sponsored Motorcycles & Mutts Poker Run fundraiser for the Animal Foundation (4/11)
- Sammy Hagar and The Circle are in the spotlight at the Downtown Events Center (4/11)
- Drift back to the '60s with Jay & The Americans at Eastside Cannery (4/11) and/or Musical Memoirs of the '60s at Sante Fe Station ((4/12)
- And last but not least, Steely Dan takes the spotlight at The Pearl at the Palms (4/11)
• April 9, 2015 12:47 Best Building in Vegas - The Poll: We had some technical issues with the photo galleries that accompany the new Reader Poll about your favorite piece of Las Vegas architecture, which went live yesterday, so if you couldn't see them and need a reminder of any of the suggestions we offered, here's a recap:
If your personal pick isn't on the list, use the "Other" choice and please email us what and why. Thanks!
• April 9, 2015 11:16 Favorito Folds at Flamingo: Comedian Vinnie Favorito's long run on the Strip ended abruptly Saturday, with the closure of his show at the Flamingo due to personal financial issues, we gather from R-J entertainment columnist Mike Weatherford.
• April 9, 2015 09:20 LINQ Celebrations: In recognition of their first anniversary, The LINQ Promenade and High Roller observation wheel are celebrating this month. Each Thursday in April there will be free live entertainment on The LINQ Fountain Stage and there's an ongoing exhibit from local photographer Denise Truscello highlighting the construction of the High Roller. In addition, a model of the observation wheel, built by Lego Brick artist Adam Reed Tucker, will be unveiled on April 30, followed by a Grand Opening celebration on May 1 (details TBA).
• April 8, 2015 17:29 Adam Richman Goes 'Off Menu': In tonight's episode of Travel Channel's "Man Finds Food," presenter Adam Richman returns to Las Vegas to foray both off-piste (i.e., non-casino hideaways) and off-menu in a hunt for those elusive unlisted menu specialties that are available only to the knowing few and upon request/delivery of the secret handshake. The show airs at 9 p.m. and we just hope he checked out our extensive Question of the Day on this subject prior to filming...
• April 8, 2015 17:22 The Return of Alex Stratta: Originally slated to open late last year, the new small-plates concept from former Mirage/Wynn chef Alex Stratta opens for dinner at 5:30 p.m. at Tivoli Village, following an eleventh-hour venue change and a split from his partners that conspired to postpone the popular chef's return. Original plans for Tapas by Alex Stratta to occupy the spot vacated by Pizza Lounge were ditched in favor of the larger space that was briefly home to Poppy Den.
• April 8, 2015 11:50 Las Vegas Strip Club Update: While the "new" Club Paradise is apparently a lot like the old Club Paradise and is in hot water yet again over accusations of credit card fraud (one customer from Canada purportedly found himself hit with a $20,000+ unauthorized charge back in January...), there's good news for fans of the short-lived Seamless, which is back in action after closing in 2009. Located adjacent to the Orleans, just off Tropicana Ave., the club subsequently went through some rapid and failed experiments as Déjà Vu Erotic Ultra Lounge, an "urban" incarnation called Déjà Vu Strip Hop, and Vince Neil's Girls, Girls, Girls, which was meant to host rock concerts that never materialized.
For more on these stories, plus up-to-the-minute Las Vegas gentlemen's club, burlesque show, and topless pool reviews, event coverage, and great tips on saving money and maximizing fun, check out our sister site ToplessVegasOnline.com.
• April 8, 2015 10:50 Asian Food Fest Tomorrow: We just learned that on Thursday, April 9, the Las Vegas branch of the Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) will host the "Taste of Asia" networking event at Satay Thai Bistro & Bar (3900 Paradise Rd), featuring cuisine from Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, China, India, Nepal, the Philippines, and more. The event runs from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and local realtors will be on hand to offer professional advice. It's $10 for existing members, $25 for "future" members, and we assume you don't have to be Asian to attend. Visit the local chapter's website to register and for more information.
• April 8, 2015 10:36 Allegiant Adds New Route: Tulsa has joined the list of places from which travelers can now travel nonstop to Las Vegas with Allegiant, which is kicking off the new service with introductory fares as low as $57 one way. The new year-round flights operate three times weekly between Tulsa International Airport and McCarran.
• April 8, 2015 09:51 Second Term for Mayor Goodman: Actually, make that a second term for the second Mayor Goodman, with Carolyn last night having won 54.54 percent of votes in the latest mayoral race to follow her predecessor and husband Oscar with consecutive wins.
• April 8, 2015 09:44 Photo Galleries for New Reader Poll: There was a technical glitch with the links to the photo galleries that accompany today's new Reader Poll, which is about your favorite piece of Las Vegas architecturep; the elves have now done their job and it's fixed, so please check out the links in the "OTHER" voting-option box at the bottom, should you need a reminder about any of our suggestions.
• April 8, 2015 09:25 NHRA Fanfest Thursday: On Thursday, April 9, New York-New York hosts an NHRA Fanfest with drivers including Antron Brown, Tony Schumacher, Jason Line, Ron Capps, and Matt Hagan signing autographs and hosting a Q&A session from 5-7 p.m. Must be in line by 5:30 p.m. to guarantee autographs; first 200 fans receive a free hat.
• April 7, 2015 17:10 NCAA Woman's Basketball Finals Line: Connecticut is a -18 favorite over Notre Dame in the NCAA Woman's Basketball Championship game. The total is 148.
• April 7, 2015 16:27 Gambling-Tax Poll Closing: If you have an opinion on the IRS' plan to lower the threshold for declaring taxable gambling wins and you haven't yet voted in our current Reader Poll, you have until midnight tonight!
• April 7, 2015 12:28 Thursday Job Fair: National recruitment service Hire Live returns to Las Vegas on April 9, with a job fair at the Suncoast. Click for more details and a list of participating employers.
• April 7, 2015 10:23 IGT Purchase Finalized: The $6.4 billion acquisition of International Game Technology by Italy-based GTECH, the largest-ever merger in the gaming equipment-manufacturing sector, is officially a fact as of today. The new company will be headquartered in London but intends to retain its operating units in Nevada, with plans to expand its presence in Las Vegas and Reno, with with the global gaming operating unit headquartered to be based out of IGTs Vegas office, while the existing Reno manufacturing facility will become the primary production hub.
• April 7, 2015 10:16 Shareholders Advised to Reject All Wynn Board Nominees: As the battle between Elaine Wynn to retain her position on the board of Wynn Resorts continues, advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services has advised shareholders to reject both her and the company's preferred nominees as a show of dissatisfaction with a corporate-governance profile and executive-compensation program that "rank[s] among the worst, not the best of U.S. companies" ahead of the annual shareholder meeting scheduled for April 24.
• April 7, 2015 10:04 Get Happy (and Rowdy) at Hofbrauhaus: Bavarian beer hall Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas has introduced four new specials, including a new "Power Hour" lunch promo, daily "Hoppy" and "Rowdy" Hours; and a weekend offer for kids. The lunchtime offer runs weekdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. with rotating food specials and a promise to serve your meal on the house if your plate isn't delivered within 13 minutes; the daily happy and reverse happy hours run from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and from 9:30 p.m. to close, respectively, with food and drink specials starting at $4; and the new "Lil’ Hofs’ Day" promo runs Sundays only, from 11 a.m. to close, with kids ages 12 and under eating for free with every adult meal purchased.
• April 7, 2015 09:50 Dancer Juggles Date Night with the 'Day Job': In this week's column, video poker professional Bob Dancer examines equity, progressive jackpots, and assessing when it's worth compromising your social plans for a chance at "getting lucky" at "work" and when it isn't.
• April 6, 2015 16:39 NCAA Basketball Finals Line: Wisconsin is a -1 favorite over Duke in the NCAA Basketball Championship game. The total is 139.5.
• April 6, 2015 10:14 Second Shake Shack: Just months after opening at New York-New York, Shake Shack has announced a second location planned for Downtown Summerlin. The new location is scheduled to open in 2016.
• April 6, 2015 10:13 Free TV Tix: Complimentary tickets are available to be in the audience for the shooting of a new TV show with Penn & Teller. "Fool Us" will tape April 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, and 22 at the Rio. Must be at least 14 years old. Print tickets at mytvtickets.com.
• April 6, 2015 09:53 NCAA Woman's Basketball Championship Opening Line: In the opening line for the NCAA Woman's Basketball Championship, Connecticut as a -17 favorite over Notre Dame . The total is 147.
• April 5, 2015 16:12 Connecticut/Maryland Line: Connecticut is a -21 favorite over Maryland in the second semi-final game of the NCAA Woman's Basketball Championship. The total is 150.
• April 5, 2015 16:05 Opening Day: Lost in all the basketball hoopla is that today is opening day for the baseball season. In tonight's opener, the Chicago Cubs are -107 favorites over the St. Louis Cardinals. Or at least they are in some places. Early signs indicate that several sports books are switching to 15- and even 20-cent lines, which increases the book's edge compared to the 10-cent lines that used to be standard. The total is 7.
• April 5, 2015 14:52 South Carolina/Notre Dame Line: Notre Dame is a -3.5 favorite over South Carolina in the first semi-final game of the NCAA Woman's Basketball Championship. The total is 140.5.
• April 5, 2015 13:40 PokerStars Planning Return: One development that will have a positive effect on online gambling's prospects is a return of PokerStars to the market, and that may be close to happening. Amaya Gaming, owners of PokerStars, says it "expects to be up and running" in New Jersey by this fall, and is working to be licensed in California when online gaming is approved there. A daily fantasy sports product is also in the works to be released under the PokerStars brand.
• April 5, 2015 13:39 Online Gambling Estimates Cut: Morgan Stanley has drastically downsized its expectations for the U.S. online gambling market. The investment firm issued a report cutting its estimate for 2020 from $5 billion to $2.7 billion. Nearer term, the estimate for 2017 is $410 million, down from $1.3 billion. The report predicts that no new states will begin operations this year, but that California, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois will legalize some form of online gambling "within a few years."
• April 5, 2015 08:27 Happy Easter: Look for brunch and dinner specials all over town today. Players at El Cortez get a free slice of Marie Callender's strawberry pie from noon to 6 p.m. Check the Friday post in this space for other Easter events.
• April 4, 2015 17:52 NCAA Basketball Championship Opening Line: The opening line for the NCAA Basketball Championship between Duke and Wisconsin is pick 'em, meaning it's considered even and neither side is being given points on the betting line. The total is 141.
• April 4, 2015 15:34 Kentucky/Wisconsin Line: Kentucky is a -4.5 favorite over Wisconsin in the second semi-final game of the NCAA Basketball Championship. The total is 131.
• April 4, 2015 15:33 Duke/Michigan St. Line: Duke is a -5.5 favorite over Michigan State in the first semi-final game of the NCAA Basketball Championship. The total is 138.
• April 4, 2015 13:08 Revel Sale Part of Bigger Plan: Florida developer Glenn Straub has been cleared (again) to buy the Revel in Atlantic City, but that's only the beginning of his plans. Straub is attempting to buy the closed Showboat and possibly additional properties as part of a city-wide redevelopment he's calling "The Phoenix Project," complete details of which are yet to come.
• April 4, 2015 10:43 UFC Mendes/Lamas: In a rare afternoon card in the UFC, Chad Mendes is a -450 favorite over Ricardo Lamas in the main event. In the other featured match, Jorge Masvidal is -120 over Al Iaquinta.
• April 4, 2015 10:10 Tiger Big Dog: After announcing that he would play in the Masters, Tiger Woods was put up at 50-1 to win, but that couldn't last. He was quickly bet down to 26-1 and the number figures to drop farther. Rory McIlroy is the favorite at 6-1.
• April 3, 2015 18:11 Final Four Futures: With the Final Four playing tomorrow, the Final Future odds are up. The line to win the championship is Kentucky -120, Duke +300, Wisconsin +400, and Michigan State +1000. If you have a preference, you'll do better by parlaying the team you want over two games, as demonstrated by Frank B in an article at LVASports.com.
• April 3, 2015 13:14 HP Office Closed Friday Afternoon: The Huntington Press office is closed for the rest of the day as part of the Easter holiday. We apologize for any inconvenience. We'll be open again at 9 a.m. on Monday.
• April 3, 2015 12:18 UNLVino Twofer: Here's another deal opportunity, but there's a short window. Until noon tomorrow, you can get 2-for-1 tickets to UNLVino, running April 16-18. There are three sessions -- Champagnes, sake, and the Grand Tasting -- with tickets priced $100 and $125. The 2-for-1 offer is good for any or all sessions by going to UNLVTickets.com and entering the code "BOGO."
• April 3, 2015 11:23 Easter Events Around Town:
- The Brio Tuscan Grille is celebrating on Saturday, April 4th, with a special Bunny Brunch from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Along with a breakfast buffet, activities include photos with the Easter Bunny, an Easter-egg hunt, and more. Price $11.95 for adults and $5.95 for children. Locations: Tivoli Village and Town Square.
- Honey Salt (1031 S. Rampart Blvd.) hosts its 2nd annual Salt Easter-Egg Hunt and Sunday Brunch April 5th, with a special Easter-inspired menu, paint-a-cookie station, and other activities. Easter-egg hunts are scheduled for 10:30 a.m., Easter brunch starts at 10:30 a.m. and Easter dinner at 5 p.m.
- Aliante: Bistro 57 -- Easter dinner of lamb ragu with pappardelle for $20 on Sunday.; Salted Lime -- Easter Sunday dinner for $12 on Sunday.; FARM 24-7 – All-day breakfast special of Oscar Benedict with crab cakes and ham steak for $12 from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday.
- South Point – April 5 - Dining specials Easter Sunday at Baja Miguel’s for $19.95, Coronado Café for $14.95 for lunch and $37 for dinner, Garden Buffet for $19.95, Primarily Prime Rib for $29, and the Silverado Steakhouse for $49.
- House of Blues - The House of Blues inside Mandalay Bay will have Sunday brunch with seatings at 9 a.m., noon, and 3 p.m. Kids get an Easter basket with eggs filled with prizes and sweet treats, and the Easter Bunny will make a special appearance to take photos.
- Hop over to Springs Preserve April 5 for Easter Brunch. Reservations are available for 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Shake Shack, April 3-5 - Limited-edition chocolate Easter Egg concrete (single: $4.75 | double: $6.75), filled with rich vanilla frozen custard blended with salted marshmallow custard sauce and Mast Brothers chocolate chunks. Ten guests chosen randomly each day who purchase the Easter Concrete will win a free burger. Check under your concrete cup to see if you’re a winner.
- Town Square – Hop & Shop Easter Hunt and Family Festival, April 4th - Town Square and Mix 94.1 host the 7th Annual Hop & Shop, featuring activities for children from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. The event includes free egg hunts throughout the day, with the Easter Bunny, and other children’s activities. Please have children bring their own baskets to carry treats.
- Ethel M Chocolate factory & Botanical Gardens, April 3-5 - The Easter Bunny returns to the Cactus Garden from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday through Sunday. Children can pose for photos with Mr. Bunny (taken with your own camera at no charge or by a professional photographer for a fee). There will also be balloon artists and face painters.
- Bass Pro Shops, April 5th - Egg hunts for children 2 to 10 years old will take place Saturday and Sunday. Register at 1:30 p.m. at the main entrance. Children can have photos taken with the Easter Bunny and participate in coloring activities for free.
- Spring celebration and Foster Connection at Floyd Lamb Park, April 4th - Free and open to the public on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Amusement rides, jump houses, crafts, games, Las Vegas Farmers Market, community vendors, music, and more.
• April 3, 2015 09:37 Junefest Deal this Weekend: Tickets are just $9.63 for the June 6 Junefest concert if you buy them in person this weekend at any Station Casinos rewards booth. The offer is good beginning at 10 a.m. today through 11:30 p.m. on Sunday, at which time the price will be raised to $29. The concert at Sunset Station will feature Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Berlin with Terri Nunn, the Romantics, and John Waite.
• April 2, 2015 16:51 Indian Casinos Set Win Record: Native American casinos generated a gambling win of $28.3 billion in 2013, a slight .5% increase over 2012, but still a single-year record. The win came from 479 Indian casinos in 28 states. California led the way with a $7 billion win, followed by Oklahoma with $3.8 billion, and Florida and Washington with $2.3 billion each.
• April 2, 2015 11:49 Las Vegas Weekend highlights:
- The Hard Rock presents a diverse line-up this weekend with country superstar Kenny Chesney at The Joint (4/3-4) featuring a special Kenny Chesney Pre-Concert Pool Party at REHAB Pool with performances by Uncle Kracker and Dee Jay Silver (4/3), and Nekromantix(4/4) and Mushroomhead (4/5) at Vinyl
- It's fight night at Mandalay Bay with Knockout Boxing 2: Gabe Rosado vs Curtis Stevens (4/4), or spend the evening with comedian Hannibal Buress at The House of Blues (4/4)
- The South Point welcomes long-standing star, Tony Orlando (4/3-5) and for gun enthusiast, there's the Rocky Mountain Gun Show (4/4-5)
- Downtown festivities include First Friday: Wavelengths - Get Your Geek On (4/3) and Pinoy Pride Celebration at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center (4/3-5)
- The Vegas Beer & Music Festival is hosted by SLS (4/3), The Orleans welcomes Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend (4/2-5) and the Palms features the 2015 Jay Cutler Desert Classic on (4/4). There's also the 7th Annual Walk With Me at Wayne Bunker Family Park (4/4)
- Sam's Town features a classic Las Vegas Dinner Show with Michael Berkowitz and the Gene Krupa Orchestra (4/4)
- Legendary singer, Diana Ross will perform "The Essential Diana Ross" at the Venetian (4/3-4)
- High on Fire are center stage at Backstage Bar & Billiards (4/5)
- Bobby Kimball with Kenny Cetera are featured at the Cannery (4/5)
- Comedians Jackson Perdue & Robert Duchaine entertain guests at the Riviera (4/2-5)
- M Resort welcomes Philippene singer, Martin Nievera (4/4)
- And The Four Freshmen bring their unique brand of vocal harmony to the Suncoast (4/4-5)
• April 2, 2015 11:10 Basketball Bet Gets Noticed: Talk about a savvy move. In addition to being in a good financial spot with his $20K bet on Michigan State to win the NCAA Basketball Tournament, D and Golden Gate owner Derek Stevens has generated a bonanza of PR for his potential $1 million payday, including coverage in the Wall Street Journal. For a good analysis of the bet itself, check out the coverage at LVASports.com.
• April 2, 2015 10:40 Fukuburger Stands Alone: Having made its name with food trucks, Fukuburger has opened what it's calling its first stand-alone restaurant at the Hawaiian Marketplace on the Strip. We're not sure why the non-mobile stall it occupied at the former F.A.M.E. in the LINQ Promenade wasn't considered "stand-alone," but this one is for sure and is open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and till midnight on the weekends.
• April 2, 2015 10:08 Allegiant Strike Averted: A planned strike by pilots at Allegiant Air was averted when a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order prohibiting the walkout nine hours before the strike deadline. As of now, all planes are flying as scheduled; however, the airline and the union are scheduled to be back in court next week with a strike still possible down the line. Allegiant has set up a call center to answer passenger questions at 773-358-1811; wait times are likely to be long.
• April 1, 2015 14:55 Vegas Left off Boozing List: How do you leave Las Vegas off a list of the "Best Drinking Cities in America"? Thrillist did, citing 11 cities, including Cleveland and Asheville, NC, in its list, but not Vegas. If 90 casinos and who-knows-how-many bars giving booze away for free 24/7 doesn't qualify, then we admit that we don't understand what makes a good drinking city. We're pretty sure, though, that it's Thrillist that doesn't understand.
• April 1, 2015 13:48 Virgin Interviews Anthony: We knew that would get your attention, but this is Virgin Airlines, which is currently running an interview with Anthony Curtis on its blog. Check it out at blog.virgin-atlantic.com
• April 1, 2015 11:26 Big Multiplier Today: For ages 50+, today is Young at Heart Day at Orleans, Gold Coast, Suncoast, and Sam's Town, offering several good incentives, including a 2-for-1 buffet, $4 movies, and big bonus-point multiples up to 50X points (from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.). This isn't just an April Fools special; it's offered every Wednesday until further notice.
• April 1, 2015 09:59 Happy April Fool's Day Everyone: Madame Tussauds Las Vegas teamed up with the Blue Man Group for the ultimate April Fool’s Day prank!