Compiled by LVA Research
• May 3, 2016 18:51 Downtown Coin - the Update: Our man-about-downtown, VitalVegas.com, confirms that the California, Fremont, and Main Street Station (Boyd) casinos still both have coin-out slots/video poker games, even though they are hiding their respective lights under some serious bushels. Great news (but why no mention on your websites? People want to know this stuff!) Thanks for saving us a phone call or three, Mr Vital. (Not that most machines these days, even if they pay out in coins, will only accept a TITO buy-in, so don't count on skipping change fees by lugging your nickels to the casino.)
• May 3, 2016 15:25 Legalize It! -- Yay or Nay? Pot Poll Ends Tonight: Our current hot-topic Reader Poll on the subject of weed and how you feel about the concept of Nevada legalizing pot for recreational purposes, closes at midnight; so get your vote in if you haven't already, because everyone has an opinion on this topic -- and we want to know yours!
• May 3, 2016 14:02 Win a Stay in Real World Suite: The Oasis at Gold Spike is hosting a winner-takes-all "Real World Suite" contest, for the chance to score a two-night getaway in the TV-featured penthouse suite. Just answer a simple question to enter your name in the draw (and score extra chances by spreading the word on social media). Contest ends June 1, when the lone winner will be named.
• May 3, 2016 10:05 Demise of Downtown Coin Machines: With last year's quiet replacement of all the vintage coin machines on the second floor of the D (with the exception of the sacred Sigma Derby, of course) and the impending late-June closure of La Bayou and Mermaids, we're pretty sure that the Plaza and the El Cortez are the only casinos remaining downtown where fans of the coin-bucket days can still get an old-school slot or video poker fix.
• May 3, 2016 09:40 The Zen Master of Video Poker Speaks!: In this week's column, a tongue-in-cheek Bob Dancer reflects on the importance of humility (and strategy cards) in the life of a video poker guru.
• May 3, 2016 09:28 Secret-Passageway (and Stardust-Carpet) Discoveries at Binion's: Thanks to a leaky ceiling, and an intrepid social media person, Binion's has been posting some cool findings on their Facebook page recently, including a gem-of-a-cartoon from the 1984 World Series of Poker (prize if we can name all the players?!), and some awesome "backstage" footage in part of the shuttered hotel, where discoveries include multiple secret escape routes (keep scrolling), plus some original carpet from the Stardust! (As a bonus fact, former lovable downtown dive the Western featured leftover "Atomic" carpet from the Plaza on the casino floor, we noted while it was still open.)
• May 3, 2016 08:32 Soccer Mega-Long-Shot Comes In: In clinching the championship in English soccer's Premier League yesterday, Leicester City pulled off one of the biggest sports upsets of all time. While it's difficult to compare to one-off upsets such as Buster Douglass beating Mike Tyson or the U.S. hockey team's "Miracle on Ice," the odds were far longer against a Leicester championship, with English bookmakers reportedly taking bets at 5,000-1 at the beginning of the season. That's right, a $100 bet by one of the Leicester faithful (they hadn't won the championship in 132 years in the league) paid $500,000.
• May 2, 2016 16:14 Cantina Out, Pub 365 In at Tuscany: Following the closure, a couple of weeks back, of The Cantina Mexican restaurant at Tuscany Casino, comes word that opening in the spot will be Pub 365, currently slated for a July debut.
• May 2, 2016 12:29 Paid DFS Out of Idaho: After three months of negotiations, Daily Fantasy Sports giants DraftKings and FanDuel have agreed to cease offering any paid DFS contests in the state of Idaho, effective today, May 1, pending future regulation of the industry or future court rulings. Existing players in Idaho will have their balances returned and accounts closed in a timely manner, according to the terms of the agreement reached with the District Attorney.
• May 2, 2016 11:21 Lion Found in Desert: Fear not, hikers, it's not an escapee from the Lion Habitat, but instead the golden lion statue, stolen over the weekend from its erstwhile home as part of a street-art exhibit on the median at Decatur and Flamingo, has been found abandoned in the desert. The recovered lion, which appears to be unharmed by its ordeal, is now in police protective custody.
For more coverage of Nevadan roadside-art mysteries, check out today's Question of the Day.
• May 2, 2016 10:32 Atlantic City Dodges Bullet, for Now...: Atlantic City made a $1.8 million bond payment Monday morning, narrowly averting what would have been the first default for a New Jersey municipality since the Great Depression, reports the Wall Street Journal. However, at a press conference Don Guardian, mayor of the beleaguered East Coast gambling destination, cautioned that, "Financially we're running on fumes. We really are teetering on the edge." Two proposed financial-rescue packages remain stalled in the legislature and there are insufficient funds to cover much outside of payroll and school funding.
• May 2, 2016 09:43 Cabanas for a Cause at the Palms: Actually, it's cabanas for two causes today: Rent a poolside daybed or cabana at Palms Pool & Bungalows today and $100 of the fee will be donated to the Neon Museum or Hope for a Cause, a local non-profit aimed at preventing homelessness and aiding the poorest communities with practical assistance.
• May 1, 2016 20:13 New Street Art Stolen: It's only been a matter of days since one of ten new permanent art installations, part of a Clark County initiative titled "Centered," was installed on the median at Flamingo and Decatur, but already the gold lion has been stolen and the accompanying pink alligators -- the work of artist Chris Bauder -- vandalized, we just learned via the official county Twitter account. A police report will be filed.
• May 1, 2016 15:03 Adios, Sports Authority: All 450 Sports Authority stores nationwide are to close, including the two in Las Vegas, following in the sneakersteps of Sports Chalet.
• May 1, 2016 14:19 South Point Bonuses in May: Every Mon.-Wed. in May, earn 300 same-day points at South Point to get a swipe for free-play, comps, and bonus points worth an advertised combined total of $500,000. The play requirement for this promo used to be 200 points, but this is still an easy play for $300 coin-in on South Point's good video poker schedules.
• May 1, 2016 13:42 May Casino Promos Posted at Frugal Vegas: The Queen of Comps has posted her monthly round-up of off-Strip casino offerings at Frugal Vegas, so check it out.
• May 1, 2016 10:16 Buffet Twofer at Silverton: Get a 2-for-1 buffet at Silverton today, good for brunch or dinner. There's no play necessary; just use your club card to print out a voucher at a kiosk. This deal will be offered every Sunday in May, except May 8).